Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Talk about bucking a foul tide...lose to the #45 team in the Pairwise Friday night after another third period lead...down 1-3 Saturday to Cornell after giving up an embarrassing number of PP goals...inserting the third string goalie...but sneaking away with a tie.
    It looked like the Dutchmen were knocking on the door at year end but such has not been the case in the new year. Will the Cornell tie provide inspiration? The post game interviews all point to Joe Young's successful debut as a kickstarter. "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." Maybe the Dutchmen reclaimed that "little extra" Saturday night. Let's hope it is not short lived.

Comment

Proud of how the team buckled down when things were going bad last night. I thought this game had disaster written all over it, considering the sad game on Friday. Losing your top defenseman early and being on the PK for most of the first half of the game to a top 10 team, they could have mailed it in. Best 3rd period I've seen in a long time. Not one for moral victories, but that's the kind of effort it will take and maybe something was learned last night. Not sure if Young is the answer in goal, but with a non-league game coming up what is there to lose in finding out. RPI found Kasdorf in a similar situation. I still think this team has way too many parts that just don't fit together and the D is kinda a train wreck at times, but there is talent and determination that some nights makes up for it. For now, glad to get the point and hopefully this is a building block.
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I like our team.

Cornell does an outstanding job of screening shots on Power Plays !!!! We did a much better job of skating the puck out of the zone !!!!

Yesterday I had an opportunity to visit the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. "Class Distinctions - Dutch Painting in the Age of Rembrandt and Vermeer" (17th Century life in the Netherlands) October 11, 2015 – January 18, 2016 - Ann and Graham Gund Gallery (Gallery LG31)
        http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/class-distinctions

The first time I have ever gotten up close and personal with a Rembrandt

Decked out in my "Dutchmen" Gear, several folks asked if they could buy my Union "Dutchman" clothing articles in the local Museum shop. I told them that the offspring of the Dutch in the paintings settled Schenectady NY where my alma mater was founded in 1795. New York City was also founded by the Dutch (New Amsterdam) as well. Many more recognized the school and commented favorably on the hockey program.

The league is so competitive that you have to bring 60 minutes of intensely focused and mistake-free hockey or you are not going to win. By now everyone has scouted you and knows your weaknesses and they are going to exploit them.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I am curious to hear your take of Cornell. I have watched them on video this year, but not in person. To me, they look like traditional Cornell teams. Great forecheck, positioning, physicality, and compete level. But like most Cornell teams, they also lack high end skating and skill.

What do you make of this year's Cornell team?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            What do you make of this year's Cornell team?
            "Suffocating"
            They never seem out of position. They do look a lot like traditional Cornell teams which for me is very frightening. Years past they routinely pounded us into sand. We needed to bring stretcher bearers to Elynah. Here is a replay of the RPI game http://www.rpitv.org/productions/103...key-vs-cornell
            They outshoot RPI 44 to 16. RPI has a very good goalie, Kasdorf. So does Cornell in Gillan.
            We could not get near their goal in the first two periods as they blocked 20 shots. Cornell scores all came on power plays and our goalie never saw two of them. Size helped Cornell in the screening department.
            Two of our scores actually went off Cornell defenders to get past Gillan !!!! The last score, both Cornell defenders went after the wrong forward and flattened him and our forward Foo slipped in for a shot. We were able to skate the puck out of the zone sometimes but did a lot of dumping and chasing. I don't think we saw them at their best.

When all the dust settles, I see them with you in the top 10 pairwise.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-18-2016, 11:31 AM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              "Suffocating"
              They never seem out of position. They do look a lot like traditional Cornell teams which for me is very frightening. Years past they routinely pounded us into sand. We needed to bring stretcher bearers to Elynah. Here is a replay of the RPI game http://www.rpitv.org/productions/103...key-vs-cornell
              They outshoot RPI 44 to 16. RPI has a very good goalie, Kasdorf. So does Cornell in Gillan.
              We could not get near their goal in the first two periods as they blocked 20 shots. Cornell scores all came on power plays and our goalie never saw two of them. Size helped Cornell in the screening department.
              Two of our scores actually went off Cornell defenders to get past Gillan !!!! The last score, both Cornell defenders went after the wrong forward and flattened him and our forward Foo slipped in for a shot. We were able to skate the puck out of the zone sometimes but did a lot of dumping and chasing. I don't think we saw them at their best.

When all the dust settles, I see them with you in the top 10 pairwise.
              I'll add that - while he's good - Gillam doesn't seem to have that "fear factor" (a friend of mine used that term). In other words, you don't consider him like what LeNeveu or Scrivens was (a brick wall) and you get the feeling that you can score on him. Both Vidmar's and Foo's goals somehow slipped through Gillam into the net, seemingly ones that an elite goalie would stop in his sleep. Otherwise, he looked solid and confident out there. With the suffocating defense Cornell has, Gillam's numbers will look good, but I don't get the feeling that he'll steal many wins, like Kasdorf did on Friday.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Great Article
                Very revealing how much $ is involved in TV.

http://www.citypages.com/news/what-h...rogram-7960026

"Character is huge," he says. "A team with no talent and character still goes farther than a team with all talent and no character."
                That thesis was on display in 2014, when Union College pulled off hockey's greatest upset since the Miracle on Ice.
                The Gophers were making their 12th appearance in an NCAA title game. On that evening in Philadelphia, Minnesota was stocked with 14 NHL draft picks. Union consisted of afterthoughts.
                But they would humble the Gophers, firing 50 shots and winning 7-4. It was a testament to the old-school clichés: that grit, hustle, and discipline are the coin of the realm in this game.
                The loss gnaws to this day, but its lesson resonates more than ever.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 01-20-2016, 02:42 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Tremendous article tx.
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Great Article
                    Very revealing how much $ is involved in TV.

"Character is huge," he says. "A team with no talent and character still goes farther than a team with all talent and no character."
                    That thesis was on display in 2014, when Union College pulled off hockey's greatest upset since the Miracle on Ice.
                    The Gophers were making their 12th appearance in an NCAA title game. On that evening in Philadelphia, Minnesota was stocked with 14 NHL draft picks. Union consisted of afterthoughts.
                    But they would humble the Gophers, firing 50 shots and winning 7-4. It was a testament to the old-school clichés: that grit, hustle, and discipline are the coin of the realm in this game.
                    The loss gnaws to this day, but its lesson resonates more than ever.
                    Agreed - good article that points out how a team full of "team players" is usually more successful than a team full of exceptionally-talented players.

I just take issue with the line about how this was the greatest upset since the Miracle on Ice. Yes, I'm biased, but Union was a top-tier team all season and a #1 regional seed going into the tournament (#3 overall, I believe). Saying that it was a monumental upset is short-sighted. The writer didn't do his homework.
                    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Looks like we are going to have more than 8,000 for the Mayors Cup. I thought that it would be a money maker for both schools but then realized that the average ticket is probably only about $10.00. I wonder what the take is for the schools? The Times Union Center probably makes some on concessions.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA HOCKEY PROGRAM?
                        BY CORY ZUROWSKIWEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2016 | 8 DAYS AGO

"There's been a commercialization that's taken it out of strictly being a college program," says Sarner. "It's no longer about the students or the student athletes. Money has become the driving force."

As a result, alumni see cash-first administrators with no reverence toward the rich hockey tradition — or any comprehension of its systematic decay.

The state's flagship school dines at the Big Ten trough through football and men's hoops. This year, Minnesota is projected to pocket about $35 million in TV cash. But this meant that Minnesota was also required to join a new Big Ten hockey league, bidding farewell to longstanding rivalries. Seven o'clock puck drops in Grand Forks and Duluth were swapped for yawners with Penn State and Ohio State.

This article brings us back to reality. IMO, for Minnesota its never been about 18 year olds playing against 25 year olds. IMO, its always been about the money.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

So many ups and downs this season...
                          It looks like a few players recruited 3-4 years ago (Juniors/seniors) never found their mojo/place in the team; production on the ice is spotty at best, effort is all or nothing... Some stand out obviously, but not the majority. I don't see lines "clicking" consistently... Is it because of the coaching change? Newer players seemed to have fit in better (as much as a freshman can...) and have not hit that problem as much it seems. Let's hope for a positive ending to the season, get the freshmen and the sophomores on the ice, and see what happens. Season can't get that much worse
                          Let's go Union !
                          ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                          ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                          NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Daniel Carr recalled by the Canadiens.

Comment

For Union to move back into the fast lane, the Dutchmen must knock off RPI for starters. The season has left the faithful scratching their collective head as the team uncharacteristically has been giving up leads in the third period along with a PK which seems suddenly feckless. Granted, the Cornell rally flies in the face of this comment. Perhaps that game will prove pivotal.

Comment

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA HOCKEY PROGRAM?
                                BY CORY ZUROWSKIWEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2016 | 8 DAYS AGO

"There's been a commercialization that's taken it out of strictly being a college program," says Sarner. "It's no longer about the students or the student athletes. Money has become the driving force."

As a result, alumni see cash-first administrators with no reverence toward the rich hockey tradition — or any comprehension of its systematic decay.

The state's flagship school dines at the Big Ten trough through football and men's hoops. This year, Minnesota is projected to pocket about $35 million in TV cash. But this meant that Minnesota was also required to join a new Big Ten hockey league, bidding farewell to longstanding rivalries. Seven o'clock puck drops in Grand Forks and Duluth were swapped for yawners with Penn State and Ohio State.

This article brings us back to reality. IMO, for Minnesota its never been about 18 year olds playing against 25 year olds. IMO, its always been about the money.
                                LOL.. this mostly shows the hysterically high passions for Gopher hockey, where anything less than a national championship is unacceptable. Over the last 4 seasons, Minnesota has finished 1st in their league and made NCAAs each season, won a league title, and made it to two F4's. I can pretty confidently say that there about 55 other programs in D-1 that would love to have those problems. Only in Gopherland is this considered an epic disaster with alumni shouting for the coaches head. And I love the anonymous "NHL scouts" that claim Lucia doesn't develop players and are "guiding" prospects to go to other schools. The article does do a good job of explaining the changing recruiting environment in D-1 and that it has created more parity. Though of course nobody is forcing the big schools to recruit 14-15 year olds or to not recruit "older" players. I won't even get into the implication that it was somehow better (and fairer) when the big programs would beat everyone outside the top 10 by 7-8 goals. But this is all a reminder that D-1 hockey does have bigtime programs with very high expectations and big money around them, not unlike Alabama football or Kentucky basketball. Makes what Union did 2 seasons ago even more remarkable..
                                Last edited by ADK11; 01-22-2016, 06:12 PM.
                                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X