Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

USHL source said JB Bittner (Tri-City assistant coach) is the favorite to get the other job. We'll see. I think they'd prefer to get a coach with more experience coaching defensemen.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Hallelujah!! We finally got one assistant coach! Now we won't hear complaining of "it's been x amount of time without a hiring what the hell is Eaves doing!?" At least I hope...

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
        Hallelujah!! We finally got one assistant coach! Now we won't hear complaining of "it's been x amount of time without a hiring what the hell is Eaves doing!?" At least I hope...
        Now he has a second coach and two forwards to get signed. Tick tick tick.....
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Chuck Andy, what college experience does Strand have? Does Bittner have any college experience?
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            Now he has a second coach and two forwards to get signed. Tick tick tick.....
            I'm impressed, it lasted for only 37 minutes. Seems someone posts this daily... Like all of us don't already know what needs to be done. Must just be a way to bash on Eaves any chance possible. It gets rather tiring hearing all the constant ****ing about him.
            Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 06-02-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Chuck Andy, what college experience does Strand have?
              I know you didn't ask me but here's what I found on Strand's coaching career:

He began his coaching career as an assistant with Division III power St. Norbert College (NCHA). During his time at St. Norbert College under Tim Coghlin the Knights won the NCHA Peters Cup and made it to the NCAA Frozen Four for the first time in team history. Luke’s coaching and recruiting contributed to what came to be the beginning of the tradition of the NCAA tournament bound Green Knights.

The Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) was the next opportunity as Assistant coach / Assistant GM for two seasons (2003-05). In the two seasons spent with the Gamblers, Strand recruited and drafted 7 NHL picks, including current NHL star Blake Wheeler. Along with the NHL picks came 26 D-I scholarship players.

After a move to Eau Claire, WI to become the Head Coach of his Alma Mater for two seasons, while also serving as the Assistant to the Athletic Director, Strand jumped to the American Hockey League (AHL) as an Assistant coach with the Houston Aeros (Minnesota Wild’s AHL Affiliate). For a pair of seasons (2007-09) he worked alongside Kevin Constantine and Troy G. Ward. Luke’s time spent in Houston would develop 12 full time NHL players and 19 total NHL players. You can see today’s NHL lineups full of players that Strand aided in developing.

Strand then returned to the USHL to serve two seasons as Head Coach and GM of the Sioux City Musketeers. Luke’s time spent in Sioux City brought them back into the playoffs after an eight-year drought while accumulating a 58-47-15 record. The USHL team recorded 29 D-I scholarship players, highly touted college free agents Dan Dekeyser and Ryan Carpenter while having 5 NHL picks, including first round selection Jordan Schmaltz.

The Calgary Flames were the next team to reach out to Luke for his services to work as an Assistant Coach with their affiliate team the Abbotsford Heat (AHL). In Strand’s tenure in Abbotsford, his team won a division title while projecting 21 players into the NHL ranks.

The 2013-2014 season brought more success and exposure for his players as Strand was the coach of the 2014 Midget U-16 AAA National Championship team. Additionally he served as the General Manager of the Sioux City Musketeers. While in Sioux City he managed the club to bench marks in wins and points while moving to the Western Division Finals.
              Bolded are things I like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                I'm impressed, it lasted for only 37 minutes. Seems someone posts this daily... Like all of us don't already know what needs to be done. Must just be a way to bash on Eaves any chance possible. It gets rather tiring hearing all the constant ****ing about him.
                Yep he should have been fired so I will continue to bash away.

Maybe just maybe he has something with strand. There is a bit of hope there.....

Comment

Yep he should have been fired so I will continue to bash away.

Maybe just maybe he has something with strand. There is a bit of hope there.....
                  Your point has been known for quite awhile and bashing away on forums isn't going to do anything other than annoy people. We all get it. Most of us, including myself, agree he should have been fired after this past season.

Strand definitely sounds better now than when he was mentioned after the big three said no. Seems to be a good recruiter and coach. He'll probably increase our likelihood of being able to sign top athletes in Wisconsin and not let them go away.

Comment

Does Bittner have any college experience?
                    Bittner played for OSU and was a forward on some pretty good teams there. Was Captain his Senior year. After bouncing around the AHL/ECHL for a few years as a player he returned to OSU as an assistant for 3 years and left when OZ was hired. Spent a couple of years coaching at South Carolina in the ECHL before moving to Tri City before the 13-14 season where he has coached D since.

Not super experienced but has been well regarded. Maybe could be considered as an "up and comer" type guy.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      USHL source said JB Bittner (Tri-City assistant coach) is the favorite to get the other job. We'll see. I think they'd prefer to get a coach with more experience coaching defensemen.
                      Baggot mentioned an assistant from the USDP is also a candidate for the 2nd job. He may be a good choice from a recruiting angle at the program with a connection to Granato, but I don't know of his other experience.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Very pleased with the Luke Strand hiring. I do think it is the best case scenario after Harbinson.

With the other assistant I'd still dearly love to see someone with Canadian connections. Eaves has some of course, but I wonder if it's enough to continue to get some quality Canadian kids in. I still don't think Wisconsin players and a couple of MN kids is enough of a base to be at the top consistently. Have to add a half dozen or more top players to that from outside.

In any case, nice to finally hear some positive news.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Things are moving quick on the other assistant job and the Caps job. I've heard both positions are filled but wasn't given permission to go public yet. I will when I can. New caps coach should raise an eyebrow or two.

Comment

Things are moving quick on the other assistant job and the Caps job. I've heard both positions are filled but wasn't given permission to go public yet. I will when I can. New caps coach should raise an eyebrow or two.
                            Mike Eaves? just kidding of course.

Comment

Since Baggot just tweeted the first portion, I guess it's safe now. JB Bittner will be the second assistant as I had speculated last night.

Comment

Since Baggot just tweeted the first portion, I guess it's safe now. JB Bittner will be the second assistant as I had speculated last night.
                                Bittner was a forward. Who is coaching the D then, Bittner? Is that normal not to have a dedicated D man teaching defense?
                                Last edited by WiscTJK; 06-03-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X