Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Carr and Ghost combined for 4 pts in tonight's Habs-Flyers game: http://bit.ly/1Oz6YX1

Comment

Any word on the starting lineups?
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not to worry. Burn the game film. Shake it off. Next time we will be ready. Be ready for tomorrow. With two days rest we were never going to "waken the world" with our play. Can we salvage points against Princeton?
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-07-2016, 10:53 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Hate to say it, but that was pretty much what I expected.. and it had nothing to do with the shorter turnaround from the weekend. This is not pro football and 3 days in between is plenty of "rest" time for college age hockey players. The problem is that when you play a team of Quinnipiac's caliber you can't make 5-10 egregious defensive mistakes, you have to play with physical intensity the whole game, and you have to bury the chances you get. This team is learning and making strides, but still a long way to go. Hopefully they can play better at home in the rematch and give a better showing, but the Bobcats are an elite team and are the real deal. Not much turnaround time for what is a big game with the Tigers. Hope they still have something in the tank.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the league suspends Cruice for this hit late in the 3rd:

Comment

I am always amazed at the correlation between a team blocking shots and a winning record. It's not perfect but it tells you a lot. What Q and RMU and RPI have in common is a willingness to block shots. Looking over college hockey and looking at the top 112 players based on a number of blocked shots, we (UNION) have exactly ZERO. The list is full of players from Q and RMU and RPI and others top hockey programs. Not a single player from Union. Q had 17 against us.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Way too much skill at QU for us to have a chance. Every chance they got was dangerous and made it to the goalie. We got shots on goal but nothing too dangerous.
                And as usual, and I've been saying this for quite some time now, we cannot play against teams that defend high. We have no strategy (skill?) to get past the blue line or close to the net. Even on that 2 minutes 5 on 3 : we did nothing. Not one clean look at the net. Why? QU played us high, right up in our faces, forcing longer and more difficult passes that slow down the play. And giving them a huge advantage if they can intercept a pass... Now I've seen a shorty on a 5 on 3, there is a first for everything
                Let's go Union !
                ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

The shadow of Sisyphus loomed over the Dutchmen. A game that was telling leaves the Union faithful wondering after the team's seeming resurgence. The Princeton club of recent years is no longer. Tonight's game is an important opportunity to reassert against a vastly improved outfit.

Comment

Dutchman: Blocked shot numbers are highly dependent upon the scorekeeper, and Union's home scorekeeper consistently comes up with low numbers. I've found it surprising how great the variability can be amongst scorekeepers. Agree with your opinion about blocked shots - though there's much more to it: blocked shots don't tell the story about quality of shots, shots not taken because of tight defense, effectively boxing out net front etc. Ex.: Physically smaller teams often have more blocks because they can't clear the net front etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      I am always amazed at the correlation between a team blocking shots and a winning record. It's not perfect but it tells you a lot. What Q and RMU and RPI have in common is a willingness to block shots. Looking over college hockey and looking at the top 112 players based on a number of blocked shots, we (UNION) have exactly ZERO. The list is full of players from Q and RMU and RPI and others top hockey programs. Not a single player from Union. Q had 17 against us.
                      This is definitely an indicator of where the team is at. Story in the New Haven Register on last night's game called it an "easy game" for Quinnipiac and is hard to argue with that. My biggest critique of the team over the past 2 seasons is that they are no longer difficult to play against. That was the hallmark of Leaman teams and was mostly the MO during Bennett's first three seasons. Things like blocking shots, clogging passing lanes, winning puck battles and owning the areas in front of the nets meant that opposing teams could not do what they wanted to do and dictate play. Even if U was outmatched talent-wise and couldn't really dictate play, they were tough to play against. As U's talent went up and they got better on special teams, the results took a huge jump and U was able to dictate play more.

Ironically, I think the problem started during the NC season. The coaches correctly saw that there was a ton of skating & puck handling ability on the team and that they could dictate a fast paced, puck possession style that obviously produced terrific results. But they kinda got away from the tougher, hard edged defensive style and haven't been able to get that genie back in the bottle now that the talent level isn't as high. The d-men are mostly undersized and not very physical, and while a couple are good skaters/puck handlers none are even close to the Bodie/Ghost class. The youth on the blueline and erratic play from Henry & Gingras have led to bad decisions and turnovers. The forwards have to go back further to get the puck out of the zone and can't get speed through the neutral zone, which is part of the problem against teams that "defend high" as UFan calls it. U has had some success using their speed to disrupt teams that aren't as physical, but have had big problems against bigger defensively disciplined teams. Quinnipiac brings skill, physicality and defensive discipline to the table and was too much for U last night. Princeton has size, is playing with some confidence, and likes to drive net - not a real good matchup. I'm hoping the team will eventually click into a more disciplined defensive mode at some point, like they did at the very end of last season, but am not sure they will.
                      Last edited by ADK11; 01-08-2016, 08:27 PM.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Jake Kupsky starting in goal tonight - Schott
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Complete lines for tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                            Way too much skill at QU for us to have a chance.
                            I am not sure. Great skill yes, but I saw some of the BU vs Q game and as best as I could tell, BU totally dominated (4-1) and this was at High Point and this was hyped. Q's man to man coverage could not keep up with the speed of BU. (We don't seem to have the speed to skate it out of the zone like BU). Q was 0-5 on the man-up. Q focusses on conference wins the same way we focus on non-conference wins. I am not sure I know why. I was listening to the Q announcers and one said that we should stop trying to be fancy in our passing and just blast away from the blue line or dump and chase. He also felt we won period 2 but got nothing and gave up a shorty.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-09-2016, 07:24 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I have not seen Mark Dufour or Cole Maier in a while. Is either of them hurt?
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                I have not seen Mark Dufour or Cole Maier in a while. Is either of them hurt?
                                I'm not sure about Dufour, but Maier has battled a lower-body injury.

Comment

Working...
                                X