Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

At the risk of being arrested by the Gazette copyright police, here is the entire article.. sounds like a major upgrade and reconfiguration of things, though I'm surprised they think they can do all this for $10M. Very glad to hear this and that they are not just resting on their laurels after the "huge success" of the new lightbulbs . Hopefully they can raise the funds relatively quickly, the program could use a jolt as the NC is looking further & further in the past with every game.

The hockey barn that Union calls home is getting more than a new coat of paint. A video scoreboard, seating — with backs — that is closer to the boards and a new concession area are part of a $10 million renovation plan for Messa Rink at Union College, officials said. The college has approved fundraising to renovate the nearly 41-year-old facility, Union athletic director Jim McLaughlin said. There is no timetable yet for the project, in part because all the money will come from donations. “It will be all fund-raised, just like the majority of our capital improvements on campus,” McLaughlin said.

The project is slated to include:
    — A new video scoreboard.
    — A new entrance across from Bailey Field.
    — A new floor for the ice surface, along with new boards and glass.
    — New coaches' offices.
    — New seating. Many of the seats in the lower level will go right to the glass. The lower-level seats will have back support. The upper-level seating will be bleacher seats.
    — A hospitality room that will look out not only at the rink, but Bailey Field.
    — New concession stands and bathrooms on both sides of the rink.

“Our plan is to make sure we have the right amenities for our fans to have a terrific experience,” McLaughlin said. “We have a terrific product on the ice, but we need to make sure that we service our fans and alumni well.”

Union has contracted Clough, Harbour & Associates to help with the refurbishing. Among the facilities the company helped design and build are the Times Union Center (it was known as Knickerbocker Arena when it opened in 1990) and Joseph L. Bruno Stadium. “We’ve been looking at this for the past couple of years,” McLaughlin said. “We’ve been working with Clough, Harbour & Associates. We have gone through a few iterations on designs. They’ve come back with something that we feel good about. We just feel that it’s time. This is a building that was built in the mid ’70s for one Division III program. Through that 40-year period, it’s now housing two Division I programs. It’s just time to take a look at upgrades to the rink.” McLaughlin hopes the funds can be raised soon so that the project can get underway. “We want this done as quickly as possible,” McLaughlin said. “We want to make sure that we do it in a fiscally responsible way. That’s how we’ve always done things on this campus, and we’ll continue to do that.”

Messa Rink, first known as Achilles Rink, opened in 1975, when Union re-started its men’s hockey program. The facility underwent improvements starting in the summer of 2003 and completed the following year. A new cooling system, boards and glass, locker rooms and the conversion of a storage area downstairs, which had been a curling rink, to a reception area were among the major projects. The rink was renamed after Union alum Frank Messa, who donated a gift to the college.

Union coach Rick Bennett is thrilled that Messa Rink will be getting a much-needed facelift. “It’s a really exciting time to be a part of Union hockey, especially as a player,” Bennett said. “It’s a feel-good thing. Hopefully, it’s going to happen here soon. For all the alums and the players, the buzz around campus is going to be an exciting time.”

In recent years, other ECACH teams have either refurbished or built a new facility. Quinnipiac’s High Point Solutions Arena opened Jan. 27, 2007. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s Houston Field House, which opened in 1949, underwent renovations between 2008 and 2010. Clarkson is scheduled to make improvements to Cheel Arena, which opened in 1991. Colgate is building a new facility that will open next season to replace 57-year-old Starr Rink.

“I don’t feel we went into this trying to keep up with the Joneses,” Bennett said. “I feel we needed to correct some things. This was more about Union College and Union hockey than worrying about others. I feel that’s the way the school has always gone about its business. It’s gone about its business in a right way. The way they’re approaching this is first class. I know when that shovel goes in the ground, the right plan is in place.”
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      — A new floor for the ice surface,
      This is really important. We need to tear up the rink's concrete floor and install a new one with new cooling pipes. It's really critical that we control the temp of the ice and especially the temperature of the ice surface. The current surface has problems and slows us and everyone else down.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 02-09-2016, 12:12 PM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by GameOn View Post
        We controlled play for roughly 60 minutes and have nothing to show for it. I've long stopped expecting a win each night and am happy when they're competitive. Say what you will but Sak didn't give us a chance to win. 3 goals against with 20 odd shots...not even mediocre. He makes playing goal look difficult. I will say that if Kupsky hasn't stepped up yet I'm worried about our immediate future in goal.

Secondly we played a high effort game. It was frustrating that with all the shots on goal we didn't have many grade A's. Credit Clarkson's D. I know it's blasphemy but even with the penalty shot goal I feel that Vech has not developed much since last year. He's still EASILY our best player however he doesn't seem to have elevated the team around him. His goals coming into the year were to elevate his game to the level of Vesey at Harvard but I'm afraid I haven't seen it yet.

At this point outside of Vech we don't have a consistent offensive threat. No one that can create and be counted on to generate offense night in and night out. Let's be happy with the development and hope this coaching staff can continue to squeeze as much out of this squad as they can for future years.

To rebuild this team into a champion we need 4-5 outstanding talents and about 15 guys that hate losing more than anything. Let's hope this freshman group and the next can begin to fill in and lay the foundation for a resurgence.

Go U
        I just want to say this as a Harvard fan to help you guys understand something. Gostisbehere was a once a generation talent. Someone like him comes along every 25 years. If you expect to recruit that kind of talent consistently, you are dreaming. In the eighties, we thought the talent pipeline would never dry up. It did. It took us almost 30 years between Lane MacDonald lacing them up for us and now Jimmy Vesey. Schools that have stringent academic requirements can't recruit like BC and BU. It's just not possible. You can only reference the national championship for so many years and then kids forget you were even in that game. It has more to do with national reputation and consistency of Top Ten rankings. That isn't realistic for the Ivies and I don't think it is realistic for you guys. I'm saying this with huge respect for what you have accomplished and for how you play the game.

Comment

Did I miss something? I can't seem to find any account of Saturday's tie against SLU. Ken hasn't written anything, and there was nothing on FaceBook. It's as if the game never occurred.
          Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            This is really important. We need to tear up the rink's concrete floor and install a new one with new cooling pipes. It's really critical that we control the temp of the ice and especially the temperature of the ice surface. The current surface has problems and slows us and everyone else down.
            OMG yes, that would be a big help.. I can't stand watching games played in slush, which unfortunately still is much the case when the weather gets warmer at playoff time. As an engineer, I still can't believe that they installed an expensive new refrigeration system in 2003 but didn't pony up the money to upgrade the pipes under the ice. They are the same ones from 1975 for god's sake and the ice only got a little better. It's like putting a brand new V-8 engine in a '75 Ford Pinto and being surprised that it still can't go over 60 MPH. I hope it wasn't Clough Harbour that recommended that.. touting that they "helped" design the TU Center is not exactly a claim to fame from a hockey rink perspective.

As for this last weekend, the loss on Friday was a killer and pretty much "seals the deal" for U being on the road in the playoffs. 6 points out of 8th place with 6 games to go including 3 games against top 4 teams plus the Lynah/Starr trip.. will be lucky to finish 9th or 10th. I'm encouraged by the effort the last couple weekends and maybe that will start turning into more W's, but still see too many glaring weaknesses and inconsistencies for this team to go on some kind of run. Wonder if Henry leaving will mean bringing in another d-man or 2 for next season. It definitely seems like an area that might prosper from a little more competition.
            Last edited by ADK11; 02-09-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Bridgeport

Union College Hockey vs Michigan State - NCAA Tournament 2012 - First NCAA Tournament Win 3-1
              https://youtu.be/xE05OgG_v34
              "They rely on defense first and offense second"

Union College Hockey vs UMass Lowell - NCAA Tournament 2012 - Second NCAA Tournament Win 4-2
              https://youtu.be/plWxwET7HrA

On to Tampa
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

On a more forward looking note, I found this video compendium of '16 recruit Luc Brown's goals this season (35 of them missing his latest tally). Is always hard to tell how good a player really is based on video snippets from a Junior A league, but looks like he has a heavy, accurate shot with a very quick release. Not sure if he is as good a skater, but reminds a little bit of Greg Carey from SLU. This kid could be the real deal.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgJd51QRUv4

Comment

Looks like Luc Brown has good hands and has a quick, accurate shot. Skating looks fine. Defense and goaltending in those clips is dismal. Big step up to NCAA D1.

Comment

I like this team .....
                    We are 1-4-4 in our last 9 but:
                    Since starting the 13 freshmen and sophomores
                    We are playing 60 minutes ...
                    We are winning more 1 on 1 battles ...
                    We are back to being tough to play against ....
                    We are playing with more intensity ... especially the leadership
                    We are playing with fewer turnovers ...
                    We are hungrier ...
                    We are fun to watch !!!!

In 2013-2014, we were 1-2-2 out of the gate but you could tell good things were going to happen. You can see the "youngins" are much hungrier than the upperclassmen. Makes sense. You have been a member of a national championship team .... what do you do for an encore?

Two years ago we lost 2 first string all-American defensemen and last year we lost an all-American goalie and 30% of our scoring. We had hoped that returning so many on "D" that there would be folks stepping up. What we do have is one of the youngest teams in college hockey, around 10th youngest. No excuses. We are a no-excuses team.

I had picked us for 10th in the ECAC based on lack of an establish goaltender and loss of scoring. I still hope I am wrong. I was wrong about Dartmouth whom I felt would be at the bottom of the ECAC since they lost just about everyone. Goes to show you that each team develops its own character and freshmen skill is important.

Next year we are losing 5 seniors but only two are starters, a very good defensive forward and very good defensemen. Can we get Vecchione to stay for his senior year?

We are no longer that team which can be said .... "They rely on defense first and offense second". We are clearly recruiting for offense and developing offensive minded defensemen. In 2014, we averaged 5.00 ppg through six playoff games (two ECAC and 4 NCAA). Not sure this is a bad thing.

As a school and as a league we have no sustainable competitive advantage over big brother (HE) or the South Dakota's or the Minnesota's or the Michigan's or the Saint Clouds of the world. The IVY's face a very rigid and enforced academic index which hits Harvard, Yale and Princeton the hardest. They have a small pool to recruit from at the top of the academic pyramid. Colgate has something similar as part of the Patriot League. The Liberty League members have to make sure that their programs don't get out of synch with the rest of their respective D-III sports programs and are held back by budgets. All of the ECAC takes great pride in graduation rates and the emphasis is on the student in student-athlete. There are clearly excellent academic schools in other leagues including HE and the Big 10 but count the number of SEM (Science, Engineering, and Math) majors on the hockey team. We may not be the best league in college hockey but there is no question that as a league, we are way tops academically.

How we do as well as we do is beyond me.

We are dwarfed by other leagues if you look at the number of NFL draft picks, especially if you take away Harvard and Cornell.

We (Union) have to find a "diamond in the rough" and then we have to develop them into D-I hockey players in an environment where we are constrained by not being able to give out scholarships AND where our whole athletic department reports to an academic dean and we have no money.

How successful is our program? Getting BU, Michigan and next year South Dakota to come play us was unimaginable 4-5 years ago. That is a testament to how well we have done and how well the ECAC has done. 9 of our 12 ECAC teams are .500 and above.

I see our cup as half full and I would not want to play us, home or away, in the first round of the ECAC tournament. We are not going to go quietly into the night.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-12-2016, 02:51 AM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

It has indeed been like watching a different team for the last four games and every game has been exciting to see whether it's a win, loss or tie. Regardless of the turnout of the end of this season I think that this team is showing great potential for next year. The only question remaining is between the pipes as we'll need a goaltender who can steal a game here and there.

By the way, I'm new to the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed the thoughts and analysis I've found here that go far beyond just the box score. It's fun and interesting to read and something that seems to be lacking in most of the other sources that cover Union Hockey.

Let's go Dutchmen!
                      Let's Go Union!!

Comment

Nice 4-1 win for Union at Dartmouth. It was especially nice to see the Dutchmen score three in the third to pull away, given their previous woes late in games this year.

Comment

Harvard Explained

Why is crimson Harvard’s official color? At a Boston City Regatta on June 19, 1858, tutor Charles W. Eliot, Class

by GILLIAN L. WARMFLASH Apr 11, 2002

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...mson-harvards/

Though the University archives bear no trace of Union College’s involvement in Harvard’s return to crimson, the small school in Schenectady, N.Y., insists its role in the color change was central. For Union, too, had a similar love affair with magenta in the mid-19th century. In 1866 a committee of Union undergraduates chose magenta as the school’s official color, according to Union archivist Ellen Fladger. Fladger says that when Union and Harvard faced off in an 1875 Rowing Association Regatta, “a crisis ensued when each team claimed priority to the color.” Though Union lore holds that the New York college forced Harvard to abandon the magenta, Fladger says the truth is that Harvard alums precipitated the shift back to crimson.

Faculty, students and alumni met in Holden Chapel on May 6, 1875, to end the color war once and for all. Though the group was temporarily deadlocked between magenta and crimson, The Magenta reported that the tide of public opinion turned after a speech by “the man who caused all the trouble.” The unnamed speaker said that a decade earlier he had bought magenta handkerchiefs for the crew team only because of a lack of the crimson variety. He “completely silenced the skeptics,” The Magenta reported. A large majority of those at the Holden Chapel meeting voted for the original color, and on May 27 The Magenta renamed itself The Harvard Crimson. On May 23, 1910, the Corporation officially decreed crimson the University’s color. Union College, thinking that Harvard was keeping magenta, had long since changed its color to garnet, a brownish shade of red.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Since January 1, we are 4-4-4 with 4 Over Times ....
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Thanks, I needed that!

Comment

Going to be heading out shortly to the game. The temperature tonight falling to -8 (before the wind chill which should make it -30) so if you are going, got to dress warmly. The Union pre-game get together is a sellout and we usually have a great alumni turnout. Last year's turnout at Againis (BU) was spectacular !!! We have lots of local folks ...
                                Bassard - Nobles
                                Light - Phillips Academy
                                Scarfo - N. Chelmsford
                                Vecchione - Saugus and Malden Catholic
                                Young - Hanson
                                I have got 4 xxxx@post.harvard.edu in my family so someone is going to be happy. I will be decked out in my UNION regalia. We don't have the speed, skill or stopping power of Harvard but if our "youngins" give it 60 minutes and our Captains lead by example and we stay out of the penalty box (that means you Scarfo ) we got a chance. The best place to park is through the Gate in front of the stadium. I think it's $10.00. If not, you can park in the Business School Parking Lot or even on W. Harvard Street.
                                Win, lose or draw, I hope we continue to see that new Union Team.

John Paul Jones -
                                I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X