Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Whither Union? After putting some impressive points on the board just prior to the break, the Dutchmen skate to a stinker at Q and a fortunate tie at Princeton. With Cornell looming as another stern test this weekend, not to mention a frustrated Colgate club, the clock is ticking in anticipation of some big wins. If those wins do not begin to materialize quickly, the Dutchmen look to being consigned to also ran status. Should they reignite, the Union faithful can begin to lift their glasses again. The championship season has left those faithful with great expectations for at least contender status on a regular basis. Unfortunately the margin for error is so tiny in DI hockey. The intangibles and the tangibles have to mix perfectly, a very tall order.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      Whither Union?
      I had low expectations this year, given the fact that we were one of two ECAC teams that did not have a starting Goalie returning. The other was Harvard. I also had low expectations because we were losing 35% of our scoring and it was the GWG side of scoring. We were also starting lots of freshmen and only had two starting seniors. I started getting excited again when we beat BU. How great is it that a program like that comes to Schenectady !!!

My hopes were dashed when we gave up the tie to Michigan. I had never seen a Dutchman team collapse so fast and give up such a big lead. By the way, how great that a program like Michigan came to our barn. Since then we have won some and lost some but our wins are just barely wins. We are not dominating anyone.

As the BU Coach said, Union can beat anyone. I saw the first Merrimack game. We were perfect. That was 60 minutes of effort. Merrimack was a perfect game against a ranked opponent.

As ADK11 noted, we have transitioned to an offensive minded team and I sometimes cringe when I see Henry & Gingras miss-queues. We can't seem to resurrect that reputation for a gritty defense, a workmanlike disposition and being tough to play against. However, I can still see it in seniors Wilkins and DePauli and Cruise.

If we can come up with another top notch recruiting class ... next year might be our year. In the interim, it would be great to shake things up come tournament time.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Which current Dutchmen could be candidates for ‪‎Union‬'s 100 career points club?

http://bit.ly/1l3tkUC

Comment

The Curseeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oops that's at Starr. Sorry, been a tough year.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Sorry, been a tough year.
            sshablak: Let us think about happier times. I was at Lake Placid (2013-2014) when you beat Q in the semifinals. That was a great hockey game !!! You lost in the first round of the NCAA's to Ferris State after having beaten them twice during the regular season.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              The Curseeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Oops that's at Starr. Sorry, been a tough year.
              Ok Shabby, I'm sure its just coincidence that Union is slated to be the last regular season game at Starr . I guess in many ways it is fitting - Union can see off the dreaded Starr with pomp & ceremony, and of course Gate can send the fans home happy with one more "Curse" win.. hopefully the two teams are fighting for something other than the basement of ECAC.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

We have two tough games this weekend and you can forget about their records. Both Cornell and Colgate have a lot of pride, excellent coaching, long memories and size (Cornell) and speed (Colgate).
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Didn't see this coming, but Montreal sent Carr back to the AHL.

Comment

Time to see what we are made of .... reach way down. Time to heed the words of Clint Eastwood.
                    https://youtu.be/yid-CW-O9Qw
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Looks like forwards Roy (6'4") and Dufour (6'3") are in and Cruice is becoming a regular on that 4th line. Gingras is out and Cambell is in. Seniors and Size. Can Brassard score his first goal? Can we get some scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines?
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-15-2016, 04:57 PM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                        Whither Union?
                        Looks that way.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Optimism is becoming elusive...tie Princeton and lose to Colgate, two theoretical wins. The turnaround has stalled. Cornell will be mad after losing to RPI, whose number Union has had in recent years until now, a galling reality. Giving up leads is tough to digest. Special teams look iffy. A win tonight would be some atonement. The USCHO writer picked the Dutchmen. Hope he's right.

Comment

Kupsky in goal tonight vs Cornell. Also, Ammirato in for Walker up front.

Comment

Add that to the list of major penalties that Cornell has benefited from this season.

Comment

A recap of Union's 3-3 tie with Cornell on Saturday, plus all the postgame audio: http://bit.ly/1Oyi8Ys

If there's such a thing as a good tie, this was it. Union didn't look like it had a prayer, and then the Dutchmen score twice in 62 seconds to force the eventual tie. It was a much-needed point after a tough loss to Colgate on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X