USA Hockey Womens U18 Select 66 Camp Invites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USA Hockey Womens U18 Select 66 Camp Invites

Obviously the D1 coaches are making decisions based on politics not talent.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Are you saying the rest of us have a chance??
    It will be an interesting to see what happens. UConn gets the star of the U18. WI gets Ms Hockey MN and Princeton gets the MN goal scoring champ.

Meanwhile MN takes a Canadian and another from North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

It will be an interesting to see what happens. UConn gets the star of the U18. WI gets Ms Hockey MN and Princeton gets the MN goal scoring champ.

MN picks up the USA U18 Captain and assistant captain (one from MN and other from ND border) who have 2 Gold Medals for USA and 3 Tier 1 National Championships and a second place in 4 years at Shattuck St Mary's. MN also adds the Captain of the U18 Canadian team. They also add a MN Ms. Hockey finalist at the blue line. The WCHA transfer from MSU is eligible this year as well. I think MN got the players they wanted for the most part and will continue to get most of them in the coming years.

Comment

And Ohio State has 4 commits from this list of players participating from Minny.
        Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
          MN picks up the USA U18 Captain and assistant captain (one from MN and other from ND border) who have 2 Gold Medals for USA and 3 Tier 1 National Championships and a second place in 4 years at Shattuck St Mary's. MN also adds the Captain of the U18 Canadian team. They also add a MN Ms. Hockey finalist at the blue line. The WCHA transfer from MSU is eligible this year as well. I think MN got the players they wanted for the most part and will continue to get most of them in the coming years.
          The Minnesota thread predicts that the whole 4th line will consist of former U18 players and recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
            I think MN got the players they wanted for the most part and will continue to get most of them in the coming years.
            Don't they always? Everyone else has to fight over their crumbs on the floor. Fortunately for UW, the rodents have their tiny little mouths so stuffed with whatever the rodents eat there are enough edible crumbs on the floor for UW to field a decent team. Once UW cleans up the edible crumbs, however, the rest of you all are out of luck.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Girls U-18 Select PDC - Day 2 Recap

06/28/2016, 12:15pm EDT

By Moira Sweeney - Special to USAHockey.com

BIDDEFORD, Maine – Team Red claimed its first victory of the USA Hockey Girls U-18 Select Player Development Camp yesterday, topping Team Gold in an overtime win, 3-2. Team White remained undefeated, beating Team Blue, 3-2, at the Harold Alfond Forum on the campus of University of New England.

Emma Seitz (New York, N.Y.) collected the puck at the point and wristed it over the goaltender’s shoulder to give Team Gold an early 1-0 lead.

Later, Team Red’s Grace Lee (Superior, Colo.) stole the puck on the offensive blue line and deked around the goaltender to stuff the puck in along the far post, knotting the game at 1-1.

Catherine Skaja (New Prague, Minn.) regained the lead for Team Gold after she picked up a loose puck at the hash marks and stickhandled her way to the front of the net, lifting the puck past the goaltender’s glove.

Team Red rallied once again and tied the score at 2-2 with a five-on-three power-play goal. Nicole LaMantia (Wayne, Ill.) moved the puck to Cyrstalyn Hengler (Eden Prairie, Minn.) at the point, who shot into a crowd in front of the net where Clair DeGeorge (Anchorage, Alaska) flipped it over the goalie and into the net.

Regulation time ended in a tie, forcing the game into a four-on-four, five-minute overtime. DeGeorge scored the overtime game-winning goal for Team Red. She caused a turnover in the offensive zone and eventually turned it into a backhanded goal for the win.

In between the two games, a quartet of United States Women’s National Team members took a break from their PDC coaching duties and signed autographs in the lobby of the rink. The group included Kacey Bellamy (Westfield, Mass.), Brianna Decker (Dousman, Wis.), Meghan Duggan (Danvers, Mass.) and Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson (Grand Forks, N.D.).

Team White took the early lead in the second game when Sharon Frankel (West Hartford, Conn.) tapped in a rebound that was shot by Margaret Flaherty (Lakeville, Minn.) from the point.

Sadie Peart (Grand Rapids, Minn.) extended Team White’s lead to 2-0 after skating the puck in from the half wall and wristed it in top-shelf.

Team Blue cut Team White’s lead in half when Taylor Heise (Lake City, Minn.) knocked in the puck from a scrum in front of the Team White goaltender.

Team White extended its lead to 3-1 with a goal from Abigail Boreen (Somerset, Wis.). Christina Kampa (Maple Grove, Minn.) took a shot from the point that bounced off a Team Blue defender’s skate and Boreen quickly slapped it home.

Grace Zumwinkle (Excelsior, Minn.) scored a Team Blue power-play goal with less than two minutes remaining to make it 3-2. Giana Savastano (Mapleville, R.I.) passed the puck from the corner to Zumwinkle along the top of the circle, who skated to the hash marks before firing a shot that pulled Blue within a single goal.

Team Blue pulled their goaltender for an extra-skater advantage, but was unable to force the game into overtime.

Standings through June 27 games:

Team White 2 points

Team Blue 1 point

Team Red 1 point

Team Gold 0 points

Comment

Girls U-18 Select PDC - Day 3 Recap

06/29/2016, 5:30pm EDT

By Moira Sweeney - Special to USAHockey.com

BIDDEFORD, Maine – In the third day of games at the U18 Select Player Development Camp, Team Red defeated Team Blue 4-2 to earn a spot the championship game on Thursday, June 30. Team White also solidified their spot in the championship after defeating Team Gold 3-1.

Jesse Compher (Central) started off the scoring for Team Red on the power play by tapping a loose puck sitting on the goal line after Lolita Fidler (Minnesota) took a hard shot from the left face-off dot.

Clair DeGeorge (Pacific) added the second Team Red Goal when Compher passed the puck from the corner to DeGeorge in the slot, who quickly turned on the puck and fired it home.

Team Red took a 3-0 lead when Crystalyn Hengler (Minnesota) took a high shot from the top of the circle that went in cleanly. Natalie Heising (Minnesota) assisted on the goal.

Team Blue got on the board when Ramsey Parent (Minnesota) fed Giana Savastano (Rhode Island) the puck on the point. Savastano took a shot that snuck through off the far post and into the back of the net.

Fiddler added to the Team Red lead by collecting the puck off the half wall, skating the puck towards the net, shooting the puck along the near post and over the goaltender’s glove.

Team Blue cut Red’s lead to 4-2 when Natalie Buchbinder (New York) dropped the puck to Grace Markey (Michigan) in the slot. Markey one-timed the puck over the goaltender’s shoulder.

In the second game of the day, Taylor Wente (Minnesota) opened the scoring on a breakaway after a feed from Greta Skarzynski (Central).

Elana Zingas (Michigan) extended Team White’s lead to 2-0, knocking in a rebound in a three-on-one rush.

Team Gold cut White’s lead in half when Kylie Hanley (Minneosta) picked up a loose puck in the offensive zone, skated into the slot, and fired the puck past the goaltender.

Sharon Frankel (New England) added an empty-net goal to secure Team White’s 3-1 victory.

Team White and Team Red will face off in the championship game at 10:00 a.m. on June 30. Team Blue and Team Gold will face off in the bronze game at 8:00 a.m. on June 30.

Comment

While I am not from Minnesota, I feel the crying over too many players coming out of there is without merit. First of all, there are many more girls registered in Minnesota then any other district in the US. Secondly, it is what it is. Want to have more players from your district, get better. I have listened to so many parents who make this comment and claim their one or two teams in their state that are travel teams can hang with MN. If MN wanted, they could build 25 teams that could compete at nationals. They are spread out over hundreds of teams around the state. They are simply better. No different than Florida being better at football or baseball. More kids playing, conditions allowing to play year around etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are talented female players all over the country. Just not at the pure numbers of MN.

As far as U of M getting best girls. Again, no different than Alabama getting football players, duke getting Basketball. HAve you seen the facility? They have their own rink for women team and it is beautiful. Compare that to OSU or the other facilities and yeah, they are going there. Not a real recruitment challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Healthyscratch View Post
                    As far as U of M getting best girls. Again, no different than Alabama getting football players, duke getting Basketball. HAve you seen the facility? They have their own rink for women team and it is beautiful. Compare that to OSU or the other facilities and yeah, they are going there. Not a real recruitment challenge.
                    When all your other sports suck you can dump a lot into a women's hockey program.......and you have to admit UW has a decent barn too.

Comment

While I am not from Minnesota, I feel the crying over too many players coming out of there is without merit. First of all, there are many more girls registered in Minnesota then any other district in the US. Secondly, it is what it is. Want to have more players from your district, get better. I have listened to so many parents who make this comment and claim their one or two teams in their state that are travel teams can hang with MN. If MN wanted, they could build 25 teams that could compete at nationals. They are spread out over hundreds of teams around the state. They are simply better. No different than Florida being better at football or baseball. More kids playing, conditions allowing to play year around etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are talented female players all over the country. Just not at the pure numbers of MN.

I think there was only one Minnesota native on the 2016 senior women's national team at worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        ...and you have to admit UW has a decent barn too.
                        Most uncomfortable seats in the conference, which is quite an accomplishment with St. Cloud in the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          Most uncomfortable seats in the conference, which is quite an accomplishment with St. Cloud in the competition.
                          I've only had the pleasure of sitting in LaBahn's seats, do you mean to tell me there are better ones than those? Maybe I should not have had the same seats installed in my house that surrounding the tv? EGads!

Comment

I'm also standing so frequently to sieve the opposing goalie and yell at the refs over the glass I hardly notice them.

Comment

Nope, sorry but to my anatomy SCSU has the worst seats.

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                              I think there was only one Minnesota native on the 2016 senior women's national team at worlds.
                              And that proves what? I'm not seeing a point.

Exactly, its like complaining that too many hockey players come from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                And that proves what? I'm not seeing a point.
                                I think the point was Hannah Brandt and Rachel Ramsey (for example) aren't good enough to play on that team

Comment

Working...
                                X