Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Could be...but I'd bet against it. We won't have the weapons we've had the last 3 years. He'll still be among the best players we can put on the ice regardless.
    Despite a disappointing season goal-scoring wise I thought he made progress last season, particularly in the 2nd half. At times he looked intimidated by physical play early on, but seemed to get more involved and fought harder for the puck in the corners as the season progressed. Hopefully we'll see him take another step right off the bat this year.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I do seem to remember the end of the season being better, so it'll depend on how he comes in.

Comment

If Cammy starts scoring many more goals, it's going to likely be because he's shooting the puck more on the PP. He's not going to be given the luxury of floating out high like he did in junior hockey so I doubt we'll see a lot of extra goal production from him in 5 on 5 situations.

I am hopeful that they give Kloos a chance to play on a different line from Cammy. I think Cammy's mediocre effort on the defensive end puts extra pressure on Kloos... which is something I'd like to see reduced given he will arguably be the best offensive weapon the team has next year.

Lucia had two straight years in which some of the team leaders (highly respected guys) complained to him about Cammy's effort and it seemed to fall on deaf ears. If he refuses to bench a guy under those circumstances, it is hard to see him doing it moving forward (even if it is justified).

Cammy needs to be a much better presence next season. You can't be on that high of a scholarship and not be a much more productive guy (in all facets of the game).
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

It's long overdue for Cammarata and Kloos to be separated. It's clearly time to turn the page on that USHL pairing, it hasn't worked for the Gophers. Lucia sometimes tends to hang onto "hunches" about increased player performance (i.e. Kangas) even when the writing is on the wall it's not going to work. I would have preferred benching Cammarata last season until a marked improvement in his power skating ability, positioning and physicality level was evident. He would benefit immensely from developing more lower and upper body strength and overall conditioning this summer.

Comment

I don't see Cammarata going anywhere. This last year, Boyd could have played on any line and probably been a better player in having done so. But the goal was not to make Boyd better...it was to make the team better. This year, Kloos will be that guy. He doesn't need but could use a set up guy. Regardless of where the goals came from, Cammarata provided more assists than anyone last year (outside M Reilly). But right now Cammy needs a bull that goes to the net...and Kloos is just that in our top returning scorer. Likewise, I think you'll see Fasching and Bristedt stay together. Although C Reilly might end up being a power forward goal scorer...Fasching can put the puck in the net and Bristedt is a top notch passer. I don't think you'll see any structural changes here.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't see Cammarata going anywhere. This last year, Boyd could have played on any line and probably been a better player in having done so. But the goal was not to make Boyd better...it was to make the team better. This year, Kloos will be that guy. He doesn't need but could use a set up guy. Regardless of where the goals came from, Cammarata provided more assists than anyone last year (outside M Reilly). But right now Cammy needs a bull that goes to the net...and Kloos is just that in our top returning scorer. Likewise, I think you'll see Fasching and Bristedt stay together. Although C Reilly might end up being a power forward goal scorer...Fasching can put the puck in the net and Bristedt is a top notch passer. I don't think you'll see any structural changes here.
              On how many of Kloos' 13 goals (down from 16 in 2013-14) do you think Cammarata assisted on? How many do you think the D assisted on? C. Reilly doesn't have the size and physicality of a traditional power forward, he's more of a sniper type forward with a good snap/wrist/one timer in open space.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                On how many of Kloos' 13 goals (down from 16 in 2013-14) do you think Cammarata assisted on? How many do you think the D assisted on? C. Reilly doesn't have the size and physicality of a traditional power forward, he's more of a sniper type forward with a good snap/wrist/one timer in open space.
                I'm sure Kloos got quite a few assists from the D as defensive integration is the Gopher's play style. And I think Cammarata assisted on quite a few goals not scored by Kloos as he had 24 As. IMO it doesn't matter too much. Kloos is our top returning scorer and he could use feeds...and Cammy is a playmaker and needs a finisher. They've got a history together. In the end, its about what makes the team the best.

I think folks here are saying what they want to happen. I can't tell you what should happen as I don't have nearly enough info. I can only tell you what in all probability will happen: Kloos/Cammy, Fasching/Bristedt.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

I'm sure Kloos got quite a few assists from the D as defensive integration is the Gopher's play style. And I think Cammarata assisted on quite a few goals not scored by Kloos as he had 24 As. IMO it doesn't matter too much. Kloos is our top returning scorer and he could use feeds...and Cammy is a playmaker and needs a finisher. They've got a history together. In the end, its about what makes the team the best.

I think folks here are saying what they want to happen. I can't tell you what should happen as I don't have nearly enough info. I can only tell you what in all probability will happen: Kloos/Cammy, Fasching/Bristedt.
                  No doubt Kloos will be paired with a playmaker, but the Kloos/Cammarata experiment was not effective at all last season. Cammarata had only 3 primary assists on Kloos' 13 Gs, his exact same primary assist total on Kloos 16 Gs in 2013-14. The D had 6 primary As (Brodzinski/2) on Kloos' Gs, 4 were PPs.

After two seasons of trying to resurrect some of their USHL magic, only 20% of Kloos 29 Gs are the direct result of Cammarata's feed. The combination obviously hasn't worked in the Gopher's system and IMO should be abandoned next season. Moreover, the combo hurt Kloos more than helped him, who struggled through a midseason scoring slump of burying only 3 G/20 games alongside line mate Cammarata, who scored 1 goal in 30 games during the same midseason stretch.

I would expect Kloos to center the top line with Fasching and perhaps C. Reilly, Bristedt or maybe Romanko on LW.

Comment

Any early summer reports on how Connor Reilly's rehab is progressing? They say it normally takes a full year to completely recover from the kind of extensive knee surgery he underwent, plus that was not the first time for him.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                      I would expect Kloos to center the top line with Fasching and perhaps C. Reilly, Bristedt or maybe Romanko on LW.
                      Don't let NAHL stats get your hopes up toooo much.

Comment

The problem with using Kloos/Cammy's time together on a line in Waterloo as some sort of reasoning for continuing things moving forward is they played an entirely different style in Waterloo than what they do at the U... and the results in college have not been as productive because of it. I honestly believe Kloos would have a good amount more points right now if he played away from Cammy

From the observers I have talked to, Cammy was allowed to free lance a lot in Waterloo. He wasn't saddled with much defensive responsibility and they'd try to capitalize on it with odd man rushes. It worked on that level (they scored a lot but their team also gave up a lot of goals). That's not something that is going to be done at the U (or any high level of hockey for that matter). You have to play hard on both ends otherwise it is going to put stress on your linemates to pick up your slack and it is going to hurt the overall situation. I do not want our best offensive player (Kloos) to be saddled with that. Play him with linemates that are going to work hard on both ends.

Cammy needs to "man up" and start carrying his weight on both ends. I think last year was really the first time he ever had to deal with much adversity on the ice and he didn't handle it very well. I hope he learns from it but I'm kind of concerned that he's become too accustomed to a style that worked at youth levels but isn't viable at higher levels of hockey.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          Don't let NAHL stats get your hopes up toooo much.
                          Yeah, I hear what you're sayin'. NAHL is a tier down from the USHL, but I understand the competition has ramped up a bit in recent years. I like the fact that he's older (21 yo in the fall), has good size for a power forward, tenacious around the net and on the PP and he's been tutored by Millen. I'm hoping for a productive transition.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Any early summer reports on how Connor Reilly's rehab is progressing? They say it normally takes a full year to completely recover from the kind of extensive knee surgery he underwent, plus that was not the first time for him.
                          Apparently had his first skate a few days ago:

Connor Reilly ‏@CReilly81 Jun 22
                          Felt great getting back on the ice for the first time in awhile this morning! #wooo @GopherHockey

Comment

Thanks for the report on C. Reilly, Harley. With the losses from last year's squad we could really use his proven ability to put the puck in the net this season. However it remains to be seen how he deals with the physical play and how aggressive he is in the corners and winning the puck battles. When the puck drops in October (just a little over 3 months!) we'll need him at his best. Hopefully between now and then he will have developed enough confidence that his knee will hold up that he'll be ready to go "all out" from the get-go.

Also, any thoughts on the D corp? Who do you experts expect to be named as the starting six defensemen to start the season? Pairs?

Comment

Watching C. Reilly in the zone with his sniper shot last season convinced me he has the potential to emerge as one of the top scorers in the country. Unfortunately the injury cut short his midseason scoring rampage of 8 goals and 3 assists in 10 games and the goal scoring lead at that point (11). Kloos and Fasching connected on a few of those Gs, which raises the possibility we see them together on the top line.

Personally, I think he's a rising star and one of the few true goal scorers on the Gophers. If he finally stays healthy for the whole season, Connor will be a top scorer alongside Kloos. I like his quote after the Gophers scored early and often, and shellacked the BADgers 5-2:

“It was absolutely crucial,” Connor Reilly said of the start. “Last night, you can talk all you want about how many chances we had, but if you’re not scoring … you’re really doing a whole lot of nothing, in my mind.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                The problem with using Kloos/Cammy's time together on a line in Waterloo as some sort of reasoning for continuing things moving forward is they played an entirely different style in Waterloo than what they do at the U... and the results in college have not been as productive because of it. I honestly believe Kloos would have a good amount more points right now if he played away from Cammy

From the observers I have talked to, Cammy was allowed to free lance a lot in Waterloo. He wasn't saddled with much defensive responsibility and they'd try to capitalize on it with odd man rushes. It worked on that level (they scored a lot but their team also gave up a lot of goals). That's not something that is going to be done at the U (or any high level of hockey for that matter). You have to play hard on both ends otherwise it is going to put stress on your linemates to pick up your slack and it is going to hurt the overall situation. I do not want our best offensive player (Kloos) to be saddled with that. Play him with linemates that are going to work hard on both ends.

Cammy needs to "man up" and start carrying his weight on both ends. I think last year was really the first time he ever had to deal with much adversity on the ice and he didn't handle it very well. I hope he learns from it but I'm kind of concerned that he's become too accustomed to a style that worked at youth levels but isn't viable at higher levels of hockey.
                                I thought Cammy had some games later on where he started to show more effort on D play and sometimes along the boards, but obviously needs to develop consistency.

As for who he plays with, I have a feeling Lucia will mix things up for awhile like he used to. No doubt Cammy sees the ice well and can set up shooters (like Reilly). Wouldn't be surprised to see him tried with Fasching for a few games, as it might even pull some of the pressure off Cammy if opponents have to collapse 2 guys on Fasching.

He also needs to shoot more. Doesn't seem to play with as much confidence as he must have had in Juniors to score as much as he did. Passes on too many shots and doesn't go to the net enough. Taking more shots and having some go in will always help with confidence, and confidence will often help a player feel a little more comfortable being aggressive when he has to (not that at his size he will ever be a physical force).

People talking about benching him regularly have more faith in gopher scoring depth than I do who think that. Occasional sitting shifts and moving down in lines can help, but completely sitting for long periods won't help the team. I still think he has a lot of potential to become a big contributor. Need to just keep working with him. I'm hopeful being forced into a bigger role with the loss of players will force him to make noticeable strides this year.
                                Last edited by Koho; 06-27-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X