Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post University (D-II/NE-10) adds men's and women's ice hockey

From SBNation: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...varsity-hockey

The women would be eligible for the women's National Collegiate Championship provided they play enough games against D-I/II competition.

And here's the conference to do it:
    Sacred Heart (D-I independent)
    St. Anselm (D-II/ECAC-E ECAC-E)
    Franklin Pierce (D-II/NE-10 ECAC-E)
    Holy Cross (D-I ECAC-E)
    St. Michaels (D-II/NE-10 ECAC-E)
    Post University (D-II new)

That's 6 and they have an AQ into the NCAA NCC.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Post University (D-II/NE-10) adds men's and women's ice hockey

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    From SBNation: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...varsity-hockey

The women would be eligible for the women's National Collegiate Championship provided they play enough games against D-I/II competition.

And here's the conference to do it:
    Sacred Heart (D-I independent)
    St. Anselm (D-II/ECAC-E ECAC-E)
    Franklin Pierce (D-II/NE-10 ECAC-E)
    Holy Cross (D-I ECAC-E)
    St. Michaels (D-II/NE-10 ECAC-E)
    Post University (D-II new)

That's 6 and they have an AQ into the NCAA NCC.
    Don't know why they wouldn't do it - right now they play for NOTHING after the regular season. Why not form up and play for a NCAA berth?

I honestly think that Post University has absolutely NO chance of fielding a women's team next season as they hope to do (what are they thinking!!??) - they have no coach and no recruited athletes. It would be an absolute embarrassment to start up in April from scratch and expect to play in October. I doubt they could even put a team on the ice. And I'm not even sure where they have ice - there isn't much in the Waterbury area .... Taft? Gunnery? Milford? Shelton (where Sacred Heart already plays)?

BTW - I can't wait for the WCHA crowd to go ballistic when this happens - "another bid for an undeserving team at the expense of the WCHA". But now all the D1 teams will be willing to schedule Sacred Heart - no reason not to - easy win that actually counts towards tourney qualifying....

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      But now all the D1 teams will be willing to schedule Sacred Heart - no reason not to - easy win that actually counts towards tourney qualifying....
      It wouldn't help at all toward tournament qualification. Wins against teams that are too weak mathematically wind up being dropped from the RPI calculation, Sacred Heart wouldn't be a Team Under Consideration, and it only helps in Common OPponents if Sacred Heart is able to beat or tie a team that is competing for a spot. It essentially winds up being a wasted game in terms of at-large qualification.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Though it would help in terms of playing enough games against D1 competition to be eligible.

Comment

6 team conference. 4 games against each other = 20 games. Surely SOMEBODY is going to run away and hide which will lead to a good winning pct. The out of conference games? What the heck, schedule the bottom half of the ECAC and HEA.

Eventually, they'll get better or die trying.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            6 team conference. 4 games against each other = 20 games. Surely SOMEBODY is going to run away and hide which will lead to a good winning pct. The out of conference games? What the heck, schedule the bottom half of the ECAC and HEA.

Eventually, they'll get better or die trying.
            Pointless. All about the Benjamins, and these programs have already shown they want to part with as few Lincolns ( the copper kind) as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Pointless. All about the Benjamins, and these programs have already shown they want to part with as few Lincolns ( the copper kind) as possible.
              Or they go 0 scholarships and play within a bus ride with limited overnights. They'll have to poop a few Jeffersons and maybe a Roosevelt or two.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                It wouldn't help at all toward tournament qualification. Wins against teams that are too weak mathematically wind up being dropped from the RPI calculation, Sacred Heart wouldn't be a Team Under Consideration, and it only helps in Common OPponents if Sacred Heart is able to beat or tie a team that is competing for a spot. It essentially winds up being a wasted game in terms of at-large qualification.
                The teams in the conference will play 80% (or more if no one will schedule them) of their games against each other. At least 1 will likely be a TUC as a result. Sacred Heart will have a shot against that team for at least 1 win or tie. So teams will take that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  The teams in the conference will play 80% (or more if no one will schedule them) of their games against each other. At least 1 will likely be a TUC as a result. Sacred Heart will have a shot against that team for at least 1 win or tie. So teams will take that chance.
                  We're talking a league like the CHA in size, only far weaker. In this year's CHA, only Mercyhurst was a TUC, and the Lakers were tied for 12th with two others. It isn't a given that a league full of teams that can't beat anyone but each other will have a TUC. Even if one team's RPI edges over .5000, it will rank near the bottom of the TUC list. Beating a team that has a win or a tie versus a TUC isn't the same as beating a TUC. The goal of teams trying to get in at large isn't to get an advantage over those teams near the bottom of the list. It is to gain some advantage over the top eight, only this year it was the top seven, and with a league of teams not interested in investing in their programs, just finding a way to get into the tournament, it would become the top six in some seasons. The math you suggest isn't the reason to play these teams.

I think full-time D-I teams would be forced to play them for another reason. Suppose they only played each other plus D-III teams. It is possible then that one or two of these teams could wind up with a very good RPI, if they weren't being defeated by teams from the other D-I leagues. Then if someone else from this hypothetical new league won its tournament auto bid, there could be two or possibly (although I'm not sure that the math would work out here) three tournament qualifiers from this isolated new league that doesn't play the full-time D-I programs. So teams may have an incentive to play this new league to try to drive down the RPI of everyone in the league. Note that if a number of teams do this, there isn't any direct PairWise advantage for the D-I team itself.

Yale played Sacred Heart in an exhibition, where the Bulldogs won 10-2, and a nonconference game, where they took a 13-0 decision. For that reason, I think that the NCAA selection rules would quickly change in this new world, because there isn't any benefit to having teams that are roughly the caliber of Sacred Heart added to a tournament that a team like Yale wasn't strong enough to reach.

Comment

For the record -- Yale's win against Sacred Heart this year did help Yale's RPI. It was not a "bad win" that was removed from their TUC.

Which, as has been a drum I've beaten all year, was ludicrous.
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      For the record -- Yale's win against Sacred Heart this year did help Yale's RPI.
                      That is likely a function of Yale being around .5000 in RPI. As you get closer to the top, there are more and more games that hurt rather than help. But, point taken.

Comment

Reminds me a little bit of Atlantic Hockey which limits the number of men's scholarships below 18.

I would think recruiting would be helped if these schools could play for something. And playing for something might make the schools consider offering some athletic money.

Comment

Post University hires their first Women's Coach

http://posteagles.com/news/2015/5/22...522152458.aspx
                          SHU Class of 2000. Heck at least I realize AH isn't that good.

Comment

How exactly does this D-II hockey conference work? I didn't even know it existed until reading about it just now. Is it different from D-III hockey other than the fact that they play for their own league championship? I feel like I'd be more inclined to go to a D-III school (in either men's or women's hockey) than to the Northeast-10, even though they're supposedly D-II.

Comment

Not to disparage the man, I'm sure he's a fine person. This is directed at the Post people...the assistant from NEC, the worst D3 team ever to lace up the skates in any era of hockey, who formerly coached and played club hockey???? What could possibly go wrong????

Comment

Working...
                              X