PDA

View Full Version : Union College: 2015-2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Pappy89
01-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Brown is big and physical. If you can get the game more up tempo, you will win. Union can play physical and win that way as well, but it will look look like NYR-PHL from the late 70's. Good luck.
Ralph thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, you can probably say the same thing about us. We have been giving up almost 4 per game recently. Brown always plays us tough ... always. Even going back to our championship teams, it was always a physical battle and close, except maybe last year in Providence. They beat Providence which IMO means they can beat anyone. Of course, that is true for all the teams in the ECAC this year. Their goalie and defense were not weak when they beat us in Schenectady earlier this year. I don't expect that to change tonight.

Dutchman
01-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Same lineup as last night .... YES !!!!!

We are still going with those seven freshmen.

Vidmar
Dufour
Maier
Supinski
Walker
Cambell
Taylor (Brendan)

IMO looking at next year, right now there is a much bigger upside for us playing these 13 freshmen and sophomores, win, lose or draw. We are only losing two starters next year and if the coaches can attract another excellent class ....

UFan
01-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Finally watched the Yale game. I'm so glad he is keeping the freshmen and sophomores for Brown !!!! This is FINALLY a result of the team's performance(or lack thereof). If you're a senior or a Junior and you don't make the required effort, there are plenty of others just waiting for their chance. I'm very glad we got the win, a well deserved win !

Go Union !!!

Dutchman
01-31-2016, 06:38 AM
Only three, 2-minute penalties the last two games ...... nice work !!! Stay out of the box and win.
The underclassmen (Freshmen and Sophomores) lineup is 1-0-1
Jeff Taylor is a -9, worst on the team. His stats are 2 goals, 6 assists and 8 points. He is shooting percentage is .038. Last year he was +5, points 4-27-31 and shooting .061. Is he or has he been hurt?

UFan
02-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Watched the Brown game last night. Finally seeing some people trying ! I hope it's a trend that continues. I even saw Alex making some good stops and looking solid :)
The game could have gone either way, even if Union had a couple more really good chances than Brown. Brown also had a few very nice breakaways that could have turned the tide. The D needs to work on that a bit this week. I don't think it's speed or skill; looked like poor positioning.
I'd take another 3 points week end any time !

Go Union !

Dutchman
02-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Union’s Taylor receives ECAC hockey weekly honor
http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/unions-taylor-receives-ecac-hockey-weekly-honor/20543/
Union forward Brendan Taylor, a freshman from Nanaimo, British Columbia, has been selected as ECAC hockey’s Player of the Week.

The second freshmen to win this award .....

Dutchman
02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Latest recruit, 6'3" defenseman ... from Minnesota.
6-foot-3 and 197 pounds.

Dutchman
02-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Same lineup as last week ..... 13 freshmen and sophomores ... excellent move coach !!! Even if we lose, we win because we are getting this highly talented class ready for next year. This is also a chance for them to play together and we all get to see a Union College line that averages 6'4" :D The underclassmen are hungry, some of the upperclassmen are not.

Remember .... take the shot !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEihcQaa_g

rdf8585
02-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Postgame reaction after a 4-1 loss to Clarkson... though the bigger story is Bennett announced that defenseman Noah Henry has left the team because of an unspecified "family decision."

Bennett audio: https://t.co/tgqdihwNbT

Vecchione/Sak audio: http://bit.ly/1Pq69wv

aweise
02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Last night brought me back to the late 90s and early 2000s teams....and not because it was "90s Night".

The boys did everything right, except score. Lewis was excellent, but started to give up rebounds later in the game that Union just couldn't control. Great job by him and Clarkson's defense.

Whatever These guys are doing, keep doing it. Good things will come if they keep playing like this.

Dutchman
02-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Whatever These guys are doing, keep doing it. Good things will come if they keep playing like this.
I am with you 110%. Keep it going !!! While it does not show it yet in the win/loss column, these past three games are some of the best Dutchman hockey I have seen all year !!!

GameOn
02-06-2016, 09:39 AM
We controlled play for roughly 60 minutes and have nothing to show for it. I've long stopped expecting a win each night and am happy when they're competitive. Say what you will but Sak didn't give us a chance to win. 3 goals against with 20 odd shots...not even mediocre. He makes playing goal look difficult. I will say that if Kupsky hasn't stepped up yet I'm worried about our immediate future in goal.

Secondly we played a high effort game. It was frustrating that with all the shots on goal we didn't have many grade A's. Credit Clarkson's D. I know it's blasphemy but even with the penalty shot goal I feel that Vech has not developed much since last year. He's still EASILY our best player however he doesn't seem to have elevated the team around him. His goals coming into the year were to elevate his game to the level of Vesey at Harvard but I'm afraid I haven't seen it yet.

At this point outside of Vech we don't have a consistent offensive threat. No one that can create and be counted on to generate offense night in and night out. Let's be happy with the development and hope this coaching staff can continue to squeeze as much out of this squad as they can for future years.

To rebuild this team into a champion we need 4-5 outstanding talents and about 15 guys that hate losing more than anything. Let's hope this freshman group and the next can begin to fill in and lay the foundation for a resurgence.

Go U

Vaportrail
02-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Sorry to learn of Noah Henry's departure.

Wish Union had a beat writer in Ken Schott's position who was closer to the team - turns out the Henry news is not new. Ken's probably a nice guy, but his questions (ex. "How important was your goal in that 1-0 game?") coupled with his lack of hockey knowledge, appears to result in the program disregarding him. He either gets information late or wrong too often. While he's been at it for decades, I'm convinced a 10-year-old could learn more about the game in a few sittings than Ken will ever know.

Dutchman
02-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Wish Union had a beat writer in Ken Schott's position who was closer to the team.

Ken Schott is a complete AS*HOLE.

vicb
02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Ken Schott is a complete AS*HOLE.

Amen

UnionFan
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
We controlled play for roughly 60 minutes and have nothing to show for it. I've long stopped expecting a win each night and am happy when they're competitive. Say what you will but Sak didn't give us a chance to win. 3 goals against with 20 odd shots...not even mediocre. He makes playing goal look difficult. I will say that if Kupsky hasn't stepped up yet I'm worried about our immediate future in goal.
Go U

What about Joe Young? - I thought that he earned another shot after his shift against Cornell but we haven't seen him aside from Bennett playing with the Mayor's Cup lineup sheet.

GameOn
02-06-2016, 02:02 PM
At the end of the day I'm all for either Young or Kupsky taking the reins. The biggest concern I have is that Sak is our best option. This year will be all about small gains and developing players. Not sure playing Sak right now is the best way to prepare for the future seeing as how we have no other goalie recruits at this time.

Ralph Baer
02-06-2016, 09:39 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Proud to announce my commitment to attend Union College 17/18~Thank you to the many great individuals who have helped along the way#Dutchmen</p>&mdash; Zachary Emelifeonwu (@Zache8) <a href="https://twitter.com/Zache8/status/696098127925874688">February 6, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dutchman
02-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Very pleased with what I saw:
IMO:
- Overcame adversity - first two shots by St. Lawrence were goals.
- Overcame adversity - 5 on 3's.
- Fourth straight game of playing 60 minutes of hockey !!!! never quit
- The Saints are very skilled and very fast with a great "D" and goalie and we played them even.
- Freshmen B. Taylor, Maier, Walker, Cambell, Dufour, Supinski winning 1 on 1 battles
- Leadership steps up - 6 of 9 points came from "As" and "Cs"

We keep playing like this and very good things will start to happen !!! In the last 4 games, this is a different Dutchmen team.

P.S. - DeSimone needs to be flogged for that second penalty.;)
P.S. - We are leading all of College Hockey with games ending in a tie. We are third in all-time ECAC. The ECAC record is 11 set by Harvard back in 2011.

Miami Ice
02-08-2016, 08:34 AM
It looks like Union's season is becoming a metaphor for the student who is behind in his studies and must cram for his finals (ECAC Tournament). It's a tough way to do business. Sometimes it works...sometimes not.