NWHL Women's Pro League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWHL Women's Pro League

And it will be an actual pro league, paying its players. This should be interesting to see unfold.

Article from The Hockey News, which includes a promo video from the NWHL.

And speaking of pro leagues....looks like one is on the horizon in Russia courtesy of the KHL.
    Last edited by Hux; 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM.

Re: NWHL Women's Pro League

Originally posted by Hux View Post
    And it will be an actual pro league, paying its players. This should be interesting to see unfold.
    Did I read that right, is Puck Daddy one of the funders, or was that simply an add on the Web page. ?

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Did I read that right, is Puck Daddy one of the funders, or was that simply an add on the Web page. ?
      Looks like it is a sidebar for the blogs.

Comment

Didn't the CWHL start with basically the same promises? While the league is slowly moving along, it is still a ways away from lofty goals like this. Who's paying for it?

A quick look at the Chelsea Piers Connecticut Arenas where one of the teams will play suggests it is no bigger than the Joan Snyder rink at Winsport (only 200 seats), so it clearly isn't 9 games worth of gate revenue that is coming up with $270K per team in salaries. Without people watching it, sponsor money isn't going to be there either. So who is the deep pocketed individual who's decided to give their money to this, but not to the CWHL?

Comment

Very positive statement from the WCHA commissioner: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1415/201503/mar26wcw.php

Comment

Boston Pride

Miller as coach?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              Boston Pride

Miller as coach?
              I doubt that the job would pay enough to even entice her to fly in for games, let alone move. My bet is the Boston Blades fold and Coach Murphy moves to the Pride.

Comment

I doubt that the job would pay enough to even entice her to fly in for games, let alone move. My bet is the Boston Blades fold and Coach Murphy moves to the Pride.
                This is great for women's hockey but there are a lot of questions still to be answered. The biggest thing people should be talking about is this: The best of the best in women's hockey is playing a game tomorrow and we can't get any coverage in the U.S. TSN is covering the game in Canada. We have a major problem with the popularity of the sport still here in the U.S. When the gold medal game was played last February, The ratings were off the charts for NBC. The popularity was hot. Same two teams going at it again in the worlds and we can't even get a computer feed. Can anyone explain that to me?
                USA WOMENS HOCKEY

Comment

Just another half hearted attempt that does not do the sport any justice.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ICEBOX View Post
                    This is great for women's hockey but there are a lot of questions still to be answered. The biggest thing people should be talking about is this: The best of the best in women's hockey is playing a game tomorrow and we can't get any coverage in the U.S. TSN is covering the game in Canada. We have a major problem with the popularity of the sport still here in the U.S. When the gold medal game was played last February, The ratings were off the charts for NBC. The popularity was hot. Same two teams going at it again in the worlds and we can't even get a computer feed. Can anyone explain that to me?
                    FWIW, there is a large lunch spot in downtown Minneapolis that has a huge TV people can watch as they eat lunch, it was not tuned to the Canada-US game, nor could I find any TV on at lunchtime tuned to the game. State of Hockey my azz

Comment

FWIW, there is a large lunch spot in downtown Minneapolis that has a huge TV people can watch as they eat lunch, it was not tuned to the Canada-US game, nor could I find any TV on at lunchtime tuned to the game. State of Hockey my azz
                      Why didn't you ask them to turn it on?

Often what they are tuned to is not the result of a customer's request and they will gladly change it if asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                        Why didn't you ask them to turn it on?

Often what they are tuned to is not the result of a customer's request and they will gladly change it if asked.
                        True. A group of us were at a sports bar in Manchester, NH in '09 and we asked if they would turnn on the US-Canada game. They put it on two screens at the end of the bar and by the end of the game they had half the screens in the placed tuned in.
                        Last edited by Hux; 03-28-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

True. A group of us were at a sports bar in Manchester, NH in '09 and we asked if they would turnn on the US-Canada game. They put it on two screens at the end of the bar and by the end of the game they had half the screens I the placed tuned in.
                          The popularity of women's hockey in the Olympics is remarkable. The gold medal game got better ratings than the Stanley Cup.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Does it get TSN? If not, there's nothing they could tune it to that would show the game, so it's not entirely their fault.

Comment

State of Hockey my azz
                              Well you can always move to Canada. On second thought.....ahh neva mind.....

Comment

Working...
                              X