Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best current Ivy League Womens programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best current Ivy League Womens programs?

Other than Harvard and Cornell, which Ivy League schools have the best Women's programs? Which get the most athletic department support?

Re: Best current Ivy League Womens programs?

Originally posted by dad77 View Post
    Other than Harvard and Cornell, which Ivy League schools have the best Women's programs? Which get the most athletic department support?
    What type of support from the AD are you looking for?

Comment

Just a general support question. Good facilities for womens program, staff, etc.

Comment

Just a general support question. Good facilities for womens program, staff, etc.
        They all play in older rinks that are pretty much empty when the women play.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
          They all play in older rinks that are pretty much empty when the women play.
          They might be older rinks, but several have had recent upgrades and renovations, and some have real character. For example the Hobie Baker Rink at Princeton is full of history. It is old, but also very unique.

Comment

Welcome. I assume you are asking because your daughter hopes to attend one of these Ivies some day. Here are my inputs (seen each of the rinks and schools and talked to many of the coaches). Assume they are all strong academically but some may have specific majors that are better depending on what your daughter wants to do. Attendance and student interest is pretty much non-existent at all of the schools.

- Harvard - By far the most consistently good program. Great facilities (rink and school), good coach, good admin/ath dept support (despite what the Harvard posters complain about). This is the primo Ivy program - but if your daughter isn't a U-18 level player US or Canada or an Assabet/Nobles player she probably isn't going to have much of a chance at making the recruiting cut.
            - Cornell - Recently the second best program. Good facilities (rink is quite nice if you like the style - some don't), coach has a done a good job over the past 5 years, OK admin/ath dept support. Way different school feel (more big school than other Ivies). Tends to mostly get better Canadian players and for some reason struggles to fill the bench with a full roster every season.
            - Dartmouth - Used to be very strong program, has really dropped off. Rink is again very nice - surprisingly large when you get inside because it is dug into the ground. Coach is a good coach but has a reputation of being very caustic - some of the e-mails I have seen that he sent recruits are downright insulting (kids that ended up successful at other D1 schools) - why is it necessary to insult a kid you aren't interested in? He generally lets the Assts do all the recruiting now....probably a good move. School provides some support but spotty. High number of Canadiens typically.
            - Princeton - Always middle of the road. Rink is very historic but also very old and facilities aren't great (very cramped). Coach has been successful enough to stay a long time but not successful enough to provide much program post-season success - debatable how strong a coach he is. Kids who tend to go there aren't just quite good enough to be top of the list at other Ivies but REALLY want an Ivy education. Admin rarely shows an interest in women's ice hockey (could change with new athletic director).
            - Yale - Up and coming. Coach has improved recruiting significantly and brought in way better players than in the past - but doesn't appear able to turn them into a winning team (seemed to be heading that way but took a step back this year IMHO). Also strong Assabet/Nobles connections (he came from Harvard and seems to be mirroring their approach). Rink is the Whale - look it up - truly unique - school has put a lot of money into the player locker rooms and facilities and the men won a NCAA championship which brought some money in and marginally helped he women's team. Admin seems supportive.
            - Brown - Down and out but new coach, so who knows. Rink facilities are simply not on par with other programs. Admin has little interest in women's hockey. A losing culture has developed after early years of much success. Will take a lengthy process to turn the program around. Not sure if the new coach is the guy to do it or not - time will tell.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Fall of 2016 (I.e. 17 months from now for those who cannot read) will be the first year in forever that Assabet U19 will not put a single player into an Ivy for hockey. Who will pick up the slack?
              Last edited by BCAlum; 04-28-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCAlum View Post
                Fall of 2016 will be the first year in forever that Assabet U19 will not put a single player into an Ivy for hockey. Who will pick up the slack?
                Not true. Two players to Brown. Brown is still in the Ivys, right? BC not so much, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tip In View Post
                  Not true. Two players to Brown. Brown is still in the Ivys, right? BC not so much, obviously.
                  Fall 2016. Not Fall 2015. I am well aware of two this fall.
                  Not that difficult to follow my post. At least not for someone who can read.
                  Last edited by BCAlum; 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Fall 2016. Not Fall 2015. I am well aware of two this fall.
                    Not that difficult to follow my post. At least not for someone who can read.
                    Haha. Look at you. Ok, so you're somehow saying no Lonergan to Harvard. Do tell.

Comment

Lonergan will not be playing for Assabet this year.
                      Last edited by BCAlum; 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Head west, young man, head west.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Lonergan will not be playing for Assabet this year.
                          it's a shame assabet is dying a fast death.

11 kids tried out for u19...WOW. if that's not proof of who actually elevated and kept that program at the top....

I knew i'd see the demise in my lifetime but not this quick.

control is not always good.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Head west, young lady, head west.
                            Fixed yer post.....but my response to yer post is.....

AAA = All About Academics....If you are good enough to get into an Ivy and you can make the Financials work for you.....Go for it. !!!!
                            Last edited by OnMAA; 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                              it's a shame assabet is dying a fast death.

11 kids tried out for u19...WOW. if that's not proof of who actually elevated and kept that program at the top....

I knew i'd see the demise in my lifetime but not this quick.

control is not always good.
                              Did Dennis leave or retire? Where is Lonergan playing next year?

Comment

Working...
                              X