Olympics, Team Sports???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics, Team Sports???

Team sports in the Olympics makes NO sense!! First, the best players? No doubt they are great but the best? How is that determined and by whom? Fact is there's no money in women's hockey, not like men's!* So, if you have an angle or name that draws crowds and are great you are in. But the best? Maybe one of the best. Unlike Swimming, archery, running and so on everybody knows, can see, there's data, numbers! How is it that you can have a list of Kaz and not all of them realistically considered for the team?, let alone the absolute ridiculousness of keeping players there for multiple years with out disclosure?
    I'm not saying that any of the past players aren't worthy but, if you think that the current admistrations claim of transparency is a joke, they have nothing on USA Hockey. I feel bad for the future generations of hopefuls as its a bit of a scam and no one will talk about it.
    I can a little, as I have played at almost every level and have observed the hypocrisy and amazement.
    Last edited by Shotblocker; 03-25-2015, 08:00 PM.

Re: Olympics, Team Sports???

Originally posted by Shotblocker View Post
    . . . I have been played at almost every level . . .
    Of this I have no doubt.

Comment

First, the best players? No doubt they are great but the best? How is that determined and by whom?
      The last Olympic coach said she didn't want the best, she wanted the best team players (or maybe it was for her team, I'm not going to waste time looking up the exact quote, we all know how that worked out for her.).
      What a slap in the face to those she passed over.
      You are a talented hockey player, but are lacking in the skills required to play well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
        of this i have no doubt.
        :d
        Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          Of this I have no doubt.
          This

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
            Of this I have no doubt.
            And in an attempt to be fair y'all know what was meant...But it still came out quite funny.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              And in an attempt to be fair y'all know what was meant...
              Actually, no.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Actually, no.
                This from shotblocker..."I can a little, as I have been played at almost every level and have observed the hypocrisy and amazement"

which was quoted by Eeyore originally and commented on by him. From that you don't know what was meant?
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  This from shotblocker..."I can a little, as I have been played at almost every level and have observed the hypocrisy and amazement"

which was quoted by Eeyore originally and commented on by him. From that you don't know what was meant?
                  Yeah I got that but I was referring to the entirety of the original post, which didn't make much sense.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Team sports in the Olympics makes NO sense!! First, the best players? No doubt they are great but the best? How is that determined and by whom? Fact is there's no money in women's hockey, not like men's!* So, if you have an angle or name that draws crowds and are great you are in. But the best? Maybe one of the best. Unlike Swimming, archery, running and so on everybody knows, can see, there's data, numbers! How is it that you can have a list of Kaz and not all of them realistically considered for the team?, let alone the absolute ridiculousness of keeping players there for multiple years with out disclosure?
                    I'm not saying that any of the past players aren't worthy but, if you think that the current admistrations claim of transparency is a joke, they have nothing on USA Hockey. I feel bad for the future generations of hopefuls as its a bit of a scam and no one will talk about it.
                    I can a little, as I have played at almost every level and have observed the hypocrisy and amazement.
                    In team sports, one is attempting to assemble the best team, which doesn't necessarily comprise the 23 best players. Trivially, for example, if you've already got three goalies you don't need a fourth, even if she's better than all of the defensemen available.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      In team sports, one is attempting to assemble the best team, which doesn't necessarily comprise the 23 best players. Trivially, for example, if you've already got three goalies you don't need a fourth, even if she's better than all of the defensemen available.

Powers &8^]
                      well it's obvious she didn't assemble the best team

to pass over the best rookie in 2012/13 and the one that eventually became the best in 2013/14 (and outscored the player she did keep by a wide margin this year)
                      and lead their team to this years NCAA championship, not to mention one was the 2nd leading scorer on the team that won in 2012/13

if you are trying to put together a winning team, it seems to me you start by picking people who have won & excelled at every level

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Yeah I got that but I was referring to the entirety of the original post, which didn't make much sense.
                        It confused me that you quoted my response which was specifically about the phrase "been played" in the poster's sentence (Which shotblocker now edited), not the whole post. But then again, I get confused easily so it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          if you are trying to put together a winning team, it seems to me you start by picking people who have won & excelled at every level
                          I suspect you have a biased rooting interest here. It should go without saying, but you can't just look at stats and records when assembling a team and assume the chemistry will follow.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I suspect you have a biased rooting interest here. It should go without saying, but you can't just look at stats and records when assembling a team and assume the chemistry will follow.

Powers &8^]
                            that is true
                            but that's not what I said
                            "someone who has won at every level" (and wasn't the goal to win?)
                            "excelled at every level" (quite different than merely accumulating impressive stats)

I may be biased, but I am not blind.

Comment

Powers &8^]
                              I agree, but that has NEVER been a part of the Olympics until recent. When I was young and played high school, it was interesting that there were teams out here in California that we played that were not governed by a distric, town or city but rather a religion! We played St John Bosco who could pull from ALL the surrounding catholic schools, they won most of the time but not always! That's how I see team sports in the olympics.

Comment

Working...
                              X