PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

IndianaBadger1995
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
When you hire the person to be the associate head coach.

What's the difference between the two?

Chuck Schwartz
06-03-2015, 09:04 PM
What's the difference between the two?

Money, title, prestige

ExileOnDaytonStreet
06-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Money, title, prestige

... presumptions regarding what would happen if/when the head coach gets canned...

Chuck Schwartz
06-03-2015, 10:12 PM
... presumptions regarding what would happen if/when the head coach gets canned...

I love Luke, but if Wisconsin is bad enough where Eaves gets canned I doubt he's the first choice to take over.

Almington
06-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Bittner has D1 experience and Strand has coached at almost every level except D1, including professionals. I'm not concerned at all. Both have major USHL experience, know the recruiting landscape and are considered solid coaches.

I'm just thrilled that both were actually coaching hockey last season at a level higher than a local youth team.

The simple joys of exceedingly low expectations.

DoorCtyBadger
06-04-2015, 05:42 AM
I'm just thrilled that both were actually coaching hockey last season at a level higher than a local youth team.

Both these coached have NHL coaching experience.

Wisko McBadgerton
06-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Both these coached have NHL coaching experience.

:confused:

Bittner has coached at Ohio St., South Carolina Stingrays, and Tri City. Strand has coached at St Norbert, GB Gamblers, UWEC, Houston Aeros, Sioux City Musketeers, Abbotsford Heat, and the Caps. As far as I can tell, none of those teams are in the NHL.

goldy_331
06-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Any comments on Hamre taking over as director of Hockey Operations? http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015/6/3/8718113/wisconsin-badgers-news-john-hamre-mike-eaves-hockey

He has been my kid's pre-calc teacher this year and I've chatted with him a bit both at school and hockey rinks. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable about hockey. He wrote several articles for "Lets' Play Hockey" this past season. He coached the son of a friend in high school and my friend thinks very highly of him as a person and as a coach. I feel sorry for him having to work with Eaves, ;)but I'm glad he's gotten a job in hockey.

Gurtholfin
06-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Any comments on Hamre taking over as director of Hockey Operations? http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015/6/3/8718113/wisconsin-badgers-news-john-hamre-mike-eaves-hockey

He has been my kid's pre-calc teacher this year and I've chatted with him a bit both at school and hockey rinks. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable about hockey. He wrote several articles for "Lets' Play Hockey" this past season. He coached the son of a friend in high school and my friend thinks very highly of him as a person and as a coach. I feel sorry for him having to work with Eaves, ;)but I'm glad he's gotten a job in hockey.

Why would any of us read that pro-Minnesota propaganda rag disguised as a hockey publication?

:p

Gurtholfin
06-04-2015, 11:03 AM
To be honest, some of this has worked out better than I expected, but as Almington said, low expectations and all that...

drop_the_puck
06-04-2015, 11:10 AM
The hires seem good. Will Eaves let them have the reins a bit is my question? I would imagine Eaves won't change the 5 on 5 system, but I'm hoping these guys will get to roll with the power play and penalty kill, because that was embarrassingly awful last year.

Timothy A
06-04-2015, 12:35 PM

Well, Strand is way above that, Bittner not so much. I like the Strand move a lot, he's was a GM, so he should know how to look at talent. He's also coached young guys, so he should be in tune with them (whereas MM seems out of tune at times). Bittner is ho-hum, let's wait and see. At least I feel there is actually a good reason to he hopeful for next year. I just wonder how much control Eaves will give up to his Associate Head Coach partner.

Almington
06-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Well, Strand is way above that, Bittner not so much. I like the Strand move a lot, he's was a GM, so he should know how to look at talent. He's also coached young guys, so he should be in tune with them (whereas MM seems out of tune at times). Bittner is ho-hum, let's wait and see. At least I feel there is actually a good reason to he hopeful for next year. I just wonder how much control Eaves will give up to his Associate Head Coach partner.

With the the time that had elapsed, I was worried that Eaves was going to go outside the box.

All three of these hires seem to be quality hockey people who can hopefully compliment each other.

Wisko McBadgerton
06-04-2015, 07:14 PM

The thing that worries me about Hamre is that the published job description stated that "a bachelor's degree from an accredited school" was required.

Sure, he claims 3 degrees, including a PhD. But in reality, it turns out they are all from Minnesota.

solovsfett
06-04-2015, 10:08 PM
...hmmm...

I'm curious about the new hires and this Johnson kid.
I hope they work out despite what that would mean for having to endure metaphor mike for the forseeable future.

I'm also quite worried about the perception of the program at this point.

EDIT: chuck, thanks for continuing to add your insight here, it's extremely valuable

Timothy A
06-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Sure, he claims 3 degrees, including a PhD. But in reality, it turns out they are all from Minnesota.

LOL. I wonder if he as a key chain? He may and try to torpedo UW from the inside putting them in seedy disgusting hotels, setting up food poisoning opportunities and finding them infected girls to party with on the road. Eaves should make him burn all his rodentsota labeled clothing in front of the lads before the first rodent/UW tilt.

goldy_331
06-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Why would any of us read that pro-Minnesota propaganda rag disguised as a hockey publication?

:p

If you did you might actually learn something about hockey.:p

And learn something about your future star players before they show up on campus. ;)

Go4PuckFan2.0
06-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Eaves should make him burn all his rodentsota labeled clothing in front of the lads before the first rodent/UW tilt.

That would be all that's left of the Wisconsin hockey program to burn.

MadCityRich
06-05-2015, 11:00 AM
...hmmm...

I'm curious about the new hires and this Johnson kid.
I hope they work out despite what that would mean for having to endure metaphor mike for the forseeable future.

I'm also quite worried about the perception of the program at this point.

EDIT: chuck, thanks for continuing to add your insight here, it's extremely valuable

I 2nd that. I was afraid we would stop hearing from him.

I just hope the 3 new guys are not "puppets" of the program & coach, and put their own stamps on the team. I'm just ****ing sick & tired of the same ol' same ol'.

gwhinwi
06-05-2015, 02:47 PM
[/B]

I 2nd that. I was afraid we would stop hearing from him.

I just hope the 3 new guys are not "puppets" of the program & coach, and put their own stamps on the team. I'm just ****ing sick & tired of the same ol' same ol'.

Well, they certainly can't stop the 4 year cycle that the program is stuck on right now. That's something that will take quite a bit of roster corrections to resolve.