No goal judges in Manchester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No goal judges in Manchester?

Currently looking a goal judge at the Providence regional. Any reason why no goal judges for the Yale BU game yesterday?
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: No goal judges in Manchester?

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Currently looking a goal judge at the Providence regional. Any reason why no goal judges for the Yale BU game yesterday?
    I *thought* most teams did away with them, given the introduction of instant replay. Added costs and such.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Probably because their job is pretty pointless now with replay.

Comment

You would think the tournament would be uniform, especially official wise
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

None out west either. Who turns in the red light behind the goal in that instance?
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

None out west either. Who turns in the red light behind the goal in that instance?
            Someone in the press box or whatever, I guess.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

None in South Bend at the MW regional. My guess is the NCAA doesn't want to pony up any more $$$ than they absolutely have to. After all that $350 they are paying each referee makes a huge dent in their bottom line. Notre Dame no longer uses them but I noticed they were there for the one 1st round game against UMass I was at. Hockey East must insist on it.

In 40 years around this sport though I cannot recall a single instance when an on-ice official consulted with a goal judge. Someday they will have completely gone the way of the caboose.

Comment

Don't remember seeing a red light at all. You can generally tell by the players' reactions and the referee anyway. Red light was kind of a fun tradition, but it's kind of anachronistic if the refs are competent. I've seen instances when the red light's gone on when the puck hit the post, and it affected play. Think it's better to leave it in the hands of the ref, who has the power to signal goals AND stop play.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  In 40 years around this sport though I cannot recall a single instance when an on-ice official consulted with a goal judge. Someday they will have completely gone the way of the caboose.
                  I have served as a goal judge at the D-3 level and D-1 club level. In the two seasons I served before our D-3 league did away with goal judges I had two conversations with referees, and I saw 2-3 more on the other end of the ice. Nothing of note on the D-1 club level. I must note that there is no instant replay at the D-3 varsity level, with the exception of the semi-finals and finals.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Any chance it could be a union rule within a certain building? I have no problem with them in or out, as I said, it should just be the same across the board.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

According to the NCAA rule book, goal judges are no longer required. There is the ability, however, to review goals.

Comment

Here's the entire part of the NCAA rules re:goal judges, from page 42 of the NCAA rule book. Bolded for my emphasis:

Rule 38 - Goal Judge
                        38.1 General Duties - The goal judge should signal the referee, by means of
                        a red light, when the puck enters the goal cage. The referee may consult
                        the goal judge to gather information. The referee shall make the final
                        decision as to whether or not the goal will be allowed. Goal judges are
                        recommended.

38.2 Location - The goal judge shall judge at the same goal cage throughout
                        the game.
                        Goal judges’ boxes should be properly isolated so that there shall be no
                        interference with the activities of the judges.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                        X