Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

As a follow-up to Kdiff's comments about the Wilman and Bird, good article about them and Lafferty in BDH - http://www.browndailyherald.com/2015...or-second-act/

Comment

I attended both of the scrimmages on Sunday. The biggest change in my opinion is the forward depth with four potential combinations upfront that could contribute. No question this team should be more competitive this year and beyond. Need to limit the dumb penalties.... for whatever reason we have a tendency to hit people from behind (to which yale will $ more often than not).

Comment

I'm doing the KRACH-based final standings again. Here's the thread. Come have a look, and talk about it. Thanks!
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Only 2 days + ~6 hours to get your picks in. Remember Friday at 7PM is the cutoff.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...78#post6214478
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
            Need to limit the dumb penalties.... for whatever reason we have a tendency to hit people from behind
            This bothered the crap out of me. There was no need whatsoever to take a bunch of potentially dangerous boarding penalties, especially in a scrimmage. That needs to stop now, or else we're going to see some players get suspensions this year.

Comment

With a regular season just a few days away, Brown has lost a first year who had committed way back in 2013, as Tim Doherty has returned to juniors. He's not on the roster any more.

Not sure what kind of contributor he was expected to be, but I'd have to imagine that's disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                With a regular season just a few days away, Brown has lost a first year who had committed way back in 2013, as Tim Doherty has returned to juniors. He's not on the roster any more.

Not sure what kind of contributor he was expected to be, but I'd have to imagine that's disappointing.
                http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...tet-st-georges
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

It was my understanding this'll at Doherty was a prized recruit, and was expected to be a big contributor throughout his Brown career. So that's not good.

Comment

Poor Brendan Whittet - he successfully recruited a quartet of blue chip talents (Kevin Roy, Blake Weyrick, Miles Wood and Tim Doherty) and none of them ever played a game at Brown. Not to mention the transfer of Nate Widman, who had been VERY promising prior to his injury.

What a shame. We could, in theory, have one of the best offenses in the country had those players all panned out.

Comment

The team should have a "revenge game" mindset against Holy Cross this weekend. Two main factors I will be watching for: can the bottom six generate any offensive zone time or legitimate scoring changes, and the defensive chemistry with so many freshman slotted to receive playing time.

Comment

Less than 12 hours to go to get your picks in. 7PM tonight is the deadline.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...test-2015-2016
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

A friend of mine is a BC season ticket holder and brought me to their game against Denver last night. Miles Wood was the best player on the ice - he scored a beautiful breakaway goal and provided a gorgeous assist in which he threaded the needle between a defender's stick and skate to find a teammate who simply had to chip the puck into the wide open net. He was all over the ice offensively and defensively, and showed great speed, puck control, vision and physicality.

I don't mean to beat the dead horse on lost recruits, and I won't bring it up again here, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I saw Wood play for the first time and was so impressed.

Anyway - the season starts tonight! It's been a LONG offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                            A friend of mine is a BC season ticket holder and brought me to their game against Denver last night. Miles Wood was the best player on the ice - he scored a beautiful breakaway goal and provided a gorgeous assist in which he threaded the needle between a defender's stick and skate to find a teammate who simply had to chip the puck into the wide open net. He was all over the ice offensively and defensively, and showed great speed, puck control, vision and physicality.

I don't mean to beat the dead horse on lost recruits, and I won't bring it up again here, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I saw Wood play for the first time and was so impressed.

Anyway - the season starts tonight! It's been a LONG offseason.
                            My impressions were exactly the same upon watching him play against RPI

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                              The team should have a "revenge game" mindset against Holy Cross this weekend. Two main factors I will be watching for: can the bottom six generate any offensive zone time or legitimate scoring changes, and the defensive chemistry with so many freshman slotted to receive playing time.
                              Good points. Hope you will be at game and provide here your thoughts. I am stuck with the computer broadcast but that broadcast really fails to give you the same view as being at the game.

Comment

HOLY CROSS 7 - BROWN 5

Not a pretty game. I'll only mention the positives:

1. The first line of Mark Naclerio, Nick Lappin and freshman Tommy Marchin was terrific. It looks like Marchin is a player.

2. The freshman defensemen played solidly. Brady Schoo is a smooth skater with great hockey sense. Will Scherer and Max Gottlieb were fine.

3. Sophomore Lafferty continues to improve. He made several excellent plays both offensively and defensively.

4. Freshman Alex Brink was the most (only?) physical player for Brown. He made a great play to set up Joe Prescott's goal. (However, he also took a bad penalty late in the third period...) Brink started on the fourth line but finished on the third line. I'd move him up one notch. He can play the game at this level. He reminds me of a young Aaron Volpatti.

Comment

Working...
                                X