A call for Rutgers hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call for Rutgers hockey

The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey.

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-athletics-make-ncaa-ice-hockey-a-reality-at-rutgers-university

It's a call for attention but no actual info regarding financial or institutional support. Still nice to see the effort though.

Re: A call for Rutgers hockey

Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Isn't/wasn't Rutgers in one of the worst financial situations for an athletic department in the country?
      Yes, but they lead the nation in irrational ambition
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

As someone who grew up in Central NJ and had a lot of friends who went to Rutgers, it'd be a great place for college hockey to build a greater presence.

That said, Rutgers' AD is a toxic leader, the athletic finances are a total mess, and there is no arena suitable for Division I hockey in New Brunswick or anywhere else nearby. They'd need a Pegula-esque gift for it to happen.

Also notable is that the "petition" is being put together by the club team's assistant coach - who'd likely be quickly shown the door, along with all of the other staff, if they ever did start a Division I program.
        St. Lawrence '02

Comment

Some good articles summarizing the attempted grass roots movement. Obviously a fan desire won't do it alone. These days it takes rich donors with money to burn. But what makes a donor do it? Can a grass roots movement attract a donor? Having passionate fans is a key to ongoing success which is at least something a donor would have to consider...

So waste of time or good ideas to hopefully increase the odds of donations? If you were implementing a grass roots campaign what steps would you take?

I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...ockey-program/

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...carlet-knights

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
            The Rutgers ACHA club and alumni are making a pitch to make the jump to NCAA hockey.
            Is that Bi6 conference really that desperate to add another team? On a list of schools likely to create a new D-I hockey program in the near future, I don't think they are even in the top 100.
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                Indeed, they cut several programs a few years back, some that were deep in history and with a tradition of excellence.
                Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Tradition of excellence... at Rutgers? I thought all they had was the first football game and that one good year of women's bball that got tarnished by Imus.
                  150+ years of rowing. The first organized sport at the university. Medals at several collegiate championship regattas over the years, and a long list of Olympian alumni.

So excellence in the relative sense anyway.

Reduced to club status in 2007.
                  Last edited by ericredaxe; 06-04-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post

I'm seriously considering checking out the cost of a billboard on I-90 and making a plea for adding Illinois hockey. Maybe the Chicago Tribune picks it up?

A billboard of the size required to be effective on a high speed highway in South Bend might coast as much as $5000 for 30 days, depending on the attractiveness of the location for the advertising. In Chicago the cost would be significantly higher for a similar reach. I spent years in the industry.

Comment

Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.

Comment

Here's an interview with one of the people spearheading the movement, Adriaan Klaasen, assistant coach for their ACHA D1 team. He sounds more hopeful than naive. The tone is it's an uphill task but it has to start somewhere. Obviously still long odds but you gotta give the guy credit for the effort.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/6/7/8...at-hockey-team

Comment

Originally posted by el_norte View Post
                          In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.
                          huh?

Comment

Originally posted by el_norte View Post
                            Would love to see Rutgers in B1G hockey someday. In my opinion a B1G hockey conference composed of North Dakota (hockey affiliate only) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Connecticut would be the best situatuon for the B1G.
                            Better idea. Kick out Rutgers, get Syracuse, Syracuse starts a team.

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Better idea. Kick out Rutgers, get Syracuse, Syracuse starts a team.

UConn and Rutgers can go find their own conference.
                              UConn already has a conference.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X