Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A
    I think BA has underestimated the fact that whatever obvious changes Eaves does make this offseason will not equate to more butts in seats. It may just slow down the bleeding.

It's a sad deal. Growing up, UW hockey was all the state had to be proud of sportswise. The Brewers had a few good runs, but the Packers and UW football and BB were not good, just also rans at best. Now UW hockey is the goat with 3 legs.
    The bleeding will slow because their will be less blood to lose. Other than falling on his sword, their is nothing Eaves can do to fix the program. I think that fan apathy is just running too high and the required changes will take to long to save his job if the fans continue to bail on an Eaves lead program.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Something I find interesting from the statement Alvarez made in support of Eaves and Eaves' comments on the Hockey Digest was the reference to bad seasons each has experienced in the past. Their examples were from the start of new regimes, not the result of years and years of work by the coach. There is a big difference between 4 wins when you're starting something new and 4 wins a decade later. That can't really be missing that, can they?

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
        Something I find interesting from the statement Alvarez made in support of Eaves and Eaves' comments on the Hockey Digest was the reference to bad seasons each has experienced in the past. Their examples were from the start of new regimes, not the result of years and years of work by the coach. There is a big difference between 4 wins when you're starting something new and 4 wins a decade later. That can't really be missing that, can they?
        They must be so high on bb and football they aren't noticing or more likely don't care. Well at least not caring about the fans perspective. Reading that alumni have disgust on the recruiting thread makes the support even more curious.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
          I feel things like this that Barry does is more of an insult to us fans than Shuchuk saying something out of frustration.
          Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
            I feel things like this that Barry does is more of an insult to us fans than Shuchuk saying something out of frustration.
            In defense of Alvarez, he is a former coach not a lifelong administrator. If a coach doesn't believe that he can fix things next season he isn't going to get very good results. Alvarez is looking at this from a coaches point of view, not from a business point of view or considering the public relations/ fan relations impact.

I'm hoping that some of the people in the AD can convince him of the business POV and PR implications going forward, but I'm not hopeful.

At this point, Eaves hasn't has proven he can build a consistently successful program. In fact, the only three year stretch of NCAA appearances? Years 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              At this point, Eaves hasn't has proven he can build a consistently successful program. In fact, the only three year stretch of NCAA appearances? Years 2, 3, and 4.
              It's been a death by a thousand cuts. It's been apparent since about 2008 and the sporadic great year (2010) or good year (2014) doesn't change that. And neither will the next good season. Both the peaks and valleys have been consistently matriculating themselves lower. The administration's inability to mitigate this before an assistant coach went to the paper to insult fans while concurrently stoking the biggest grease fire in program history speaks rather finely to your comment re: Alvrarez' administrative acumen. These things really aren't that hard. Then again, it took that place far too long to can Lisa Stone, too.

"Our women's basketball program has not reached and maintained the level of success I believe is possible," athletic director Barry Alvarez said.
              Barry, does that mindset also apply to the men's hockey program? If not, you aren't doing your job.
              Last edited by XYZ; 03-30-2015, 04:53 AM.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                It's been a death by a thousand cuts. It's been apparent since about 2008 and the sporadic great year (2010) or good year (2014) doesn't change that. And neither will the next good season. Both the peaks and valleys have been consistently matriculating themselves lower. The administration's inability to mitigate this before an assistant coach went to the paper to insult fans while concurrently stoking the biggest grease fire in program history speaks rather finely to your comment re: Alvrarez' administrative acumen. These things really aren't that hard. Then again, it took that place far too long to can Lisa Stone, too
                I think from a fan perspective Eaves has three major strikes against him:

1.) in the years UW is down, it is offensively a disaster. It's one thing to watch a great team pull off 2-1 win against another great team, it's another to watch a team and know of the other team scores three goals you are done.

2.) to many slow starts to a season. You just dig yourself in to much of a hole to really be considered a contender on the national stage and always seem to be playing catch up in conference races and the PWR.

3.) far to many losses in OT. Fans go home with a very bad memory that sticks with them.

Comment

Stat from USCHO says that NoDak has had 7 frozen fours in 11 seasons under Hakstol. That is impressive. Hey Barry and AD's - why can't Wisconsin have that kind of success?
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    Stat from USCHO says that NoDak has had 7 frozen fours in 11 seasons under Hakstol. That is impressive. Hey Barry and AD's - why can't Wisconsin have that kind of success?
                    But 0 national championships.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Does anyone know when this talking to/meeting between Alvarez and Eaves is supposed to happen, or if it already has?
                      Go Badgers!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        You can't win if you don't get there, and the more you get there the better your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                          I figured that was coming. You have to think they will get over that hump at some point. Plus you can't win a national title without making the frozen four, so the odds are they will win one soon.

2 FF in 13 for Eaves and only 7 of 13 years did we qualify for NCAA tournament, and one of those with a losing record.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post

the more you get there the better your chances.
                            Oddly, I think MN and MI have the most appearances in the last 35 years or so yet I can think of probably 7 teams that have as many or more titles since then. Some like Lake State and DU in half or less trips. Which isn't an argument, just an observation.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
                              Does anyone know when this talking to/meeting between Alvarez and Eaves is supposed to happen, or if it already has?
                              Somehow, I just don't see this as a singular event that will be advertised. Also, I'm guessing Alvarez hasn't gone too deeply into this from LA.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                Somehow, I just don't see this as a singular event that will be advertised. Also, I'm guessing Alvarez hasn't gone too deeply into this from LA.
                                I agree with you, especially about BA being in LA.
                                Go Badgers!

Comment

Working...
                                X