Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey Dads...A tragic gut wrenching/heart warming story involving a very local boy..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Dads...A tragic gut wrenching/heart warming story involving a very local boy..

From tonight's National News...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-ga...mily-1.3015087

Re: Hockey Dads...A tragic gut wrenching/heart warming story involving a very local b

Gut wrenching and heartwarming are both correct. Not ashamed to say this story got to me.

Just when you think you've absorbed the tale, you read that Hamonic does this for every Islander home game? Amazing human being; it makes one proud to be part of the hockey community. But it's also very sobering to realize that there are so many tragic situations out there; enough to cover the entire schedule...

Comment

Re: Hockey Dads...A tragic gut wrenching/heart warming story involving a very local b

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Gut wrenching and heartwarming are both correct. Not ashamed to say this story got to me.

Just when you think you've absorbed the tale, you read that Hamonic does this for every Islander home game? Amazing human being; it makes one proud to be part of the hockey community. But it's also very sobering to realize that there are so many tragic situations out there; enough to cover the entire schedule...
      True words.

Some of us are amazed and feel quite lucky to live in the neighbourhood that we do with respect to the hockey talent that has emerged from here in the last number of years. There must be something in the water.

Although they graduated a few years ago, the D1 Womens' names that come to mind are Lana Steck, Taylor Van Denakker and Delayne Brian...all goaltenders and within a year of each other, if I recall correctly. (Brian lived about 5-10 minutes away, so, close enough). On the Mens' side a few names that come to mind are Travis Hamonic, Nigel Dawes and Jonathan Toews.

I know that 5 or 6 years ago Steck, Brian and Hamonic, among others, used to train together in the off season at the same facility in the local Community Club. A few years ago the name of that Community Club was changed to the Jonathon Toews Community Centre...to recognize a 22 or 23 year old at the time! Think about that.

My neighbour's son used to play AAA with Toews and my neighbour told me often "there's this kid, Toews, who plays on our team...you've got to come out and watch him play...he's absolutely amazing...everybody thinks he will eventually play in the NHL!" As often as I thought of it and wanted to, I somehow successfully managed not to. I've kind of regretted it because, as I think I alluded to in the Canada Winter Games thread a few weeks back, one of the most enjoyable aspects of being a hockey fan for me has been watching younger players develop and starting to see their elite abilities become obvious just before the bright lights of wider acclaim start shining on them.

It's even more gratifying to learn that they have become or continued to be exceptional human beings...stepping outside the box in an attempt to make a difference in life in there own way.

Time, space, the circle of life and junk.
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-01-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X