Frozen Four - Where to Eat? Drink? Must See Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Four - Where to Eat? Drink? Must See Stuff

If you are looking for cheap beer Coogan's in the financial district has $1 Bud/Bud light drafts. It's roughly a 15 minute walk form the Garden.

Comment

Alright, so I may have gone a little overboard… this turned into a 3 page sample itinerary that I had to create a blog for.

Here it is if you want the hyperlinks to the restaurants suggested: http://hpanos.blogspot.com

Otherwise, here you go.

Thursday

12pm: Head to South Station (Red Line on the T). Grab lunch along the Greenway (the park built where the old elevated I-93 highway was- aka The Big Dig’s payoff) and find out what Boston paid $10 billion for. There are some great food trucks across from South Station and at Rowes Wharf (schedule listed here: http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/visit/food/) or visit James Hook + Co (http://www.yelp.com/map/james-hook-and-co-boston) for all things lobster.

Walk down the Greenway and continue on to the Harborwalk- make sure to wander over to the Aquarium and see the harbor seals (for free!) in the little exhibit in front. For those of you staying at the Long Wharf, this is across from your hotel. If the weather’s bad, the Aquarium or the IMAX theatre is a fun thing to do. Also nearby is the Tea Party Museum (which I haven’t been to.)

If you make it all the way up into the North End, grab a pregame snack (pretty much anywhere) of which my fave is the cannoli at Bova’s or Modern Pastry. Mike’s Pastry is also great. If you want something more substantial, get the lobster roll from Neptune’s Oyster.

3pm: Head over to the Garden and grab a pregame drink and check out the sports memorabilia at The Four’s.

5pm: Semifinals begin at TD Garden.
      Last edited by hpgunner14; 04-01-2015, 11:45 PM.
      BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Friday

9am: Let’s pretend your team is not North Dakota and you’re a in a good mood and want to get out and do some more exploring!

Head to Back Bay station (Orange line/Commuter rail) or Copley (Green Line) and get breakfast at Flour on Dartmouth Street. Walk north down Dartmouth into the heart of Copley Square and check out HH Richardson’s Trinity Church. Head in to the Boston Public Library (America’s first) and do a quick walk around or do the whole Art & Architecture tour. Go check out the Finish Line of the Boston Marathon (taking place on April 20th) and buy something from Marathon Sports or City Sports on Boylston Street. If you have a boutique retail-oriented travel companion, Newbury Street is one block away. Then choose to go East or West...

West: The Fens Tour/Brookline
        Head down to Commonwealth Ave and walk west (or take the Green Line if you’re getting leggy) to Kenmore Square. The big Citgo sign you see over the wall of the Green Monster at Fenway sits on top of the BU Barnes & Noble and is the Eastern-most (pretty much) edge of BU. Lots of BU and Boston-related merchandise on the bottom floor. Walk up Brookline Ave to Fenway Park and buy tickets to a tour at Gate D (about $20). The tour lasts for a few hours and you get to go all over Fenway (including into the press box and visitor’s dugout sometimes!) and there’s a cool little Red Sox museum at the end with a lot of MVP/Cy Young Awards.

Get a coffee/crepe from Neighborhoods on Peterborough, or if it’s lunchtime, the El Guapo burrito from El Pelon taqueria next-door. (When El Pelon burned down, I had to force myself to trek up Comm Ave to BC territory to get my fix occasionally.)

Wander over to the Fens- part of Frederick Law Olmsted’s Emerald Necklace linking all of Boston’s parks. If you’re into art at all, the humongous Museum of Fine Arts with it’s new American art wing as well as the excellent Isabella Stewart Gardner museum (has Titian’s Europa and a very cool courtyard- can see a lot of it in just a couple hours) are both located here.
        Downside: you’ve gotten closer to Northeastern.

Dinner/Bars in Kenmore: Eastern Standard is one of the best all-around restaurants in Boston with an awesome mint julep. Island Creek Oyster Bar is amazing seafood. The Hawthorne is a great mixology/cocktail bar with good small bites. If you’re looking for more of a dive, The Lower Depths has a great tap selection right in Kenmore.

If you want to head up Comm Ave along BU’s campus, the Dugout is the diviest of dives (LOL at the 4 stars on Yelp- but you may catch an ex-Terrier in there) and keep heading up until you get to St. Paul St and go to Sunset Cantina right across from Agganis. The food is better than average for the price (Boston ain’t cheap) and tons of tequila and beers.

Alternatively, take the C line from Kenmore (or a pretty short cab ride) to Washington Square in Brookline. The Publick House has the largest selection of beers in Boston/Brookline and specializes in Belgian beers and moules frites (that’s mussels and fries for you uncultured folk- for you there’s the delicious mac & cheese.) The Fireplace is another very good restaurant and I’ve heard great things about Ribelle as well as Barcelona Bar (a little more on the more expensive/fancy side.)

A few stops closer on the C Line is Coolidge Corner, kind of the main square of Brookline. Get ice cream at JP Licks, Thai food at Dok Bua, burritos at Anna’s Taqueria, or if you’re there for lunch, the Rachel (corned beef and coleslaw) from Michael’s Deli or the New Jewish cuisine of Zaftig’s Deli. Good bars are Hops N Scotch right on Brookline Ave, or walk down Harvard St into Brookline Village and go to Matt Murphy’s for a taste of Ireland (and frequently live music.)

East: The Freedom Trail

This little tour is easy- head east down Boylston (if you’re ready for lunch, get a sandwich from Parish Cafe- trust me.) Walk into the Public Garden towards the North. If you have kids, this is where the Make Way for Ducklings statues live, and are right across from Cheers. Walk across the suspension bridge and check out the swan boats, cross the street into America’s first public park- Boston Common. Walk towards the gold dome of the Massachusetts State House (on the site of John Hancock’s old estate) and pick up the Freedom Trail from here. Literally a 2+ mile trail of red bricks, this path will take you along many of Boston’s historic sites- including the Granary Burial Ground to see the graves of Paul Revere, Sam Adams, and John Hancock. Follow the Trail to the original State House and see the site of the Boston Massacre. Look up to see the balcony where the Declaration of Independence was read to the citizens of Boston in July 1776. Keep walking down to Faneuil Hall (go to the top floor) and wander around Quincy Market. Grab a drink at the Green Dragon (favorite bar of the Sons of Liberty) or food at the Union Oyster House (America’s oldest restaurant.) If you end up in this area at night, watch out for the bros. You can continue into the North End to see the Old North Church (“one if by land, two if by sea”) and even to the Bunker Hill Memorial and the USS Constitution of Charlestown (hometown of Captain Matt Grzelcyk.)

Alternatively, a lot of these sites can also be enjoyed via Duck Tour if you’re not quite up to walking for several hours. These can be picked up if you walk into the Prudential Center mall, and have the added fun of ‘sailing’ on the Charles! These are kind of pricey ($30ish) and touristy, but hey we’re being tourists here, and this is a nice way of seeing Boston if you’re not familiar.
        BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Saturday

Check out Cambridge! The ‘People’s Republic’ of the North Bank of the Charles River and home to MIT and Harvard. Cool things to check out are the MIT Museum as well as the area around Harvard Square. Good things to eat can be found at the famous old Mr. Bartley’s Burger, Pinnochio’s pizza, and Russell House Tavern. If you want to get off the beaten path a bit and find some of the best restaurants in Boston, go to Inman Square. If it’s breakfast/brunch, go to The Friendly Toast. If it’s lunchtime, get Indian at Punjabi Dhaba or baja tacos at Olecito. If it’s pregame dinner/drinks get the fish and chips at The Druid, chicken and waffles from Trina’s Starlite Lounge, or beer and snacks at Lord Hobo.

Then take a taxi or the Red Line to Charles St/MGH and walk over to the...

8pm- Championship game at TD Garden
          BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

Thanks all! Lots of good suggestions. hpgunner14 gets the gold medal!
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Great info in this thread. I'm staying at the Boston Marriott in Cambridge and got a price through my business that I'm almost embarrassed to take. I'm definitely going to take up some of the Cambridge suggestions.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
              12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by hpgunner14 View Post
                Too bad you won't see the whole game.
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Where can I get a good steak or seafood near garden?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If you make it all the way up into the North End, grab a pregame snack (pretty much anywhere) of which my fave is the cannoli at Bova’s or Modern Pastry. Mike’s Pastry is also great. If you want something more substantial, get the lobster roll from Neptune’s Oyster.
                    The Lobster Roll at Neptune is terrific, but a slight caveat is in order. My observation is that it's almost impossible to be seated at the bar or at a table without a 90 minute wait these days.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Where can I get a good steak or seafood near garden?
                      define "near"
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If any of you out of towners are near Chinatown.. try Kaze Shabu Shabu. Pretty neat experience.. good food as well.

You get to cook your food by your table.. kids, husbands, wives, all can get involved (or not). Meals are super.. if you don't want to go through hassle they happily cook it for you. Its by Harrison Ave.. well worth the visit. Bank it.

Near the garden.. for good seafood try Neptune Oyster.. small, go early (off Salem St).

Walrus for steak.. not that many 'great' options nearby.. however.. not too far (less than mile drive or take Orange line).. try Moo (its at the XV Beacon Hotel, 15 Beacon St).. great everything steak (bit pricey but well worth it).
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          The Lobster Roll at Neptune is terrific, but a slight caveat is in order. My observation is that it's almost impossible to be seated at the bar or at a table without a 90 minute wait these days.
                          This is true- and applies to a lot of the restaurants I suggested. Kind of applies to Boston in general to be honest. It's a combination of try to plan and call ahead for reservations and being flexible (sitting at bar, leaving your name/number and going somewhere nearby to get a drink first) to get a table on short notice. That or $$, but I never had that.
                          BU '05, '08, '12

Comment

My go to place for brunch before matinee Bruins games is The Kinsale. It's across Cambridge street from Government Center about 5-10 minute walk from the Garden. Also about 5 minutes from Faneuil Hall where the Freedom Trail walking tour ends. Not one of the many "Thirsty Mc Fridays" type poser chain places, The Kinsale is a legit Irish Pub with all the woodwork, bars, mantles etc imported from Ireland. Solid beer selection and killer Bloody Mary's. Eggs Benedict (including a New England twist - Cod Cake Eggs Benedict) is awesome and if you really want to hurt yourself go with the "Full Irish Breakfast". My off the boat Irish friends say it's the real deal.
                            Last edited by Fishhawk; 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                              That is gone I believe. The area by the Garden has vastly changed.
                              I wouldn't say "vastly". The Harp has been there for at least 20 years (my wife and I hosted the Hockey L dinner there in 1998). Half Time Pizza, the Penalty Box, Sully's have been around since I was a kid. Yup, there are some newer places the Grand Canal, Hurricane O'Reilly's, etc., but the place really hasn't had a big upgrade. I blame this on Jeremy Jacobs, the owner of the Garden and the Bruins. He has owned the Garden since the mid-70's and has bypassed several opportunites in good economies to upgrade the area. Compare what Red Sox ownership has spawned around Fenway to what Jacobs has not done around the Garden and he should be embarassed.

Enough rant, one newer place, on the corner of Causeway and the Rose Kennedy Greenway is Tavern on the Square. Had not been there until we needed a pit stop before the Hockey East final. The place was mobbed on a Saturday afternoon (most not going to the game) but I was taken aback by the beer selection on tap. Not as dark and dingy as some of the other Garden are spots. Since we're talking about beer, I would also suggest the Sunset Grille and Sunset Cantina in Allston. Both can be reached by the Green Line, Commonwealth Avenue branch. The Grille is the original place and, I think, the first establishment in Boston to serve Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada on tap.Get off at Harvard St., walk west down Harvard, turn right on Brighton Ave. and it's right there (next the laundromat I used to use 40 years ago). The Cantina's beer choices are as good, the food is decent (ribs especially) and it has the added perk of being right across from Agganis Arena. Not sure if Agganis is open for tours or if you can just walk in but BU did a pretty good job with arena, good sight lines, wide concourses, and a great display of the rich BU hockey history. Parenthetically I will mention that the arena is named after Harry Agganis, the greatest athlete ever to come out of my high school Lynn (MA) Classical. At BU Harry was an All-American in football and good enough in baseball to start for the Red Sox in the mid-50's before dying at the age of 25. Ironically, the two sports that he excelled in are no longer played BU.

One thing about the North End. It will be very, very crowded and I would suggest that those who wander into a restaurant next weekend around 5-6 PM will, at most places, have at least an hour wait. Almost all the restaurants down there have seating capacities of 50-150 tops. I highly recommend just about any place in the North End, the service and food is, for the most part, excellent. And the neighborhood is like no other in Boston. But don't expect a quick entry and exit, sit back, relax, enjoy the food and the atmosphere. You're on sabattical!

Comment

Saturday

Check out Cambridge! The ‘People’s Republic’ of the North Bank of the Charles River and home to MIT and Harvard. Cool things to check out are the MIT Museum as well as the area around Harvard Square. Good things to eat can be found at the famous old Mr. Bartley’s Burger, Pinnochio’s pizza, and Russell House Tavern. If you want to get off the beaten path a bit and find some of the best restaurants in Boston, go to Inman Square. If it’s breakfast/brunch, go to The Friendly Toast. If it’s lunchtime, get Indian at Punjabi Dhaba or baja tacos at Olecito. If it’s pregame dinner/drinks get the fish and chips at The Druid, chicken and waffles from Trina’s Starlite Lounge, or beer and snacks at Lord Hobo.

Then take a taxi or the Red Line to Charles St/MGH and walk over to the...

Don't forget Charlie's Kitchen, one of the last authentic places in the Square. And the game starts a 7:30

Comment

Working...
                                X