Sun, Jan 31 Merrimack at North Andover, MA TBA
    Fri, Feb 05 Wisconsin-Eau Claire Tempe, AZ TBA
    Sat, Feb 06 Wisconsin-Eau Claire Tempe, AZ TBA
    Sat, Feb 13 Liberty (ACHA) Tempe, AZ TBA
    Fri, Feb 19 Arizona (ACHA) Tucson, AZ TBA
    Fri, Feb 26 ASU vs. U.S. National Team U18 Tempe, AZ TBA
    Sat, Feb 27 ASU vs. U.S. National Team U18 Tempe, AZ TBA

Proud Grandpa of Haley,Adam & Luke
    A Retired shop teacher and proud of it (35 years )

OSWEGO STATE Almost class of 1973

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Oswego, from the Indian Oshwakee, "the flowing out of the waters."
    Arizona State Class of 1974
    ASU THE ACHA D1 2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Arizona based on the Pima Indian word arizonac, meaning "little spring place."

Re: Arizona State Pre Season

Roster for this upcoming season . 13 returning players, 15 new recruits. Here it is.

One surprise is Brock Krygier, A graduate transfer from Michigan State. He can play this upcoming season and has 2 years of eligibility. David Jacobson is not currently on the roster as he hasn't been cleared due to commiting so late. Transfers Jake Montgomery and David Norris are on the roster but not eligible to play in the upcoming season.

Comment

Welcome to Northern Minnesota in mid January!
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I wish I could see the UAA vs ASU game in Anchorage!

Comment

Can anybody that is an ASU fan weigh-in on what the realistic expectations are down there for their inaugural D-1 season or how they realistically envision the season panning out?

Comment

Good luck, guys. Welcome to D1 NCAA hockey. The more the merrier!
            Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

So we've seen SunDevilBob for quite awhile. I'm wondering about him. Is he one of those highly paid Russian trolls?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Can anybody that is an ASU fan weigh-in on what the realistic expectations are down there for their inaugural D-1 season or how they realistically envision the season panning out?
                Expectations for the year are that it'll be rough but fun. Win the ACHA games, thoroughly beating the team down south for one last time. Ideally win all of the lower NCAA teams and Alberta also. Maybe snag a win or two from the other teams. All the home games (besides Yale obviously) are meant to be winnable to help generate interest quickly since people would generally rather watch wins.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                So we've seen SunDevilBob for quite awhile. I'm wondering about him. Is he one of those highly paid Russian trolls?
                Я руский́́? Это нелепый.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                  Expectations for the year are that it'll be rough but fun. Win the ACHA games, thoroughly beating the team down south for one last time. Ideally win all of the lower NCAA teams and Alberta also. Maybe snag a win or two from the other teams. All the home games (besides Yale obviously) are meant to be winnable to help generate interest quickly since people would generally rather watch wins.
                  I'm not one to quash anyone's enthusiasm and I want to see my team win, too.

That said, doing so against inferior opponents that aren't even D-1 schools that you'll never again play is a prescription for making people happy and enthusiastic about the future of D-1 hockey at your school?

Your home schedule should be the functional equivalent of the U.S. vs. Iraq in the first Gulf War. ANY loss (other than to Yale) is going to be hard to spin. Jiminy, you guys should have at least gotten one "marquee" team to come down there to play you next year, and, not at Oceanside, either.

Seriously, I want to see this new foray into D-1 hockey succeed, but, dipping your toe so tentatively into the waters, I don't believe, is the route to competitive success anytime soon for any fledgling program. Much less, at the school with the largest enrollment of all schools in the entire country.

Just like I think Penn State was poorly served by their '12-'13 schedule (and, yes, PSU fan, I totally get that this was not what you wanted or entirely your doing for a number of reasons), so, too, do I believe that this will not help ASU's competitive cause.

This becomes a "throw-away year" just like PSU's first year was.

To get battle tested, you need to play in some battles. Preferably, if you are going to actually be in some "battles", you want to do so in at least a few situations where you can dictate the battlefield to the other guy. You guys are going to fight every "battle" you are in, basically, in a situation where your opponent has the high ground.

Here, sanctimoniously, is UNO's first-year-of-the-program schedule in '97-'98:

http://www.omavs.com/SportSelect.dbm...&Q_SEASON=1997

EVERY game against D-1 competition. All played by a team of 24 guys that had NEVER played together before that parlayed this schedule into a 12-18-3 record, and, 2 years later, in its first season in any conference, UNO played in the CCHA tourney final.

Since it took UNO until their 18th season to get to a Frozen 4, I don't know if I can legitimately hold their "model" up as as superior to any other and their situation is nothing like Penn State's, a FAR larger and richer school that had their own arena out of the box who is now at least competitive since they have something to actually recruit to and far faster that UNO did.

ASU's overall situation does not look like a prescription for competitive success anytime soon, to me.

In fact, it looks like they are going to spend a boatload of money traveling around the country to get their brains beat in, this upcoming season.

Nevertheless, good luck to you guys in your future endeavors, We need more successful programs in college hockey, not less, to increase the sport's footprint and popularity. Here's hoping it gets "figured out" down there, soon.
                  Last edited by Red Cows; 04-18-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    Here, sanctimoniously, is UNO's first-year-of-the-program schedule in '97-'98:

http://www.omavs.com/SportSelect.dbm...&Q_SEASON=1997
                    College hockey scheduling was different then. How long did UNO have before getting started?

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

PSU has progressed nicely despite that supposed throw away year and ASU could as well. Red Cows is there a parade you won't try to **** on?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Russia pays for trolling? Where do I sign up?
                        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                          Russia pays for trolling? Where do I sign up?
                          55 Savushkina Street, St Petersburg or 601 West Dayton Street, Madison
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                          X