How was your experience in Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was your experience in Boston?

Out of towners, how was your experience in Boston? How was the city, venue, traffic, public transportation, accomodations, and anything else you would like to comment on? Just not the weather. We know too well about that!

Re: How was your experience in Boston?

From what I heard from my friends (about 12-15 traveled out there), they had a blast. I fully expect some fun stories to be told around the ol' campfire. I kind of regret not going.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'm afraid that if you ask for comments, the weather has to be included - it sucked! Until today anyway. Wednesday night it was 36 with rain, sleet and wind. It got better though, yesterday was sunny but 40 mph winds. Today was great - high 60s and sunny - same for tomorrow (I leave on Tuesday). Other stuff - hockey , but at least the games were good. Our seats were in the 6th row in the balcony, and I was disappointed - you couldn't see the action if it was by the near boards. Food is very good - we ate at a couple of places suggested and they were great. Bars by the arena were fun. Funny story from the pre-game Sioux party - the Omaha party was in the same bar as the Sioux party. We were standing near the stairs (there are 4 floors) when a bunch of Omaha people got there. One lady saw the sign that said "Omaha 4th floor" and asked where our party was. I said "floors one, two and three". She looked at the floor and started climbing the stairs. Transit worked well - easy to get around. Biggest drawback to Boston is prices - yikes! But that's what we were told to expect. All in all, I would call it a good trip.
      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
        Biggest drawback to Boston is prices - yikes! But that's what we were told to expect. All in all, I would call it a good trip.
        For reference: what does an average burger cost in a sports bar; and/or a macro brew cost?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The prices weren't all that bad but I stayed out of downtown, opting for some sports bars and pubs outside the North Station area. The public transportation is great.

Otherwise, the City did very little to support the event. IMO, they were outdone by Philly, Denver, and definitely Tampa. The pregame in a small parking lot was just a joke.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
          7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            For reference: what does an average burger cost in a sports bar; and/or a macro brew cost?
            Burger will run ~8-10 depending on the place, macro brew would likely run in the $5 ballpark, again, depending on the place.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Burger will run ~8-10 depending on the place, macro brew would likely run in the $5 ballpark, again, depending on the place.
              That's cheaper than I thought, actually. A touch on the pricey side, but not terrible, considering the region.

Comment

That's cheaper than I thought, actually. A touch on the pricey side, but not terrible, considering the region.
                I mean, it could easily get higher for sure, but around the Garden area, you should be able to find a simple cheeseburger/fries and a Bud Light at that price without much difficulty.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I mean, it could easily get higher for sure, but around the Garden area, you should be able to find a simple cheeseburger/fries and a Bud Light at that price without much difficulty.
                  I was looking for a common denominator, truth be told. I wouldn't order a macro. Micros/foreign are usually all over the board, depending on where you are. And a burger is standard fare at a sports place.

I was asking for future reference. One day I'll make it out east.

Comment

The place that I liked the most was a little Irish pub in Cambridge near my hotel. $8.25 for a bacon cheddar cheeseburger that was easily a 1/3 lb. burger, probably closer to a half, with fries. The beers, $4 for a Harpoon pint.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

I guess I found the high priced places. We had two tap beers and a glass of wine at an "upscale" bar near our hotel. The tab was $26. We had a couple of beers at Union Oyster House and it was $13.38. We ate at a sports bar a couple of streets off the main drag and the lunch tab was $28 (no alcohol). The Fours (right by the Gahden) had a great lunch special - burger and fries or soup for $9. Beers were reasonable - about $5.
                      Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                        The place that I liked the most was a little Irish pub in Cambridge near my hotel. $8.25 for a bacon cheddar cheeseburger that was easily a 1/3 lb. burger, probably closer to a half, with fries. The beers, $4 for a Harpoon pint.
                        NOW we're talking!

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                          I guess I found the high priced places. We had two tap beers and a glass of wine at an "upscale" bar near our hotel. The tab was $26. We had a couple of beers at Union Oyster House and it was $13.38. We ate at a sports bar a couple of streets off the main drag and the lunch tab was $28 (no alcohol). The Fours (right by the Gahden) had a great lunch special - burger and fries or soup for $9. Beers were reasonable - about $5.
                          Again, not terrible. My avg bill at Old Chicago in Mpls (suburb location to be exact) on an NFL Sunday is about $40, and that's two apps and 3-4 pints of beer (specials on food are in effect).

Comment

NOW we're talking!
                            man, that'd be such a great happy place... I can't think of having that kind of luck in any large city
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              man, that'd be such a great happy place... I can't think of having that kind of luck in any large city
                              Those prices are closer to Mpls pricing. We ain't exactly a small town....

Comment

Working...
                              X