Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

Well that was a really good year! Proud of how they did and thankful for the pleasure of watching them.

I am looking forward to next year. The only new player I have heard about is Bradley Fusco who was co-captain of the Buckingham, Browne and Nichols team this past year. I have heard she has good stats but don't know the details. Familiar name to Harvard fans. Her two younger sisters also were on the BB&N varsity.

Anyone out there with any news about other new arrivals coming to Bright??

Re: Harvard Crimson - 2015-2016

I've heard that Grace Zarzicky (sp?) is a really good offensive player and taller than older sister Hannah.

Comment

I know that this is early but after watching this past weekend, I got excited about next year and throwing out there 2015/16 ECAC predictions:

1st - Clarkson - they are not losing very much and only lose 14 goals of production from their graduating Sr's. Returning Mercer/MacAuley/Bannon/Howe with Ambrose and Fast on D, Tiley in net
      2nd - Harvard - 2 very strong lines of forwards (O'Dench/Parker/Daniels/Heffernan/Laing/Mullens) 4 solid D (including Picard) and they have Maschmeyer.
      3rd - Dartmouth - Not losing too much and their top scorers are all here next year. Watch out for Allen and Stacey.
      4th - Princton - retain most of their key personnel and should make a statement next year
      5th - SLU - Lost some key Sr's including McDonald and Raniwsky
      6th - Quinny - Lost Laden, Kosta, Uden Johansson, Darkangelo
      7th - Yale - Loss of Leonoff could be costly
      8th - Cornell - Loss of Jenner/Saulnier/Fulton but always find a way to compete

Biggest Gainers - Dartmouth and Princton, Biggest drops are Cornell and Quinny.

Just thoughts and too early, but couldn't help myself. Should be on it's own thread.

Comment

Harvard fans will enjoy watching Kate Hallett starting next year. She grew up in the dominant Edina youth program and spent her high school years at St Paul United. She was a semifinalist for this year's Ms. Hockey, and is an outstanding young lady in every regard. I will follow her college career with interest and hope to watch her play in future Frozen Fours!
        Last edited by Leather helmet; 03-24-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

The Wisco de-commit from SSM Audry Warner is coming to Bright next season. Heard she is playing at NAtionals and she is healthy and scoring big.....

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
            I know that this is early but after watching this past weekend, I got excited about next year and throwing out there 2015/16 ECAC predictions:

1st - Clarkson - they are not losing very much and only lose 14 goals of production from their graduating Sr's. Returning Mercer/MacAuley/Bannon/Howe with Ambrose and Fast on D, Tiley in net
            2nd - Harvard - 2 very strong lines of forwards (O'Dench/Parker/Daniels/Heffernan/Laing/Mullens) 4 solid D (including Picard) and they have Maschmeyer.
            3rd - Dartmouth - Not losing too much and their top scorers are all here next year. Watch out for Allen and Stacey.
            4th - Princton - retain most of their key personnel and should make a statement next year
            5th - SLU - Lost some key Sr's including McDonald and Raniwsky
            6th - Quinny - Lost Laden, Kosta, Uden Johansson, Darkangelo
            7th - Yale - Loss of Leonoff could be costly
            8th - Cornell - Loss of Jenner/Saulnier/Fulton but always find a way to compete

Biggest Gainers - Dartmouth and Princton, Biggest drops are Cornell and Quinny.

Just thoughts and too early, but couldn't help myself. Should be on it's own thread.
            Never too early. I'd reverse 1st and 2nd but I'm glad you couldn't help yourself, since the sooner we figure out a way to get through the longest off-season in all of fandom the better, whatever thread you want to put it on. So not to worry. Veritas already has us Crimson fans looking forward; we just have to pay close attention to the specified years, though I hope there's still room for more celebrating/ruminating on the "old" 2014-15 thread. And btw, McAuley and Bannin aren't returning, and neither is O'Dench. I know everyone gets confused (has fun?) from time to time; I even saw Mi'ye' for Miye this week, and LS on the NCAA call even said "Drench" at one point! It's not that hard! Anyway, thanks for getting us ECACers looking forward. (We'll save the correct spelling of Mullins for later. )
            Last edited by driventoit; 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
              Never too early. I'd reverse 1st and 2nd but I'm glad you couldn't help yourself, since the sooner we figure out a way to get through the longest off-season in all of fandom the better, whatever thread you want to put it on. So not to worry. Veritas already has us Crimson fans looking forward; we just have to pay close attention to the specified years, though I hope there's still room for more celebrating/ruminating on the "old" 2014-15 thread. And btw, McAuley and Bannin aren't returning, and neither is O'Dench. I know everyone gets confused (has fun?) from time to time; I even saw Mi'ye' for Miye this week, and LS on the NCAA call even said "Drench" at one point! It's not that hard! Anyway, thanks for getting us ECACers looking forward. (We'll save the correct spelling of Mullins for later. )
              Ok, you got me on the 2 Harvard player's spelling's. But I'm pretty sure I'm close to correct on MacAul(a)y and right on Bannon.

Puks, stiks, and gowls. That's what hockey is all about. haha

I'm starting to think that hockey has gone to the mensa's!

Comment

Originally posted by clarksoncluck View Post
                Ok, you got me on the 2 Harvard player's spelling's. But I'm pretty sure I'm close to correct on MacAul(a)y and right on Bannon.

Puks, stiks, and gowls. That's what hockey is all about. haha
                I'm starting to think that hockey has gone to the mensa's!
                Just poking a little fun. You know how to spell your team members; I know how to spell mine. No mensa involved! (That's the shootyhoops crowd . . . not!) Just venting a season's worth of frustration on behalf of kids who probably couldn't care less, having seen and heard it all before. It's just that D'Oench takes the brunt of play-by-players' indifference and unintended comic variations. My response to your post looking ahead meant to be celebratory. And yes, I think H will have two fine lines, and Clarkson one very fine keeper. Next season can't come soon enough for me. (Did I mention Maschmeyer, who not only is returning but whose name will be butchered six ways to Sunday . . . or whatever the expression is.)
                Last edited by driventoit; 03-24-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
                  and LS on the NCAA call even said "Drench" at one point!
                  Now that is funny. !

Comment

Some final closing thoughts on the 2014-'15 season with a look ahead to next year:

1. Emmerance Maschmeyer came on strong in the second half of the season and through the playoffs. She was lights out against BC and Quinnipiac and did a great job tracking the puck. Given what she went through last year getting pulled from the Yale series, I'd say she made a statement about being one of the top goalies in the country. Here's hoping she puts together a stellar senior year.

2. Even though the season didn't end on a high note, you have to feel good for all the seniors especially Kalley Armstrong and Jo Pucci. They have battled through concussion issues and Pucci is actually going to be putting her injury experience to work full-time in her new job next year. I wish all of them continued success.

3. The freshmen came on as the season wore along and it was interesting to see Coach put them together for the final playoff stretch. Tells me what she thinks of their potential and their futures. All very "Bright"!

4. Several have posted about the incoming players. Bradley Fusco is indeed Scott's daughter and I have spoken to him about her. She has all the tools and hockey IQ her dad possesses which can only bode well for Harvard for the next four years.

5. Let's not forget that Dylan Crugnale who was such a key performer for the '13-'14 squad will return next year along with Dani Krzyszczyk and Nikki Friesen who had cameo appearances this season. I like Krzyszczyk's game and I think she will only improve with more ice time. Harvard will again be able to skate four lines if they so choose. The defensive depth takes a bit of a hit but Natasha Rachlin and Robin White should also see more ice time joining the returning starters and incoming freshmen.

5. And finally, kudos to Coach Stone for another terrific season. I've been critical of her tendency to shorten her bench but this season, she gave everyone playing time and I think it really helped the Crimson down the stretch. I know it has to be tough going to the gold medal game and the NCAA championship game in consecutive years and losing both but how many coaches get the chance to say they have experienced both games in consecutive years? Mark Johnson comes to mind and I'm probably forgetting someone else but that is rarified air as far as I'm concerned. Harvard is a national contender because of Katey's relentless drive to succeed and field competitive hard working teams. We as Harvard fans have been spoiled to some degree but it makes going to Bright-Landry a ton of fun.

All the best to everyone for a great spring and summer.

Comment

Seeking some relaxation after our grandchildren (3 of them under the age of 3!!!) left today, I idly turned to the schedule/results page and derived these statistics for the 2014-2015 team:

In the Beanpot and post-season ECAC and NCAA tourneys, the 2014-2015 Crimson women went 8-1, outscoring their opponents 34-14, losing to national champion Minnesota and defeating BC (twice), BU, Cornell, Quinnipiac (twice), and Yale (twice).

So let's all make a vow not to be too critical of the 2015-2016 team just because this year's team set such a high bar!

Furthermore: apropos Skate79's remark that "Harvard will again be able to skate four lines if they so choose," again we have to be realistic about how high the bar has been set: we can't expect our fourth line to outscore the entire BU team 3-2 every year. Though it would be fun....
                      Last edited by Watson Rink; 04-05-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Article on incoming defenseman Kate Hallett:

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/04/vis...-athena-award/
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Harvard to go CCM/Reebok next season.... #FittoFly #MadeofHockey @CCMHockey ??????

Comment

Crimson class of 2019: http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wice/index

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                              Seeking some relaxation after our grandchildren (3 of them under the age of 3!!!) left today, I idly turned to the schedule/results page and derived these statistics for the 2014-2015 team:

In the Beanpot and post-season ECAC and NCAA tourneys, the 2014-2015 Crimson women went 8-1, outscoring their opponents 34-14, losing to national champion Minnesota and defeating BC (twice), BU, Cornell, Quinnipiac (twice), and Yale (twice).

So let's all make a vow not to be too critical of the 2015-2016 team just because this year's team set such a high bar!

Furthermore: apropos Skate79's remark that "Harvard will again be able to skate four lines if they so choose," again we have to be realistic about how high the bar has been set: we can't expect our fourth line to outscore the entire BU team 3-2 every year. Though it would be fun....
                              It's true that the bar has been set high but if you read some of the remarks from Lyndsey Fry's senior essay, she talks about the expectations and how the upperclassmen helped her become a better player. So I would expect the same from next year's squad.

What was also interesting from Lyndsey's essay was an admission that the team may not have been on the same page early in the season. She admits it took them a while to get going.

Comment

Working...
                              X