Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I've never managed a team. But it seems difficult on recruiting to announce a coaching change so far out.
    There won't be an announced future change. Either Eaves rights the ship this next season or he's gone. If he manages 15 wins or more I suspect he'll get a 2nd year beyond next and then who knows *** they'll be thinking. Even Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez isn't dumb enough to make such a grievous error in judgment that would be defacto announcing he's getting rid of a coach in 4 years...that type of stuff happens only when the Coaches call the shots ala whatshisname from Florida State some years back and the Coach announces a plan to leave and announces a successor.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

As many have pointed out, it makes no sense to give Eaves a single season to right the ship, particularly when the cupboards are fairly bare and restocking is likely to be tough. I would add to this that it makes even less sense to make him dismiss his assistants and get new ones during this process. Alvarez has really stacked the cards against Eaves in my opinion. It's hard to believe that Alvarez wants or expects Eaves to be successful. Perhaps there are some contractual benefits to the University if Eaves resigns vs. being let go, or perhaps there is a specific non-performance definition that has not been met in order to let him go without a penalty (maybe there needs to be consecutive bad seasons). I would also think the more time they have to find a successor, the better. As others have noted, the B1G needs a healthy Wisconsin hockey program for the league to do well. This year's B1G tourney was sad, but I don't expect a Wisconsin resurgence next year.

I'm still a bit mystified about how Eaves let the team fall off a recruiting cliff following back to back NCAA appearances. Wisconsin has so many recruiting advantages over most schools that they should be able to field a .500 team without even trying. Imagine what it's like trying to get blue chip players to come to a place like Ferris State...yet they consistently turn out .500 or better teams. Wisconsin is my B1G team and I have confidence that the program will be back strong before the decade is out, but it won't be under Eaves. We should be able to consistently field strong teams just as well as Michigan and Minnesota, but Eaves has just not been consistent enough given the program's advantages and historical performance.

Comment

The not extending of the rolling contract is SOP for the UW athletic department when they are moving in the direction of dismissal. I'm guessing it lowers the buyout amount.

Iirc, they used it on Lisa Stone and others over the years and then fired them later.

Like most here, I would have preferred a clean break.

This just wastes time.

The position they've put Eaves in almost guarantees failure. Why delay the inevitable and lose even more support?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Why delay the inevitable and lose even more support?
          I can think of four possible answers to this question:
          1. Hockey still somehow generates enough revenue that whatever they've lost in support over the last 5 years isn't making a big enough dent for them to notice or care.
          2. We're all delusional to think that UW Athletics has three true revenue generating sports. Hockey never was and never will again be a revenue sport for UW. That is: hockey's revenue is too small for the AD to notice or care, so it doesn't matter much to them how much of our support they lose.
          3. They have noticed the drop, they do care, but Coach Eaves' contract is so large that the bean counters have assumed that one more year of lost support is worth whatever they would recoup in not having an extra year on his contract for the buyout when he gets fired.
          4. They've noticed the drop, they do care, but they're so timid (or perhaps even stupid) to realize that they need to act now before things get worse.

Let's assume that it's all dollars and cents as they don't see a big enough issue in how poorly we've performed, since it didn't lead to an outright firing on just the basis of poor results on the ice. For crying out loud, Barry's out there publicly comparing our woes to that one time he had an iffy season with a young team as a football coach over 20 years ago. I doubt he's much in tune with how historically terrible our season was last year.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            ...We're all delusional to think that UW Athletics has three true revenue generating sports...
            You're not the first to use that term, and you won't be the last, but that phrase either needs an adjective saying how much (something like "major") or needs to be switched to "profit generating sports." You could sell one ticket to a sport all year, and that sport generated revenue. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

They have noticed the drop, they do care...
            The marketing people have certainly noticed and care a lot. In fact, I'll be meeting with one of the higher-ups in that department later this week to discuss it. Of course, those probably aren't the same people dealing with firing coaches and buying out contracts.

Comment

I'd be curious to know what marketing people think they can do about it. Are they concerned with general exposure of the program, or do they plan on trying to "improve" the appeal of going to games through some gimmickry?

I think we all know that the former is needed and important for the marketing team to look into (especially those of us who used to be able to see more home games on WPT than we can now). No doubt that the casual UW sports fan isn't terribly aware of UW hockey, and I'm sure that the twitter/facebook/instagram/whatever savvy folks in marketing might have some ways to engage the modern sportsfan.

But it'd be interesting to see what marketing thinks about the latter. I know I've made my thoughts on that subject known repeatedly in the past.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post

The marketing people have certainly noticed and care a lot. In fact, I'll be meeting with one of the higher-ups in that department later this week to discuss it. Of course, those probably aren't the same people dealing with firing coaches and buying out contracts.
                PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE point them to this board as just one example that illustrates how absolutely exasperated many long-term (and now ex-) ticket holders are...although...now that I think of it they probably won't care that myself or anyone else will spend their entertainment dollars on going to Blackhawks vs. Badgers now, they'll consider us a lost cause and move to see if they can get some of those "eat ****" "**** you" mensa candidate football fans in the KC...THAT WILL SHOW US
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Eaves has had one other time his contract was not renewed. Believe it was fours ago. Please verify. BA is happy to have a very bad year every four years. Badger hockey fans are not. Program deserves being a top notch program year in and year out. If we have the coach we need, and go to the NCAA tourney often, we will take care of Championships.....

Comment

I'll definitely talk about the what I've read on this board, but it's mainly focused on the student's perspective (and honestly, that's where I actually have something to offer). Based on the emails I received, it'll be pretty thorough - some big/broad things, some smaller things.

Comment

The marketing people are 2 years too late. The decline started after the BC debacle and has been going on ever since. The marketing people want to put a band aid on a cut to the forehead, but Dr. Alvarez is ignoring the sucking chest wound after putting the tourniquet on the shot through the thigh. I guess I just channeled my inner Metaphor Mike, sorry about that.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                        You're not the first to use that term, and you won't be the last, but that phrase either needs an adjective saying how much (something like "major") or needs to be switched to "profit generating sports." You could sell one ticket to a sport all year, and that sport generated revenue. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

Tell them they don't have stand a chance as long as the product put on the ice is so terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post
                          Eaves has had one other time his contract was not renewed. Believe it was fours ago. Please verify. BA is happy to have a very bad year every four years. Badger hockey fans are not. Program deserves being a top notch program year in and year out. If we have the coach we need, and go to the NCAA tourney often, we will take care of Championships.....
                          The contract that he signed in 2012 indicates he was extended in 2011 and 2012.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128411032/...ach-Mike-Eaves

I had thought that he wasn't renewed at one point in the past as well, but I can't find a record of that.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

A friend of mine who is in some of the right circles (put it this way: he knew about the UnderArmor thing before that got reported... I guess his boss is a big donor), made an interesting point about the Eaves (and Kelsey) non-firing:

The summary: Gary Andersen leaving, and all the difficulties and hoopla that go into hiring the new football staff is enough of a hassle for the athletic department as it is. To add in more burden by having to do yet another head coaching search or two (in lieu of, say, the existing staff looking for new assistants) might've been too much for the AD board to bear in one offseason.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              A friend of mine who is in some of the right circles (put it this way: he knew about the UnderArmor thing before that got reported... I guess his boss is a big donor), made an interesting point about the Eaves (and Kelsey) non-firing:

The summary: Gary Andersen leaving, and all the difficulties and hoopla that go into hiring the new football staff is enough of a hassle for the athletic department as it is. To add in more burden by having to do yet another head coaching search or two (in lieu of, say, the existing staff looking for new assistants) might've been too much for the AD board to bear in one offseason.

Thoughts?
                              So their logic would be this? If your boat is taking on water it would be better to keep going and just hope that it doesn't sink, rather than to get a bucket to try and dump out the water, because that's less work than trying to fix the problem?
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Thoughts?

You mean Barry made a decision about the hockey program based on the state of the football program?!?

I don't believe it! /sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                                X