Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    I heard a skinny old man with an ugly goatee say that once. He was run over by a Harley and died two days later.
    I thought brent was run over by a car?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      He's taken, big boy, and with a good woman. And I go bearded, now.

Thunderpants.
      Ok, thunderpants. Bearded heh...well you sound like ____t and act like a ____t so you better to look like one.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        I thought brent was run over by a car?
        I was. The car lost.

I still laugh to this day...she threatened to sue me.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Presumably the discussion here will become more interesting once the season gets underway.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Presumably the discussion here will become more interesting once the season gets underway.
            Lookin forward it. Young team this year with 10 freshman and only 3 seniors, but lots of energy from guys that really appreciate wearing the "M".

Comment

You are a great hockey mind for having that opinion.

Saw the trophies today, both men's and women's...they still are looking right at home. We're missing one, though. tDon, I'm looking in your direction....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                He's taken, big boy, and with a good woman

Comment

Hardy har har. My bro (nor I) roll like that. Surprisingly, we're upstanding gentlemen in that regard. I know, I know. It's a fault.

Comment

I like the choices for alternative captains: Connor Reilly, Hudson Fasching and Jake Bischoff (ARTICLE). Nice to hear Connor will be ready to fly as "The Sniper" this season. Just 31 days until the Gophers hit the ice in the Hall of Fame game vs. Vermont. I'm excited! Go Gophers!

Comment

I found this to be typical of the offseason. Some spend their offseason posting in the Cafe, while others disappear until the season starts. Only TRUE Gopher fans post consistently in the summer months.

LOYALTY. Parker always recruited very well with star power recruits even up until his retirement in 2012. The problem was his recruits were not as dedicated to wearing the BU jersey like the recent recruits that David Quinn has brought in. Last season Quinn had 11 players from Mass. compared to 11 in Parker's last two seasons combined. Parker tended to recruit more heavily in Canada, while Quinn is tapping into the EJHL, Eastern prep schools (O' Regan) and the NTDP (Eichel). Quinn is also recruiting more out the USHL than Parker did as well.
                      You rang???
                      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Looking closely at the roster for the first time, and trying to guess which players will end up being "starters" after the early games have been played, say by the time the conference schedule begins in early December through the end of the season.

Forward – first three lines
                        Kloos
                        Fasching
                        C. Reilly
                        Cammarata
                        Bristedt
                        Letteri
                        Michaelson (?)

+ two open spots filled by?
                        (alphabetical order)
                        Gates
                        Hogland
                        Norman
                        Novak
                        Ramsey
                        R. Reilly
                        Rogge
                        Romanko
                        Sheehy
                        (Would you regard any of these as being a sure bet? And which ones are most likely to see significant playing time on the 4th line?)

Defense – starting 6
                        Bischoff
                        Brodzinski
                        Collins
                        Glover

(alphabetical order)
                        Johnson
                        Sadek
                        Seeler
                        Simonsom
                        (Again, any sure bets here to end up playing in the starting three pairs?)

Goaltending – our No. 1 concern?
                        Who will emerge as our “go-to” goalie, or if the coaches decide to alternate throughout the season, which two will see the most playing time? I don’t know enough to even speculate, so will just list all four in alphabetical order:

Coyne
                        Knutz
                        Lehr
                        Schierhorn

Should be interesting - look forward to hearing your opinions!

Comment

Kloos
                          Fasching
                          C. Reilly
                          Cammarata
                          Bristedt
                          Letteri
                          Michaelson (?)Dear, God, please no.

(alphabetical order)
                          Gates Maybe
                          Hogland
                          Norman
                          Novak Should be
                          Ramsey
                          R. Reilly
                          Rogge
                          Romanko
                          Sheehy Definitely should be
                          (Would you regard any of these as being a sure bet? And which ones are most likely to see significant playing time on the 4th line?)

Defense – starting 6
                          Bischoff
                          Brodzinski
                          Collins
                          Glover

(alphabetical order)
                          Johnson Should be
                          Sadek
                          Seeler Most sure bet
                          Simonsom
                          (Again, any sure bets here to end up playing in the starting three pairs?)

Goaltending – our No. 1 concern?
                          Who will emerge as our “go-to” goalie, or if the coaches decide to alternate throughout the season, which two will see the most playing time? I don’t know enough to even speculate, so will just list all four in alphabetical order:

Coyne
                          Knutz
                          Lehr
                          Schierhorn If he doesn't win the job, think we're in trouble.

Should be interesting - look forward to hearing your opinions!
                          Notes in red

Comment

Looking closely at the roster for the first time, and trying to guess which players will end up being "starters" after the early games have been played, say by the time the conference schedule begins in early December through the end of the season.

Kloos
                            Fasching
                            C. Reilly
                            Cammarata
                            Bristedt
                            Letteri
                            Michaelson (?)
                            Michaelson should be the 4th line center that plays a lot of minutes on the penalty kill. That's about it. He just doesn't have the hands for much of a skill role.

I'm kind of taking a wait and see on Lettieri but I can tentatively agree. He needs to produce early though or I think he'll get usurped by a few of the new guys.

Praying Cammy will rebound and learn from the adversity he faced last year.

I have a hard time believing that Novak and Sheehy won't be given chances early on to be in the top 9. I'd feel the same way about Gates had he finished out last season healthy. Still think he'll get some shots in those roles though.

I kind of expect Ramsey will be given 4th line play. He's highly unlikely to be much of a scorer but he's a good athlete, he's a coach's kid (smart player), and he works hard. Perfect role player in my mind. Like Serratore in that sense. Hoglund is a question mark. Romanko could surprise a bit being an older guy that was pretty productive in the NAHL. I'll be shocked if we see much of Rogge. Norman will probably be in and out of the lineup. Ideally, he would have been in the USHL this year.

Seeler is a lock on defense. I think he might end up being the best defender on the team this year. Beyond him, Bischoff, Brodzinski, Collins, and Glover... I think we'll see some guys get rotated in and out.

Schierhorn is the best bet to be the man in net in the long haul but I'd suspect they'll alternate some starts early on too
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                              Seeler is a lock on defense. I think he might end up being the best defender on the team this year.
                              Great to hear! Hopefully one of the other three also adopts quickly to the D1 level so we end up having three strong pairs. Without Wilcox back there we'll definitely need to tighten things up on D and not let opponents have as many prime scoring chances (like the one game last year - can't remember which one - when we gave up THREE lone breakaways! ) I also hope we're more physical in our end, especially in front of our rookie goaltender. We'll certainly have the size - as a group will they be the biggest D-core in recent memory? According to my math they average 6-2, 194 lbs.

Comment

It'll really come down to who can actually put the puck in the net. When the Gophers have most struggled, its because they don't get goals. Now we have good set up guys (Cammy, Bristedt) and we're adding some that have been set up guys in the past (Novak 14g/34a, Sheehy 15g/26a). We've got plenty. But whoever adds their name to Kloos, Fasching and C Reilly in putting the puck in the net will get top ice time.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X