Bentley University Hockey 2015-2016: The Quest for 60-Minute Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentley University Hockey 2015-2016: The Quest for 60-Minute Hockey

Watching the wheels fall off that wagon wasn't fun. But, it's time to put the bitterness and disappointment of this season to bed.

Anyone seen any details on N/C schedules for next season? All I've seen is a date at QU.

What else needs to be shored up other than the obvious shortfall of finishing the full 60 minutes?

Can the increasing possibility of a new arena translate to better recruiting, or is it too soon?

Who will stand out as next season's leaders?
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Watching the wheels fall off that wagon wasn't fun. But, it's time to put the bitterness and disappointment of this season to bed.

Anyone seen any details on N/C schedules for next season? All I've seen is a date at QU.

What else needs to be shored up other than the obvious shortfall of finishing the full 60 minutes?

Can the increasing possibility of a new arena translate to better recruiting, or is it too soon?

Who will stand out as next season's leaders?
    Indeed, that collapse over the last month of the season was tough to endure, and must have been even tougher for our graduating seniors, who never got to Rochester for the tournament.

I think that injuries once again took their toll, especially during the second half of the season, with first the PP going south, and then the ability to win games against the lower ranked teams the last two weeks of the regular season.

I think that recruiting has been good over the last few years, with goaltending apparently in good shape for the foreseeable future.

With graduation of Weinstein and Maher, will need a full season from Matt Blomquist at D; I am thinking that he and Max French will have an A on their jerseys and Andrew Gladiuk the C?

Grieve, Switzer, and Kubiak will be tough to replace up front, but saw some promise in this past season's frosh forwards.

I have only seen mention of our usual early season visit to Quinnipiac, which I am pleased to see, as sometimes I can make that game and stay over with cousin's family. Hoping for a return visit to Bright, and really would like to see us visit Lake Whitt.
    Last edited by Snively65; 04-04-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I have only seen mention of our usual early season visit to Quinnipiac, which I am pleased to see, as sometimes I can make that game and stay over with cousin's family. Hoping for a return visit to Bright, and really would like to see us visit Lake Whitt.
      I heard that there was an effort to make the Harvard game a somewhat regular annual occurrence. It serves both programs well.

I'm hoping that 14 scholarship equivalents will begin to pay dividends in the next 2-3 seasons. I believe this past season was the first at that level.

Comment

I heard that there was an effort to make the Harvard game a somewhat regular annual occurrence. It serves both programs well.
        I also have heard that Bright is being considered a model for the new rink at Bentley. If do, that would be great, as I was impressed with sight lines and the general layout on my first visit this past fall.

Comment

I also have heard that Bright is being considered a model for the new rink at Bentley. If do, that would be great, as I was impressed with sight lines and the general layout on my first visit this past fall.
          The Crimson would be one of my personal top choices for any future opening night game at a new arena.

Comment

Re: Bentley University Hockey 2015-2016: The Quest for 60-Minute Hockey

Steve Weinstein has an assist, a SOG, and is -2 in his first three games with AHL Springfield Falcons.

Comment

Sad to report Weinstein has been released by Springfield after 3 games.

Another recruit committed to Bentley for next year. The incoming class looks pretty strong.

4 forwards, 3 defensemen, and a goalie to replace 2 defensemen, 3 forwards and a goalie.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=225496
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177620
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=102159
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=206315
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93554
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=190462
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85542
              http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=210749

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by The Top Shelf View Post
                Thanks for posting here, TTS. Looks like an impressive list of incoming freshmen: one Russian, three Canadians (two B.C. and one Manitoba), one each Minnesotan, Wisconsinite, Arizonan, and upstate New Yorker (Rochester).

Comment

Thanks for posting here, TTS. Looks like an impressive list of incoming freshmen: one Russian, three Canadians (two B.C. and one Manitoba), one each Minnesotan, Wisconsinite, Arizonan, and upstate New Yorker (Rochester).
                  That would make three goalies in AHC from Rochester - RMU's Terry Shafer and RIT's Mike Rotolo are the others.

Comment

I'm hoping that 14 scholarship equivalents will begin to pay dividends in the next 2-3 seasons. I believe this past season was the first at that level.
                    Double edged sword on increasing scholarships, one is that it should elevate the level of play and competitiveness of many teams in Atlantic Hockey, the downside is some programs will not utilize the additional cap due to financial concerns and down the line that will lead to some undesirable affects. I believe that this coming year we get the 14th scholarship on board, so likely another year or two to get tangible benefits on the ice with recruits coming onboard.

Comment

And keeps the Bentley tradition of upstate NY goalies alive. (Komm & Doc are from the Buffalo area)

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Originally posted by Ballroomblitz View Post
                        Double edged sword on increasing scholarships, one is that it should elevate the level of play and competitiveness of many teams in Atlantic Hockey, the downside is some programs will not utilize the additional cap due to financial concerns and down the line that will lead to some undesirable affects. I believe that this coming year we get the 14th scholarship on board, so likely another year or two to get tangible benefits on the ice with recruits coming onboard.
                        Very true, the arms race can have the effect of shrinking the sport.

Comment

Very true, the arms race can have the effect of shrinking the sport.
                          You know, this is a good debate, and I'll weigh in infrequently from time to time about these topics. I was just at the Frozen Four weekend for USCHO, and during the State of the Game, I asked the question about autonomy and the impact inflated costs could have on the game. The NCAA folks deflected it a little bit by saying they still weren't sure of its impact, which Tom Anastos (head coach of Michigan State) lightheartedly said, "I have no idea what's going to happen because nobody knows what'll happen yet."

In hindsight, it's true that inflated costs could, in effect, price out the smaller schools. But remember that RIT is a no-scholarship school that wanted scholarships in the worst way. They just won the league AND picked up a victory in the national tournament. Yale and Union won national championships without scholarships as well, though I'm sure there are ways around that "no scholarship" idea if they can bend and flex financial aid and such (no proof, pure speculation, and I don't want to rumor monger on that end).

So while adding scholarships is the key, it's also how you work with it. In lieu of a scholarship, RIT has a $30 million building. Yale offers the Ivy League education. Union - well I don't know what the heck happened there, but Nate Leaman built that program because he's apparently a genius when it comes to constructing a program as we just found out with PC.

Bottom line is that you don't necessarily *need* them, but in terms of putting your program in the right spot, you can't rely on the whole "well they did so we can too" mentality. I think the building will help much, much more, but it's definitely a positive if you can have those scholarships in your back pocket.

Bear in mind that 14 scholarships go over 25-30 guys, so there's going to be few full scholarships handed out anyways.
                          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

I think that the 14 full scholies are already paying dividends for Bentley, as some of the freshmen earned a lot of playing time this past year. Will not impact Air Force, Army, or RIT, of course. But, my guess is that the disparity in talent between the western and eastern pod AHA teams will persist well into the future, additional scholies or not. Would be good if Bentley found an answer to maintaining focused play up to the end of the regular season and get back to the tournament, but that inability goes well beyond scholies, I think.

Edit: wrote my post before I saw yours, Dan. Good to have you back, and fine effort this past season co-writing the AHA column for USCHO. Who won your pick 'em contest?
                            Last edited by Snively65; 04-18-2015, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Bentley no longer in cellar of FS23's best Div 1 teams of all time with addition of Arizona State, as we remain at 59th.

Comment

Working...
                              X