PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

5mn_Major
09-27-2015, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't wanna be the guy trying to block Brodz's shot when he releases that cannon. Haven't seen the FR, but arguably the best slap shot among returning players. I'm not saying he won't have his touches on the PP, but the original discussion addressed the PP QB. Bischoff was paired with Reilly for most of last season and I think we'll see him as the alternate captain taking on that QB role.

I think I'd take that bet. IMO they pair Bischoff not because they want him to be like Reilly...but because they complement each other. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if those two guys are top pair.

We'll see.

Koho
09-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I think I'd take that bet. IMO they pair Bischoff not because they want him to be like Reilly...but because they complement each other. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if those two guys are top pair.

We'll see.

Not sure I have tracked the discussion completely. First, someone projected Brodz has potential to be an All-B1O player, which I thought, given his defensive shortcomings at times, probably isn't likely. Then projections on his playing the power play were being discussed (seemed like discussion morphed, but maybe I missed the transition to a separate conversation?). Either way, While Brodz is prone to mistakes,there is no question he brings offense to a PP, and hopefully one isn't playing too much D in their own end when up a man, so I am guessing he is a regular on one unit. Not sure if he is paired with another D though, since tDon often likes 4 forwards, at least on 1st unit. Either way, I am guessing he will be on one of the units, given the shot he has. (Not every coach is like Yeo and feels they need a very defensive D on the PP when there are 4 forwards.)

Stauber1
09-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Not sure I have tracked the discussion completely. First, someone projected Brodz has potential to be an All-B1O player, which I thought, given his defensive shortcomings at times, probably isn't likely. Then projections on his playing the power play were being discussed (seemed like discussion morphed, but maybe I missed the transition to a separate conversation?). Either way, While Brodz is prone to mistakes,there is no question he brings offense to a PP, and hopefully one isn't playing too much D in their own end when up a man, so I am guessing he is a regular on one unit. Not sure if he is paired with another D though, since tDon often likes 4 forwards, at least on 1st unit. Either way, I am guessing he will be on one of the units, given the shot he has. (Not every coach is like Yeo and feels they need a very defensive D on the PP when there are 4 forwards.)

Yeah, I don't think anyone is questioning that he will be on the PP. The debate is whether he is the "QB" on that first unit.

I think he'll be given some opportunities to take that role, and I hope he grows into it. I just don't agree that he is the heir apparent. Some have suggested Bischoff. I could also see one of the forwards filling that role.

Stauber1
09-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Bemidji's schedule looks tough because its similar to ours...they add both UND and a home series against AZ state, yet drop St Cloud.

I wouldn't count on a full scale collapse from last years top ten SCSU team and beyond that, we've got a third of our NC games against teams that have an excellent chance to be the best team in the country. Still haven't seen another NC schedule that is markedly tougher.

I don't mean to say the Gophers have an easy OOC schedule this year. It's one of the tougher ones. I just don't see it as the toughest, or exceptionally brutal. I do see Bemidji's as being pretty brutal.

The difference between our OOC schedule and Bemidji's has a lot to do with the number of games. They have 2 easy games against ASU. The rest are tough.
We have a number of games against mid-tier teams.

Mankato is going to be good, but most likely not as good as last year. St. Cloud most likely will not be as good as last year. Bemidji was picked 4th in the WCHA, but that has a lot to do with not much going for that conference beyond the top 3 teams...and Bitzer. If Bitzer goes through a rough stretch, they are going to be hurting.
Notre Dame, Vermont and Northeastern are all middle of the pack HE teams. Last year Ferris had no scoring, but they had C.J. Motte and that was enough to keep them halfway respectable. This year they have no scoring and no C.J. Motte. Connecticut is not going to be a top-third team in the NCAA, and most likely won't be a top-half.

I think this is a good schedule for the Gophers this year. They are playing some decent teams that they can have some success against, and if they do it will go a long way to ensuring a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Really hoping they get to face Harvard in the championship of the Mariucci Classic. Harvard should be pretty good this year, and a win against them will help quite a bit come selection time when it comes to comparisons against ECAC teams.

Stauber1
09-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Not sure how MN is sitting higher than MI in the USCHO preseason poll. And I'm really not sure how the Gophers got a first place vote.

The most shocking thing about the poll, though, is that Wisconsin received any votes at all.

HarleyMC
09-28-2015, 04:01 PM
I wasn't far off, although I do think OSU has a better talent field than Penn St.

2015-16 BIG TEN COACHES PRESEASON POLL
1. Michigan
2. Minnesota
3. Michigan State
4. Penn State
5. Ohio State
6. Wisconsin

2015-16 BIG TEN PRESEASON PLAYERS TO WATCH
JT Compher, F, Michigan*
Kyle Connor, F, Michigan
Zach Werenski, D, Michigan*
Jake Hildebrand, G, Michigan State*
Mackenzie MacEachern, F, Michigan State
Hudson Fasching, F, Minnesota*
Justin Kloos, F, Minnesota
Anthony Greco, F, Ohio State
Nick Schilkey, F, Ohio State
David Goodwin, F, Penn State
Eric Scheid, F, Penn State
Grant Besse, F, Wisconsin

* Unanimous selection

ARTICLE (http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hockey-not-the-big-ten-favorite/329795531/)

Koho
09-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Not sure how MN is sitting higher than MI in the preseason poll. And I'm really not sure how the Gophers got a first place vote.

What? Can't see how MN is higher than Michigan? Strong Goaltending, loaded with veteran D and returning a bunch of scoring so not having to hope for freshman to perform, lots of top draft picks.........Oh..... never mind. Maybe its coaching. Maybe voters have begun to believe in the god-like power of MG (touted by some fans)????

HarleyMC
09-28-2015, 08:46 PM
And I'm really not sure how the Gophers got a first place vote.

Patrick Reusse - Star Tribune

Stauber1
09-28-2015, 11:43 PM
If that's true it's pretty f-ing hilarious. The guy does nothing but rag on and complain about Gopher hockey.

I find it hard to believe he is even given a ballot, though.

ShotFromThePoint
09-29-2015, 08:18 AM
With the lower expectations compared to last year, how hot do you think Lucia's seat will be? It seems like last year some people believe he received a "warning" of sorts after having achieved a conference title, tournament title and a playoff birth resulting in an early exit. Minnesotans will always have a sort of unfair expectation for Gopher hockey due to the ignorance of the parity in the sport now. So again, do you think he's on the hotseat this year, and if so, what are the expectations for his job security? Champion or bust?

Bonin21
09-29-2015, 09:16 AM
He won't get fired this year if they don't win the conference or make the tournament. If he chooses to retire, none of us will be too hurt.

5mn_Major
09-29-2015, 09:36 AM
What? Can't see how MN is higher than Michigan? Strong Goaltending, loaded with veteran D and returning a bunch of scoring so not having to hope for freshman to perform, lots of top draft picks.........Oh..... never mind. Maybe its coaching. Maybe voters have begun to believe in the god-like power of MG (touted by some fans)????

Absolutely no idea. MI should be ranked higher.

Also how does the Big Ten players to watch list include 10 forwards and 1 defenseman. More evidence 'the experts' do not understand D.

Bonin21
09-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Or the D class is weak relative to the forward class.

HarleyMC
09-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Also how does the Big Ten players to watch list include 10 forwards and 1 defenseman. More evidence 'the experts' do not understand D.

Let me guess...add Brodzinski, All B1G QB? ;)

alnike
09-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Absolutely no idea. MI should be ranked higher.

The Big Ten is void of talent. Especially on the back-end. The proof is in the rosters. College hockey is so decimated now when you annually have 30-35 players leaving school early and the promising freshman have fewer high-end upper classmen to play with and bring them along.

Look at the top seniors in Big Ten Hockey this year:
F: Nieves, Selman, Greco, Scheid, Ferrantino
D: Walsh, Jardine, Wittchow
G: Hildebrand, Racine

HarleyMC
09-29-2015, 10:07 AM
The Big Ten is void of talent. Especially on the back-end. The proof is in the rosters. College hockey is so decimated now when you annually have 30-35 players leaving school early and the promising freshman have fewer high-end upper classmen to play with and bring them along.

Look at the top seniors in Big Ten Hockey this year:
F: Nieves, Selman, Greco, Scheid, Ferrantino
D: Walsh, Jardine, Wittchow
G: Hildebrand, Racine

Sam Jardine signed with the Blackhawks in August. Add Ohio State Buckeye, Craig Dalrymple. Excellent D and should be included in the list. I might put JR Micheal Downing for Michigan on the list too.

HarleyMC
09-29-2015, 10:24 AM
With the lower expectations compared to last year, how hot do you think Lucia's seat will be? It seems like last year some people believe he received a "warning" of sorts after having achieved a conference title, tournament title and a playoff birth resulting in an early exit. Minnesotans will always have a sort of unfair expectation for Gopher hockey due to the ignorance of the parity in the sport now. So again, do you think he's on the hotseat this year, and if so, what are the expectations for his job security? Champion or bust?

Lucia is in the elite class of winningest active coaches along with Red and Jerry York and he's the winningest coach in Gopher history, so it's doubtful he will EVER be fired...period. Like every season, preseason polls mean very little in terms of season outcomes and NCs.

Hammy
09-29-2015, 03:03 PM
With the lower expectations compared to last year, how hot do you think Lucia's seat will be?

They were all called on the carpet after last season but that was done by a guy that is no longer employed at the U. Given the current flux of the athletic director situation, he doesn't have much to worry about.

Unless we see an Eaves/UW-like collapse (which I think we would all agree is extremely unlikely), Lucia will be in the same spot a year from now.

5mn_Major
09-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Let me guess...add Brodzinski, All B1G QB? ;)

I know, I know. He should be benched.

ScoobyDoo
09-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Gophers will be better than anyone thinks right now.