Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Dutchmen connections abound in upcoming Frozen Four semi between Providence and UNO → http://bitly.com/1HfdYSz

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
      Tentatively coming in:

G Joe Young
      G Jake Kupsky

F Brendan Taylor
      F Cole Maier
      F Brett Supinski
      F Sebastian Vidmar
      F Mark Dufour

D Greg Campbell

Those 8 look to replace the 7 seniors and Shier.
      I think Maier and Supinski will be studs, only read good things about Joe Young as well. Jake Kupsky, a Wisconsin native, is 6'5'' 210 lbs and put up impressive stats. Alex will have to work very hard over the offseason because we have two talented freshman coming in. Goalie will be an interesting position battle next year.

"Kupsky walks into a winning program that has a history of developing Midwest goaltenders and getting them to the NHL. Troy Grosenick from Brookfield, Wisconsin had 39 career collegiate wins and a .925 save percentage as a Dutchmen. He won his first NHL game with the San Jose Sharks this year. Also, former Union hockey star and NAHL goalie Keith Kincaid plays for the New Jersey Devils organization."
      http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=12894
      Last edited by UnionFan4Life; 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM.
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Tentatively coming in:

G Joe Young
        G Jake Kupsky

F Brendan Taylor
        F Cole Maier
        F Brett Supinski
        F Sebastian Vidmar
        F Mark Dufour

D Greg Campbell

My 2-cents on the recruits:
        - Vidmar was leading scorer in the NAHL and is built like a tank - very much a power forward but a nice set of hands and good skill set. His team had 3-4 other players from Sweden and they very much seemed on the same wave length, so would expect could have a transition to the college game. NAHL is also not particularly known for forwards.
        - Maier is slightly smaller than Vidmar and has similarities to Scarfo. He had a good year in the BCHL at slightly more than a point a game, though would say he's not quite where Scarfo was his last season in BC. He will need to bring more intensity and physicality, but could have a nice high end. Looks pretty good at faceoffs too.
        - Supinski was 2nd leading scorer in BCHL and reminds me a bit of Wayne Simpson when he was a freshmen. Has a nice overall skill set but doesn't light it up in any one aspect. Always in the right spot, quick to the puck and finds a way to get open for shots. Is average size not real big and is not clear how well his game will translate in the more physical college game, but he made the jump from NE Prep to BC with no problem.
        - Taylor had numbers in BC similar to Maier (they were teammates BTW) and looks like a real good all around player. Team captain and seems to raise his game when the going gets toughest. He may end up more of an energy player at U but could crack top 6 eventually.
        - Dufour's numbers in USPHL (formerly the EJHL) were not that great, but he is good size and reportedly some speed, so likely a potential 4th liner/role player.
        - Campbell was a good offensive d-man in the OJHL and is pretty poised with the puck. Not real big for a d-man, but should be able to hold his own defensively. Reminds me a bit of Brock Matheson though may have more offensive potential.
        - The two goalies really don't have eye popping numbers. Both are big and Kupsky is huge at like 6-5. Young had the 5th best save percent in USPHL but was not real consistent. Kupsky barely had a 91 save percent in NAHL, which tells me he may not be the most athletic kid.

Overall, I'm hoping that a couple of the forwards can help right away and make an impact on the top 3 lines. If they do, then with Vecks, Wilkins, Scarfo, Foo & Pontarelli there could be the basis for 3 lines that could score on any given night - a definite weakness on this past season's team. On the blueline, I would expect Campbell to get a good shot at finding a spot as 5th or 6th defenseman. In goal, my take is that Young may challenge Alex a bit for playing time but that Kupsky is probably 3rd string.
        Last edited by ADK11; 03-31-2015, 07:49 AM.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Lord, when will you people stop with the Sak narrative? He was a late desperation recruit and has looked like it ever since he arrived. He's not athletic, very unaware, and lacks poise. Generally good? What? He was 6 points under .900. Let's all stop that. If one of the freshman aren't any good, we're in big trouble in goal.

Freshman class leaves me unexcited, again.

Vidmar may be fine, but shot at an unsustainable rate in the NAHL and played well above his head from a points perspective.

Supinski looks like a guy who just gets it done, but as ADK11 stated, no aspect of his game really stands out. But the points are there, so whatever he's doing, its working.

Taylor and Maier are tough to get a read on. Both look like they could be solid top 9 players, but I don't expect major contributions from either as a freshman.

Dufour. Man, the hype on this guy when we got him. He's been a dud in the USPHL, so, uh, yea. Don't expect much.

Campbell is an unknown. I haven't seen him play at all, but he has good numbers, is reported pretty intelligent.

The goalies..........are large. That's about all anyone can say about them at this point. Neither one is a top goalie in their respective weak leagues.

Recruiting is a huge issue. We should have been raking in talent after the National Title, but instead, we have really struggled. Last year's class was Scarfo, Foo, Brassard, and a bunch of filler. We'll see if this year is the same, but it's not looking like the most exciting class ever. We lost Kevin O'Neil, a local kid from Albany Academy, to Yale today. That's pretty sad. Lost another prep school kid to Princeton last week, where hockey careers go to die. I don't know why we were so afraid of losing Dumais as we were last season. In my view, he (and Tapp) have been a massive disappointment in terms of recruiting. I don't know who's fault it is, but for a team with so much national success in the last 5 years, we haven't done a good job restocking the cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
            We should have been raking in talent after the National Title, but instead, we have really struggled.
            I will say I was surprised the national title didn't have much of an immediate effect on recruiting.... Union won the national title last April, but didn't pick up any commitments until November, seven months later. I thought with all the buzz around a national title, there would have been a few commitments last spring/summer. That's just me though.

There was at least one guy in that stretch that Union lost out on, defenseman Brandon Fortunato, who ended up going to BU in May. He would have been a really nice get.

Comment

Dufour has been inured
              healthy now and finished year very strong

Comment

NAHL College Commitments
                http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/

NCAA Coaches comment on NAHL Character
                https://vimeo.com/96645543

Looks like St. Cloud, North Dakota, Cornell, Harvard, Q, Brown, Minnesota (M), Michigan Tech, Yale, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Omaha, Maine, and others have recruits from the NAHL. Not a lot of HE schools. If character matters this looks like the league you want to recruit from. Can we develope Kupsky (6'5") into the next Ken Dryden by his junior year? Looks like Vidmar and Kupsky played together.

Our path has been to find "diamonds in the rough" i.e. a person with great potential and players overlooked by other scouts/teams (remember Vech) and develop them into Champs. Got to stick to what we do best. Its a very "tough road to hoe" to be successful the way we do it, but given our size, athletic budget, recruiting budget, academic admission requirements, constraints by being mostly a D-III school, facilities, etc. it may be the only way we can do it. I am sure our success these past 4-5 years has made it easier to recruit both players and students but we were starting back at the name recognition level. No more "Union who?"

RIT, another upstate New York, "Liberty League", D-III in all other sports team almost made it to the FF. During the season they almost beat Minnesota.

I see another .500 year next year ..... a rebuilding year. A development year. I think replacing Champ and Novak will be harder than we think.

Next year no more "defending national champs" - just Dutchmen.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Jim: I think both the WCHA and ECAC Hockey, in general, disappointed. The WCHA got two of the top eight seeds in the tournament (including Minnesota State’s No. 1 overall seed) and didn’t win a game. Michigan Tech couldn’t finish off St. Cloud State and, as you mentioned, Minnesota State lost to RIT.

The ECAC got three teams into the field and didn’t win a single game. Quinnipiac was outclassed by North Dakota (a tough draw, admittedly); Harvard couldn’t solve Omaha; and Yale, the most impressive of the trio, played BU tough but lost in OT.

Obviously, it’s easy to say now that the regionals are over that the NCHC and Hockey East were the class of the tournament thus far (NCHC was 7-4; Hockey East was 4-1). But I really wanted to see more from either the WCHA or ECAC. That is my biggest disappointment.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2015/03/31/tmq-...#ixzz3VxUFkISu

Yep
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Jim: I think both the WCHA and ECAC Hockey, in general, disappointed. The WCHA got two of the top eight seeds in the tournament (including Minnesota State’s No. 1 overall seed) and didn’t win a game. Michigan Tech couldn’t finish off St. Cloud State and, as you mentioned, Minnesota State lost to RIT.

The ECAC got three teams into the field and didn’t win a single game. Quinnipiac was outclassed by North Dakota (a tough draw, admittedly); Harvard couldn’t solve Omaha; and Yale, the most impressive of the trio, played BU tough but lost in OT.

Obviously, it’s easy to say now that the regionals are over that the NCHC and Hockey East were the class of the tournament thus far (NCHC was 7-4; Hockey East was 4-1). But I really wanted to see more from either the WCHA or ECAC. That is my biggest disappointment.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2015/03/31/tmq-...#ixzz3VxUFkISu

Yep
                    The ECAC's three teams were all in the lower half of the bracket and thus not individually expected to win any games. OTOH with three teams the odds probably did predict that one would advance. The WCHA's losses were both upsets.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      NAHL College Commitments

Next year no more "defending national champs" - just Dutchmen.
                      That might help. The pressure should be off. Any thoughts?
                      Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        The ECAC's three teams were all in the lower half of the bracket and thus not individually expected to win any games. OTOH with three teams the odds probably did predict that one would advance. The WCHA's losses were both upsets.
                        Quinnipiac obviously didn't get any favors being placed out in Fargo yet being higher seeded than Providence. Harvard pre tournament had the best chance at a win against Omaha but it was Yale with the best showing of them all pushing BU to the limit.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          Quinnipiac obviously didn't get any favors being placed out in Fargo yet being higher seeded than Providence. Harvard pre tournament had the best chance at a win against Omaha but it was Yale with the best showing of them all pushing BU to the limit.
                          Even though they showed up late, Harvard still had a good chance to beat Omaha, but ran into an extremely hot goalie in Ryan Massa. In addition to his actual goal, I thought Vesey had scored a few other times, but Massa was an absolutle rock. I missed most of the Yale game, but it sounded like they had BU's number for about 50 minutes.
                          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

The last two years we have excelled on offense and one of the big reasons IMO was our ability to:

#1. Redirect Shots - the forward passes to the redirector even though it may look like a SOG
                            #2. Screen Shots - don't let the goalie even see the shot
                            #3. Garbage Collection - pick up the garbage and flick it high enough to it get over bodies and potted into the back of the net
                            #4. Tic, Tac, Toe - get the goalie moving back and forth
                            #5. Slap Shots - get the puck to the goal before the goalie has time to set up
                            #6. Crash the crease - get the rebound
                            #7. Short handed goals - I think we were second

We are going to miss Champ and Max
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Spencer Foo named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Month for March.

Comment

Tentatively coming in:

G Joe Young
                                G Jake Kupsky

F Brendan Taylor
                                F Cole Maier
                                F Brett Supinski
                                F Sebastian Vidmar
                                F Mark Dufour

D Greg Campbell

My April lineup prediction

Scarfo---Vecchione---Supinski
                                Wilkins---Maier---Foo
                                Cruice---Lichtenwald---Pontarelli
                                Ammirato---Vidmar---DiPauli

Taylor---Bassard
                                Gingras---DeSimone
                                Henry---Light

Alex
                                Young
                                Kupsky

Not active:
                                Roy
                                Hynes
                                Dufour
                                B. Taylor
                                Krug
                                Cambell

Captain Prediction
                                C - Vecchione
                                A - J. Taylor
                                A - Cruice
                                Last edited by UnionFan4Life; 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM.
                                Union College Hockey
                                2014 NCAA National Champions
                                2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X