Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Bittner seems like an intense fellow and an expert in D from reading the press release, just what UW needs to clean up their abhorrent play in the D zone and pk. I thought 10-12 wins was going to be the total next year just based on the influx of talent and experience, but Strand and Bittner make .500 seem like a real possibility. I'm kind of excited about next year now that MM has what seems to be a very competent staff, which we were not sure he was capable of doing. A tip of the hat to MM.
    I think you are still being a little (or a lot) hopeful. I am certainly more hopeful as well, but it doesn't take much after a 4 win season and the firing of both assistants, while the head coach who oversaw the disaster was retained. I am thinking 10 wins is a good goal. At this point, I would rather be pleasantly surprised than hopeful and have my spirit crushed again.

Still on the fence about season tickets. When a friend called w/ a Blake Geoffrion ticket for me that killed my immediate desire to renew. Thinking of focusing on the Women's team this season.
    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
    Originally posted by UWisco
    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Bittner seems like an intense fellow and an expert in D from reading the press release, just what UW needs to clean up their abhorrent play in the D zone and pk. I thought 10-12 wins was going to be the total next year just based on the influx of talent and experience, but Strand and Bittner make .500 seem like a real possibility. I'm kind of excited about next year now that MM has what seems to be a very competent staff, which we were not sure he was capable of doing. A tip of the hat to MM.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I also think anything less than 20 wins (not possible) and eaves should be fired. So on that level Eaves can only fail and it's entirely his fault, he's out the team I this position and the administration chose to retain him for reasons I will never understand.

Having said that, I think 10 wins is what to expect and here's why: freshman goalie, weak d-core (they're about 2 stud players short on d) and an anemic offense where each night they'll be suiting up no less than 4 and possibly as many as 6 guys who are not Wisconsin hockey caliber abd by that I mean 1984-1994, 2005-2006, 2009-2010 caliber, not the huge and abhorrent chunks of average to garbage in between caliber
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
        Thinking of focusing on the Women's team this season.
        You can't go wrong with the gals. We sure are spoiled with them being a perennial powerhouse. If only the band was at every game, then it would be perfect.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          I'm cautiously optimistic but I also think anything less than 20 wins (not possible) and eaves should be fired. So on that level Eaves can only fail and it's entirely his fault, he's out the team I this position and the administration chose to retain him for reasons I will never understand.

Having said that, I think 10 wins is what to expect and here's why: freshman goalie, weak d-core (they're about 2 stud players short on d) and an anemic offense where each night they'll be suiting up no less than 4 and possibly as many as 6 guys who are not Wisconsin hockey caliber abd by that I mean 1984-1994, 2005-2006, 2009-2010 caliber, not the huge and abhorrent chunks of average to garbage in between caliber
          Just curious who you rate UW caliber vs not UW caliber.

My guess...
          UW caliber??? Besse, Soleway, Hughes, Rockwood, Malone, Freytag, Kunin, Johnson
          Not???Cavalini, McGuire, Ustaski, Wagner, Ford, Shuchuck

D...UW???Wittchow, Schulz, Dougherty, Tischke....not???Davison, Linhart, Bunz

Tischke sure had quite a few McD imitations on the film I saw. He's gonna be a good one.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Only 6? Really? Given your history on this issue, Id have guessed it be much closer to 12 or 15.

To me, the bigger issue is that there are a handful players on this team that have no place on any D1 team, let alone one attempting to play Eaves system. Even if the don't play in games, they are not able to push the other players enough in practice for the top players to improve, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Just curious who you rate UW caliber vs not UW caliber.

My guess...
              UW caliber??? Besse, Soleway, Hughes, Rockwood, Malone, Freytag, Kunin, Johnson
              Not???Cavalini, McGuire, Ustaski, Wagner, Ford, Shuchuck

D...UW???Wittchow, Schulz, Dougherty, Tischke....not???Davison, Linhart, Bunz

Tischke sure had quite a few McD imitations on the film I saw. He's gonna be a good one.
              For me on Defense Wittchow and Schulze are very good. After that it's a major drop-off with the guys looking pretty pedestrian IMO.

Shuchuk, Ford, Cavallini, McGuire are the 4 I'm thinking of right off the bat on O. Beyond that I have questions on Ustaski and possibly Wagner.

The bottom line is this team isn't ready to win 15 or more games and that's if you'd throw Dany Heatley or Robbie Earl into the mix...so I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they can achieve more than 10 wins with the line-up they have

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Only 6? Really? Given your history on this issue, Id have guessed it be much closer to 12 or 15.

To me, the bigger issue is that there are a handful players on this team that have no place on any D1 team, let alone one attempting to play Eaves system. Even if the don't play in games, they are not able to push the other players enough in practice for the top players to improve, IMHO.
                It's true I don't like Eaves' system and it's stifling of creativity ( which when you think about is odd given who Mike played for in Madison) and that may have caused me to underrate players and say the whole team sucks...I don't know...

Comment

A bit off topic...

Getting ready for a garage sale and am cutting down on the number of pint glasses that I have.

I've got an extra 2006 National Champions one that I'm thinking of throwing on eBay. Thought I'd see if anyone here wants it first.

Looking for $20... believe I paid $10.

It's in perfect shape, only hand washed (never in the dishwasher).

I have two more that I'm keeping.

If I don't get a taker here or on eBay, I'll put it in the back of a cabinet. This isn't a fire sale.

It'd be easiest if the buyer was in Madison, but I'd consider shipping it although the cost would go up to $25.

Comment

Suggest you do not sell the 2006 pint glass. It represents the last milestone in the storied program. When Badger Hockey is a National power (maybe 2018 with Eaves), you may wish to sip a beer in the glass during the National Championship game. Just saying....

Sell your Hawks 2009-2010 mug instead .....

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post
                      Suggest you do not sell the 2006 pint glass. It represents the last milestone in the storied program. When Badger Hockey is a National power (maybe 2018 with Eaves), you may wish to sip a beer in the glass during the National Championship game. Just saying....

Sell your Hawks 2009-2010 mug instead .....

A few things...

I don't really drink much beer anymore.

I have 3 of these glasses, so I can still have a tall mixed drink to celebrate and enjoy our return to prominence when it inevitably happens.

I seem to be accumulating more and more Hawks swag - including pint glasses from the recent pair of titles. Not looking to downsize that anytime soon
                      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-12-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Mersch (AHL) and Rumpel (ECHL) are champions. Good for them, especially Rumpel.
                        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                        Originally posted by UWisco
                        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I think Osiecki ‏is happier here than being an Badger Assistant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHmCL4vWoAA5tzv.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
                            I think Osiecki ‏is happier here than being an Badger Assistant.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHmCL4vWoAA5tzv.jpg

Haha... without question. Good for Oz.

Btw... gonna have to get rid of another pint glass to make room for another Hawks one.

Comment

Good for the Hawks to win their third cup in six years. Now they can bow down to major cap hell. Please?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Haha... without question. Good for Oz.

Btw... gonna have to get rid of another pint glass to make room for another Hawks one.
                                Hawks have Scotty Bowman as VP. Be happy as long as you have him. He is the difference.....

Comment

Working...
                                X