Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

If the college coaches are not in their ears at that age, the CHL will be.

Comment

I've never read anything by coaches who are overly concerned about the "stockpiling" 14-15 year old kids using the "gentleman's agreement" as a means of stemming the tide of players committing to the CHL. Most coaches such as Jerry York, Red Berenson, Frank Serratore, Wayne Wilson, etc. to name a few, believe this is more of a competitive recruiting war with other NCAA schools. Even Don Lucia was in favor of dropping agreement last year when it was discussed at the American Hockey Coaches Association convention in Naples, Fla.

The main point of contention among the top coaches across the country in favor of dropping the agreement is it tends to prey upon the dreams of 14-15 year old kids who have yet to physically and mentally develop to make a fully informed decision on their options not only in regards to their future aspirations to play hockey, but to make an informed choice about which NCAA schools offer the best educational programs for their perceived career path. If a kid gets dropped by a team under the agreement because he's not met developmental expectations IMO that's not fair to him since he could have looked at other options. At that age players should be listening to their parents, coaches, etc. regarding their future options.

For some kids, the CHL might be the right choice. But they need to understand the facts. Leaving your family at 16, doing your HS work by correspondence and enduring the grind of a 70 game season is a tough road for a HS kid. Less than 6 percent of players in the NCAA and CHL will ever play in the NHL, so most will need a college education. Comparison of US born hockey players who played in the CHL and the NCAA who eventually played in the NHL: Article.

Moreover, yes the CHL offers college scholarships, but only 32% use them after leaving the league at 19-20 years old. Why? It's the CHL's dirty little secret. A lot of players will go onto play in the ECHL, AHL or Europe for a few years in hopes of getting a shot at the big show and are forced to forfeit ALL of their scholarship money unless they use it within 18 months. That seems dubious to me since the CHL lures young players by promoting themselves as the preferred developmental path to the NHL and offering an educational package in case they don't make it. In the real world, to expect a 19-20 year old to drop those dreams after CHL ineligibility at 19-20 years old and attend college doesn't make any sense. Some NHL players are up in arms about it too.

Comment

1. People! What are we doing lingering on page 2? Has everyone given up on USCHO? (Bump)

2. (In an attempt to generate at least one response), what can people tell me about Sammy Walker?

Listed at 5'9", 135 lbs, he is a speedy forward entering his sophomore season at Edina (MN-HS). Walker had 5 goals and 9 points in 30 games last season for the Hornets, whose attempt at a 3rd straight state Class AA title ended two games short. SB Nation College Hockey's #7 ranked freshman before the season, he was joined on that team by future Gopher Garrett Wait. (2016-17 commit Ryan Zuhlsdorf also previously played for the Hornets before heading to the USHL.)
        I realize he is very young, but 14 points isn't phenomenal given he has a few years yet to either excel or plateau. Looks like he has lots of room to add weight, even if he doesn't add a lot of height. Anyone? Bueller?

3. I hear there is a 10 year old they are hoping to get a LOI from next year.

4. I realize certain people have zero faith in projected high round picks, but looking at some of BU's recruiting looks pretty impressive. I don't understand how they went from a mediocre team for a few years pre-Eichel, to suddenly being the team that a lot of top players want to chose. Don't follow Eastern players that closely, but seems like they are often beating out BC for players which seemed rare just a few years ago. Any insights?
        Last edited by Koho; 09-05-2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          1. People! What are we doing lingering on page 2? Has everyone given up on USCHO? (Bump)
          I found this to be typical of the offseason. Some spend their offseason posting in the Cafe, while others disappear until the season starts. Only TRUE Gopher fans post consistently in the summer months.

I realize certain people have zero faith in projected high round picks, but looking at some of BU's recruiting looks pretty impressive. I don't understand how they went from a mediocre team for a few years pre-Eichel, to suddenly being the team that a lot of top players want to chose. Don't follow Eastern players that closely, but seems like they are often beating out BC for players which seemed rare just a few years ago. Any insights?
          LOYALTY. Parker always recruited very well with star power recruits even up until his retirement in 2012. The problem was his recruits were not as dedicated to wearing the BU jersey like the recent recruits that David Quinn has brought in. Last season Quinn had 11 players from Mass. compared to 11 in Parker's last two seasons combined. Parker tended to recruit more heavily in Canada, while Quinn is tapping into the EJHL, Eastern prep schools (O' Regan) and the NTDP (Eichel). Quinn is also recruiting more out the USHL than Parker did as well.

Comment

2. (In an attempt to generate at least one response), what can people tell me about Sammy Walker?

I realize he is very young, but 14 points isn't phenomenal given he has a few years yet to either excel or plateau. Looks like he has lots of room to add weight, even if he doesn't add a lot of height. Anyone? Bueller?
            Koho, check out the thread on him in the MN High School Boy's Forum - good info from some guys who know his game.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Though it doesn't make much of a difference as we saw with Boeser and Mismash, there are definitely some names around his age from Edina to keep an eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                I found this to be typical of the offseason. Some spend their offseason posting in the Cafe, while others disappear until the season starts. Only TRUE Gopher fans post consistently in the summer months.
                Or lurk. Or have a life. Or have generally moved over to GPL for hockey talk.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC
                  APPENDIX A: Brent might nibble if he's baited in the summer months.
                  Meh, I say whatever, and let the cards fall where they may.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Or lurk. Or have a life. Or have generally moved over to GPL for hockey talk.
                    Resend: APPENDIX A: Brent might nibble if he's PROPERLY baited in the summer months.

Comment

Meh, I say whatever, and let the cards fall where they may.
                      You've been gone too long. We don't say 'Meh' here anymore, that's posthumous.

Comment

You've been gone too long. We don't say 'Meh' here anymore, that's posthumous.
                        Get off my lawn, chucklenuts. And, furthermore, pinochle.

Comment

Get off my lawn, chucklenuts. And, furthermore, pinochle.
                          I heard a skinny old man with an ugly goatee say that once. He was run over by a Harley and died two days later.

Comment

I heard a skinny old man with an ugly goatee say that once. He was run over by a Harley and died two days later.
                            Don't have a goatee.

And the biker was prob my brother.

Comment

Don't have a goatee.

And the biker was prob my brother.
                              You shaved that thing off!!?? I wanna meet your bro.

Comment

You shaved that thing off!!?? I wanna meet your bro.
                                He's taken, big boy, and with a good woman. And I go bearded, now.

Thunderpants.

Comment

Working...
                                X