Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
    Per Baggot "Badgers men's hockey: Mike Eaves to speak to Mark Osiecki about open assistant job"

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...#ixzz3ZPcvkYNU

"It remains to be seen if those amenities are enough to sway Osiecki, who sought to return to the staff in 2013 — only to see Eaves hire Walsh."

Eaves hired Walsh over bringing Osiecki back??
    I just laughed and face palmed. Oh boy, this is so bad.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

For the person who says this is a "no win" situation. Uhm...i disagree. Eaves' situation is this: Win. Do that and you're fine regardless of who the assistants are and if they decide to leave for career advancement then hire the right person to replace the assistant or assistants, put some serious thought into it like Jerry York would for eff's sake. It's really not that effing difficult. Or not as difficult as the Eaves apologists seem to indicate.

Osiecki proves that. They had a chance to re-hire and passed. Also, didn't they have a chance to bring in Don Granato early on? I seem to recall his name being floated on these boards when Troy Ward left a vacancy?

Anyway, I wish I new the CEO of Tesla, if they could build a car that could run on my rage at the UW Athletic Department and Mike Eaves the effing thing could go 500,000 w/out having to fill up!
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

How about this idea: Fire Alvarez and Eaves. What a Catastrophe . This is just awful.

Comment

When asked about Oz after Osiecki was fired, Eaves told Baggot that he (Eaves) felt Oz would seek another head coaching opportunity. Oz says now he was interested in coming back then. Whatever the case, Oz never applied for the job, which suggests to me he wasn't interested in Walsh's job, but would logically be interested as maybe an associate HC. For all anyone knows Eaves spoke to the AD about budget for hiring Oz as an associate and they said no. Or they collectively didn't want to go through the hiring procedure the State requires of posting a new position and the delay. (if that's a thing?) Or Eaves just didn't want to get into another situation like he had with Troy Ward who was constantly job hunting. (Can you really blame Eaves for that? He had just specifically said he believed Oz wanted a HC job.) As Kamigo points out, no one here thought anything different at the time. Folks can characterize it as Walsh over Oz all they want today, and how stupid Eaves was, but if Walsh and Oz aren't applying for the same job, then how is it a decision between them? Even the most pessimistic posters here approved of the job Walsh had done and didn't have a problem with his hiring on in 2013.

Hind sight is 20/20. In spring 2013 why would they even want to shake things up? They had just been on an amazing stretch run. A frequent poster here noted the team had "more heart than any team since 2006". They were loaded coming back. They had Dvorak and Besse coming in. Shuey had just signed Malone and grabbed Soleway and was about to sign Boesser (May '13, right after Walsh was hired). Everything was looking very rosy. So I don't buy the Monday morning quarterbacking at all.

Here are a few guys that did actually apply for the job 2 years ago and their current positions:

Luke Strand- GM and HC Madison Capitols

Matt Loen- UWEC HC

Maco Balkovec - Director and HC, Burnaby Winter Club

Ty Eigner- Asst. Bowling Green

Dan Boesser- HC Chicago Steel

Chris Hartsburg- HC Lincoln Stars

Also,

Shane Connelly- Cedar Rapids Rough Riders asst.

And the perfect Butters replacement: Dave "Bam Bam" Langevin - Real Estate Appraiser! (ok...and US Hockey HoF'er.)

Anybody think any of these guys are applying and/or are viable now?
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
            I think it's pretty clear that they're not reading this forum. If they had they would have put Eaves in the old village stocks in the Kohl Center commons by now, all while being surrounded by 3 angry villagers with pitchforks shouting, "BURN HIM!!!!"
            Being aware of the feelings of the fan base and doing what the fan base wants are two completely different things.

I would feel fairly confident that someone in the Athletic Department is aware of the general mood of the fans. Maybe they read this specific message board, maybe they hang out at B5Q, maybe they read the comments that are posted to Baggot's articles in the WSJ.

But you can't expect that the Athletic Department will make their judgments based on the opinions of a few vocal fans. Maybe I am in the minority and the voices of WickTJK, solovsfett, EODS, Gurtholfin et al represent the majority of fans; or maybe the above mentioned are what you will find with any group of fans; there will be some that take a position and become very vocal about it...just because they are making the most noise doesn't mean that they speak for the majority.

And sure, you can come back to me citing decreased ticket sales, increased no-shows, decreased TV ratings...and those are all valid points that there is something wrong with the program, but I don't know that you can say that those factors point to everyone wanting Eaves gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Hind sight is 20/20. In spring 2013 why would they even want to shake things up? They had just been on an amazing stretch run. A frequent poster here noted the team had "more heart than any team since 2006". They were loaded coming back. They had Dvorak and Besse coming in. Shuey had just signed Malone and grabbed Soleway and was about to sign Boesser (May '13, right after Walsh was hired). Everything was looking very rosy. So I don't buy the Monday morning quarterbacking at all.
              All fair points, although that "more heart than any team since 2006" comment was on the heels of a then-unprecedented terrible start to the year IIRC.

Still, for how things have turned out: 2 of those 5 recruits you mentioned (probably the best ones) aren't even going to set foot here. And we've seen the results of what the rest of our recent recruiting classes have brought us thus far.

Here are a few guys that did actually apply for the job 2 years ago and their current positions:

Matt Loen- UWEC HC

Also,

And the perfect Butters replacement: Dave "Bam Bam" Langevin - Real Estate Appraiser! (ok...and US Hockey HoF'er.)

Boeser would be a fun, cheeky hire at this point.

I'd say you limit your search to current D-I assistants or USHL HCs.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Matt Loen- UWEC HC

Also,

Just Strand and Loen.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  But you can't expect that the Athletic Department will make their judgments based on the opinions of a few vocal fans. Maybe I am in the minority and the voices of WickTJK, solovsfett, EODS, Gurtholfin et al represent the majority of fans; or maybe the above mentioned are what you will find with any group of fans; there will be some that take a position and become very vocal about it...just because they are making the most noise doesn't mean that they speak for the majority.
                  Perhaps not, but they're certainly more knowledgeable than the average fan that is part of this subjectively determined "majority," possibly moreso than sectors of the athletic administration itself. The department should make its judgements based on what's best for the program, and just because those believing that continuing with Eaves is not what's best for the program may be the your minority it doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong. Same as the administration isn't necessarily right for doing whatever the consensus opinion of your majority is.

Just do what's best for the program as winning (almost always) cures all, and believing Eaves needs to go for the program to attain the consistent success it should be capable of is at least as credible as any of the excuses and rationalizations that have been posted over the past six months -- and I'd suggest far more credible than this supposed majority opinion. Which is what, by the way?
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    All fair points, although that "more heart than any team since 2006" comment was on the heels of a then-unprecedented terrible start to the year IIRC.

Still, for how things have turned out: 2 of those 5 recruits you mentioned (probably the best ones) aren't even going to set foot here. And we've seen the results of what the rest of our recent recruiting classes have brought us thus far.

Boeser would be a fun, cheeky hire at this point.

I'd say you limit your search to current D-I assistants or USHL HCs.
                    Well, I could have quoted Gurt's "I'm actually optimistic" post from then, but I just assume he was hitting the rum pretty heavy when he wrote that. (I could tell because it was all spelled correctly.)

Agree on how things turned out. I assume you'd include certain current AHL assistants in the mix. Maybe Zengerle's Griffin's can send home Oz's Ice Hogs by the end of next week so Eaves can talk to Oz.
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 05-08-2015, 03:01 PM.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I've heard from multiple people Oz already said no, fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post

Can't blame him.

He's with the class of the NHL right now.

Why would he come to this **** show as an assistant?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          Who wants to work with Eaves? Who wants to walk into a possible 1 and done situation?
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Who wants to work with Eaves? Who wants to walk into a possible 1 and done situation?
                            Evidently not even an heir apparent. Or at least not this one.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by gurtholfin View Post
                              can't blame him.

He's with the class of the nhl('s ahl rejects) right now.

Why would he come to this **** show as an assistant?
                              fyp

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                fyp

Not quite.

The Hawks value Rockford and the talent it develops. Oz has a good job right now and may be hoping to advance either within the Hawks or within the NHL

Comment

Working...
                                X