Scholarship Schools v. Non-Scholarship schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship Schools v. Non-Scholarship schools

This question has probably been covered somewhere but my quick perusal of old threads didn't turn up anything so I'll ask it here. Can a non-scholarship school, if it was so inclined, give out "financial aid" to as many players as it wanted to and if so, would that give it a competitive advantage? In other words - assume this hypothetical: Nonscholarship school decides it wants to compete at the highest level. It loosens the strings to its "financial aid" so that its financial aid package is competitive with scholarship schools. However, it is not limited to the 18 scholarships that scholarship schools have. Essentially it has an unlimited pool of money to work with. Conceivably it could really pack its roster with more good players. Of course, this hypothetical ignores the fact that the non-scholarship schools claim to have limitations and rules etc. But just for the sake of discussion, could they do this if they wanted to?

Re: Scholarship Schools v. Non-Scholarship schools

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    This question has probably been covered somewhere but my quick perusal of old threads didn't turn up anything so I'll ask it here. Can a non-scholarship school, if it was so inclined, give out "financial aid" to as many players as it wanted to and if so, would that give it a competitive advantage? In other words - assume this hypothetical: Nonscholarship school decides it wants to compete at the highest level. It loosens the strings to its "financial aid" so that its financial aid package is competitive with scholarship schools. However, it is not limited to the 18 scholarships that scholarship schools have. Essentially it has an unlimited pool of money to work with. Conceivably it could really pack its roster with more good players. Of course, this hypothetical ignores the fact that the non-scholarship schools claim to have limitations and rules etc. But just for the sake of discussion, could they do this if they wanted to?
    You can give out financial aid to everyone. But there are all kinds of NCAA and conference rules that prevent a team from offering student athletes better financial aid than non-student athletes.

Comment

Yes, its called Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton ....

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        Yes, its called Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton ....
        I guess that is part of my question. Do those schools actually do that? Judging from results one could say maybe Harvard does but it doesn't look like any of the others do.

Comment

Judging from results one could say maybe Harvard does but it doesn't look like any of the others do.
          And the rich get richer: http://www.wsj.com/articles/hedge-fu...340902?tesla=y
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I guess that is part of my question. Do those schools actually do that? Judging from results one could say maybe Harvard does but it doesn't look like any of the others do.
            The Ivy League FA packages are based on the ability to demonstrate financial need. If you have few financial resources, you could very likely get a full ride at any of the Ivy League schools. If you have a lot of financial resources, you will not get any aid regardless of how good a hockey player you are. In between, there is some room for interpretation and schools do take some liberties. But they are 10% liberties, not 50% liberties. The Ivy's don't offer huge FA packages to kids who don't have demonstrated need just because they are good at something (hockey included). The whole league structure and rules are set up to prevent exactly this from happening and the schools respect the rules.

I know several very good (national camp level) hockey players who were from families with average financial situations (NE prep school kids) who wanted to go to Ivies and thought because they were offered full rides at BC, BU, Wisconsin, etc. that Harvard, Princeton, and Yale would open up the coffers to get them. They didn't. Some decided to take the lower package and go to the Ivy, some decided to take the full scholarship and go elsewhere. Personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              The Ivy League FA packages are based on the ability to demonstrate financial need. If you have few financial resources, you could very likely get a full ride at any of the Ivy League schools. If you have a lot of financial resources, you will not get any aid regardless of how good a hockey player you are. In between, there is some room for interpretation and schools do take some liberties. But they are 10% liberties, not 50% liberties. The Ivy's don't offer huge FA packages to kids who don't have demonstrated need just because they are good at something (hockey included). The whole league structure and rules are set up to prevent exactly this from happening and the schools respect the rules.

I know several very good (national camp level) hockey players who were from families with average financial situations (NE prep school kids) who wanted to go to Ivies and thought because they were offered full rides at BC, BU, Wisconsin, etc. that Harvard, Princeton, and Yale would open up the coffers to get them. They didn't. Some decided to take the lower package and go to the Ivy, some decided to take the full scholarship and go elsewhere. Personal preference.
              Thanks. I think that answers my question. Its interesting that the Ivies choose to restrict themselves when for the most part, they are the schools with the most money and could really tilt the ice in their favor athletically if they so chose. Obviously they have chosen a different path.

Comment

Thanks. I think that answers my question. Its interesting that the Ivies choose to restrict themselves when for the most part, they are the schools with the most money and could really tilt the ice in their favor athletically if they so chose. Obviously they have chosen a different path.
                In my limited experience, the Ivies can be very, very generous to even "normal" income families. Yes, if you are "rich", you probably will not get a lot of, or any, aid, but you probably don't need it. They are all pretty similar, but if your kid has independent resources (college funds in her name), Princeton asks for the least amount of money from her. Also, I know a kid who happened to get a scholarship or sponsor from a wealthy individual/alumni at one Ivy.

The bigger issue is not money because if you need it you will get it at an Ivy (or even Union for that matter). It is the fact that these schools have high academic standards of who they let in - and this is regulated by the league in the case of the Ivies (the "Academic Index" rule). If your daughter is being recruited by Ivies and is interested, I'd recommend "Playing the Game" by Chris Lincoln.

Comment

Working...
                X