Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    one month since the listing with the state ended and no coaches yet.

I have to believe that Eaves and Barry are struggling to find someone.
    I think BA and JK overestimated how attractive these jobs were. BA's ego is massive. Remember, search committees call HIM, he doesn't call them. I also think MM's reputation as maybe being a little nutty and out of touch is also not helping, because in reality, the team will be better the next 3 years, which will buy Eaves 4 to 5 years, so any assistant will get at least 4 years of employment out of this gig. I'd bet the farm there's a 0% chance Eaves gets canned after next year. It's really a low risk job to take. That's why I think MM's reputation within the fraternity of coaches is hurting him.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I think BA and JK overestimated how attractive these jobs were. BA's ego is massive. Remember, search committees call HIM, he doesn't call them. I also think MM's reputation as maybe being a little nutty and out of touch is also not helping, because in reality, the team will be better the next 3 years, which will buy Eaves 4 to 5 years, so any assistant will get at least 4 years of employment out of this gig. I'd bet the farm there's a 0% chance Eaves gets canned after next year. It's really a low risk job to take. That's why I think MM's reputation within the fraternity of coaches is hurting him.
      Pretty well said.
      I think the comment about Eaves being out of touch is the key. It seems like the recruiting game has changed a lot recently with the twitter boom and Eaves hasn't really changed much if any. With not adapting and his reputation, we find the UW hockey team looking at back-to-back single digit win seasons. I feel each week going by with no asst coaches only makes the image look worse. We have some nice recruits coming in, but no depth to the roster. Depth/goaltending win titles.

Comment

We'll get double digit wins next year. At some point the team will kick it into gear and reel off wins. If they don't, well Eaves will be fired just like all you guys hoped for.
        Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 05-27-2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Bought 2 tix for the BGHC. Looks like it's 2/3 filled as of yesterday. I didn't get to sit where I wanted, but that's "all....my.....fault" not buying Monday @ 12:01am. I am looking forward to getting back in LaBahn, my second home in the season.

Comment

Denver already filled one vacant assistant coach job, and it opened way after UW's did. At least Luke Strand was listed in the news as having talked to Eaves last week.

I don't get the whole Oz deal. Eaves said he just couldn't wait any longer to talk to him, yet he as hired no one and as far as we know offered only Harbison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Denver already filled one vacant assistant coach job, and it opened way after UW's did. At least Luke Strand was listed in the news as having talked to Eaves last week.

I don't get the whole Oz deal. Eaves said he just couldn't wait any longer to talk to him, yet he as hired no one and as far as we know offered only Harbison.
              Something is rotten in the state of Wisconsin hockey
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I assume that was said because 1. Oz through intermediaries said he wasn't interested or 2. he was going after Harbinson.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  I assume that was said because 1. Oz through intermediaries said he wasn't interested or 2. he was going after Harbinson.
                  3. Both.

Comment

I think the context of the "waiting for Oz" issue is that Eaves was (presumably) actively reviewing applications, interviewing applicants, and pursuing other applicants while Oz was still finishing out his season.

It would make sense that Eaves would not want to put the whole process on hold until Oz was in a position that they could discuss the opening. Knowing that there were either other positions open or other positions that were likely to open at other schools, it would have been somewhat foolish for Eaves to wait until Oz's season was done.

With the amount of work that Eaves had to do (and still has to do) this summer, I 100% agree that you can't put any part of any process on hold waiting for other things to fall into place. You have to work with what is available to you at that point.

Granted most of this is moot, since there has not been a hiring yet and Oz is now done with his season...but I don't want this to be colored the wrong way in the USCHO history books. Eaves couldn't officially talk to Oz when he needed to, Eaves moved on to talk to the people that he was able to talk to...I think it is as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I think the context of the "waiting for Oz" issue is that Eaves was (presumably) actively reviewing applications, interviewing applicants, and pursuing other applicants while Oz was still finishing out his season.

It would make sense that Eaves would not want to put the whole process on hold until Oz was in a position that they could discuss the opening. Knowing that there were either other positions open or other positions that were likely to open at other schools, it would have been somewhat foolish for Eaves to wait until Oz's season was done.

With the amount of work that Eaves had to do (and still has to do) this summer, I 100% agree that you can't put any part of any process on hold waiting for other things to fall into place. You have to work with what is available to you at that point.

Granted most of this is moot, since there has not been a hiring yet and Oz is now done with his season...but I don't want this to be colored the wrong way in the USCHO history books. Eaves couldn't officially talk to Oz when he needed to, Eaves moved on to talk to the people that he was able to talk to...I think it is as simple as that.
                      This isn't very hard to figure out. As I said here three weeks ago, Osiecki had already been approached for the job and made it known that he was not interested. Since Wisconsin asked permission to speak with him officially and the Blackhawks told them to wait until the AHL playoffs were over, Eaves can't tell the media that Osiecki already turned down the job before the playoffs are already over. That's why Eaves was so awkward in his response about why he wasn't going to pursue Osiecki the day after Rockford was eliminated from the AHL playoffs.

Comment

So is Luke Strand the likely option for top assistant assuming he'd be willing?

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                          So is Luke Strand the likely option for top assistant assuming he'd be willing?
                          I have to think so.

Comment

Sounds like John Hynes will be the next New Jersey Devils head coach. I was always kind of holding out hope he'd take over in Madison some day.

Comment

Pardon me if some think I'm a dick, but why would we be interested in Luke Strand? As a head coach, I see horrible stats. I can't find stats as an assistant in the AHL, but I want somebody with a proven track record at this point.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Pardon me if some think I'm a dick, but why would we be interested in Luke Strand? As a head coach, I see horrible stats. I can't find stats as an assistant in the AHL, but I want somebody with a proven track record at this point.
                                Horrible stats? He was 27-24-9 and 31-23-6 in his two years in Sioux City as head coach. 24-25-11 as an expansion coach this season which exceeded expectations. As a GM in Sioux City last year he built the roster for the SC squad that won the West division with a 38-17-5 record this year.

He's one of the only qualified candidates that is dialed into the Team Wisconsin program and the state as a whole. He's extremely well liked in Wisconsin and in USHL circles. He'd be an outstanding recruiter and he's a very good coach. Experience at the junior, college, and pro levels.

I understand I'm biased here, but he checks about every box on the wish list at this point.
                                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 06-01-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X