Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

One big thing lacking on today's team has been the presence of skilled defenseman. While we can't expect the likes of Bodie and Ghost to be easily replaced I wonder how the upcoming recruits look? What is known about Ben Newhouse? He appears to be a smaller puck handling defenseman. Make no mistake that the lack of success of our goalies this year has a lot to do with a weak D corps.

Comment

Let us hope we don't see this again today .....
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCHg3IcwaE

Swiss Hockey Player Ronny Keller PARALYZED Following Gruesome Hit in Swiss Playoff Game
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjBzdu2LAY
      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

So much for the fast lane...looks more like the shoulder with a flat tire. The Union locker room is probably not too happy a place right now. RB's challenge is a big one, getting this team back in gear. The early goal phenomenon is puzzling. It's a tough way to start a game. It is too easy being a Monday morning QB. It does seem, though, that consistency continues to elude the Dutchmen. Expectations and reality seem to be drifting farther apart.
        Last edited by Miami Ice; 01-24-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Don't despair !!!

We are 9-9-6 overall and that was probably the best RPI Team in the past 10 years. There is still enough time to climb for a home playoff birth in the first round and even if we don't, last year we came very close to making it to Lake Placid. I still like this team.

That being said, Hockey is a game about winning one on one battles. We have got to do a better job at it. Especially our D core.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I wouldn't call it despair but rather a reality check. The same issues that plagued the team early in the season remain. Inconsistent play, and a lack of development from a few key players. Currently we do not have a goalie that can win a game on their own. While it's not a necessity it's certainly helpful when your back end isn't stacked with talent. At this point we know what we have in Sak. I would prefer playing either of the young guys to get them reps for the future.

The rest of this season is about small gains. Be better on the next shift, the next period, the next game. Without a question this team poses the biggest challenge this coaching staff has faced. What new methods can be installed to motivate the team and make them better? Clearly the "pack of wolves" mentality has not been received and adopted by this team. The lack of compete is not acceptable.

Comment

Union doesn't have a number one goalie. Sak might be one by default, but he isn't a number one goalie on a good team. Kinkaid, Grosenick and Stevens were legit number one goaltenders. Sak isn't in their class. Kupsky might turn out to be the answer in time, but the early results have been mixed. I would have started Young last night based off his effort against Cornell. He earned the start.

Besides a huge dropoff in goaltending, there has been another big drop off in the defensemen compared to a few years ago. Beyond losing Bodie and Gostisbehere, Union really doesn't have any great hard-nosed, defensive defensemen like Matheson, Julseth-White, Stuart, etc. Those guys didn't light up the stat sheet, but they were solid as a rock on the blueline. One criticism I heard of Union's defensemen last year is that most of them think "too offensive."

Leadership is another concern. Matheson, Julseth-White and Bodie were great captains, heart and soul of the team type players. I don't think the captains in the past two seasons have measured up to their standards.

Comment

Through 2014, under both Leaman and Bennett, I felt players were held accountable: ice time and roles were clear and rational. I haven't felt that way the past two seasons, and while we don't see practices or know of injuries, I don't recall the coaches tolerating the effort and mental mistakes we've been seeing (undisciplined penalties, poor zone coverage, poor backchecking effort, lost one/one battles, etc.).

Last year, Union's captain led the team in penalties. This year, one captain leads in penalties while the other leads in penalty minutes. In fact, this year's four captains/alternate captains are all amongst the team's five most penalized players. If coaches and captains themselves don't hold leaders accountable, Union hockey fans should expect more disappointment as a lack of discipline and effort bleeds through the team. Bennett should stop talking tough and should do his job.

Update: Mat Bodie led the team in penalties in 2013-14, so maybe that's just part of wearing the "C" at Union.
                Last edited by Vaportrail; 01-24-2016, 09:21 PM.

Comment

There is an accountability issue I agree, but I think Bennett is afraid to use the options...
                  Let's go Union !
                  ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                  ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                  NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

I had low expectations this year but one of my assumptions about this year's team was that, since we were returning almost all of the D core, they would be much improved and would probably step up their game to the next level.

Take a look at the first 12 seconds of this highlight video of the Cornell game. #28 is Noah Henry. #9 from Cornell does not have to work very hard to take that puck away and score. I am not trying to single out Noah because I have seen this elsewhere in the D-Core. My hope was that the D-core would have stepped things up a level this year. Does not look that way.

https://youtu.be/t0WSN8XPus0

Most will be back next year ... hope springs eternal.
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by dutchman View Post
                      i had low expectations this year but one of my assumptions about this year's team was that, since we were returning almost all of the d core, they would be much improved and would probably step up their game to the next level.

Take a look at the first 12 seconds of this highlight video of the cornell game. #28 is noah henry. #9 from cornell does not have to work very hard to take that puck away and score. I am not trying to single out noah because i have seen this elsewhere in the d-core. My hope was that the d-core would have stepped things up a level this year. Does not look that way.

https://youtu.be/t0wsn8xpus0

most will be back next year ... Hope springs eternal.
                      Dutchman,

The play you write about (and show in first 12 seconds of video) is an interesting example of a Cornell power play goal resulting from a combination of unacceptable Union mistakes:
                      • On zone entry, Light poke checks the puck and Foo swipes it into the far corner
                      • Light rides his man to the outside, and Foo loses his man and drifts to the near corner. Mistake #1
                      • Vecchione, because he is a right shot forward, makes the right play to feed the puck behind the net to Henry for the clear
                      • Cornell player makes a nice play, and Henry loses the puck. Mistake #2
                      • As he curls to the boards, Foo picks teammate Light, and Light can't prevent pass to slot. Mistake #3
                      • Unattended player left in slot gets open shot.

While Noah lost his battle, Spencer (and coaches) would tell you this goal is on him for losing his coverage responsibility and leaving the slot unattended. This is a good example of the sloppiness we've seen in coverage and backchecking since the holiday break.
                      Last edited by Vaportrail; 01-25-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                        Dutchman,

The play you write about (and show in first 12 seconds of video) is an interesting example of a Cornell power play goal resulting from a combination of unacceptable Union mistakes:
                        • On zone entry, Light poke checks the puck and Foo swipes it into the far corner
                        • Light rides his man to the outside, and Foo loses his man and drifts to the near corner. Mistake #1
                        • Vecchione, because he is a right shot forward, makes the right play to feed the puck behind the net to Henry for the clear
                        • Cornell player makes a nice play, and Henry loses the puck. Mistake #2
                        • As he curls to the boards, Foo picks teammate Light, and Light can't prevent pass to slot. Mistake #3
                        • Unattended player left in slot gets open shot.

While Noah lost his battle, Spencer (and coaches) would tell you this goal is on him for losing his coverage responsibility and leaving the slot unattended. This is a good example of the sloppiness we've seen in coverage and backchecking since the holiday break.
                        Excellent Analysis ...
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Shayne Gostisbehere is in the lineup tonight for the Flyers. Game is on NESN if you live in the New England region (the Flyers are playing the Bruins).
                          Colgate '09

Comment

Ex-Union star Daniel Carr out 3 months with right knee injury: http://bit.ly/1nmMeXZ

Comment

Lots of changes tonight at Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                                Lots of changes tonight at Yale.
                                I like it !!!! New Blood !!!! Seven freshmen in the lineup. Eight if Kupsky starts. Can't do any worse than what we have been doing. Going forward, we have to bet on this freshmen class. Might as well get them ready for the tournament. I like the Litchenwald line. Averages 6'4". This could be the 4 lines that can score ... but we are going against the best goalie in College Hockey.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X