Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

It's almost unfair to Eaves to have not fired him. It's not that this situation isn't of his own making, but this really is just a no-win situation .
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      It's almost unfair to Eaves to have not fired him. It's not that this situation isn't of his own making, but this really is just a no-win situation .
      This is what I don't understand, does BA really think that next year will be this big turn around where UW is back to competing for the Big 10 and a playoff spot?

I don't see that happening no matter what occurs unless Eaves magically pulls in ALL the top uncommitted recruits, and even then I'm not sure that would happen, but the odds increase.

If you hire a new coach, and the team struggles for a few years, but begins to show improvement on the ice (like markwojo said) then you can feel good about the direction of the program. At this point, I'm not sure what will make me feel good about an Eaves run program no matter what result occurs. Even if they somehow won the NC next season (everyone laugh w/ me!), I would still have so much doubt in the back of my mind moving forward.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
        This is what I don't understand, does BA really think that next year will be this big turn around where UW is back to competing for the Big 10 and a playoff spot?

I don't see that happening no matter what occurs unless Eaves magically pulls in ALL the top uncommitted recruits, and even then I'm not sure that would happen, but the odds increase.

If you hire a new coach, and the team struggles for a few years, but begins to show improvement on the ice (like markwojo said) then you can feel good about the direction of the program. At this point, I'm not sure what will make me feel good about an Eaves run program no matter what result occurs. Even if they somehow won the NC next season (everyone laugh w/ me!), I would still have so much doubt in the back of my mind moving forward.
        It seems like Alvarez is treating this like it's a professional sport in that he thinks that replacing the assistant coaches could make a large difference with a team that can't make much in the way of large scale roster changes.

What this seems to indicate is that Eaves isn't just going to be the coach for this year but also for at least one more year. There just isn't a way to make any big changes on a college roster in a single season and Barry seems to be giving him a lot of leeway to "put hay in the barn."
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

As I said earlier, it was a half-measure.

From a fan's perspective (this fan anyway), it does nothing to get me re-excited about the program. In fact, it makes me less excited to the point where I don't care who the new assistants are and am basically apathetic at this point and doubt I'll really get back into it until the inevitable Eaves firing happens at some later date.

Had they brought in a new regime, I'd be all over it as like most, I love the building towards something.

Watching a sinking ship is only enjoyable when it's someone else's ship (and even then, it gets old after a bit), not your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

From a fan's perspective (this fan anyway), it does nothing to get me re-excited about the program. In fact, it makes me less excited to the point where I don't care who the new assistants are and am basically apathetic at this point and doubt I'll really get back into it until the inevitable Eaves firing happens at some later date.

Had they brought in a new regime, I'd be all over it as like most, I love the building towards something.

Watching a sinking ship is only enjoyable when it's someone else's ship (and even then, it gets old after a bit), not your own.
            This is largely how I feel. I feel bad for the players, because they are pawns in a sad game being played by both BA and Eaves. I really think if BA had canned Eaves and brought in someone new, that in 3 years this program could be back on the right track. Now, we wait a year or two and then finally get a new direction and fresh attitude for the team. This freshman class may very well never see the NCAA tourney with Eaves at the helm, maybe as seniors just due to experience.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

That's what I don't think the athletic department recognizes that's Eaves has lost the fan base: the lack of consistancy has really hurt hurt and a single winning season isn't going to change how many of the fans feel. The result is that the number of season tickets are going to continue to erode.

Comment

It's likely we're stuck with Eaves until he retires. They'll hit double digit wins next year, and that will be seen as a sign of progress . The next year they will inch above .500, another sign of progress. The next year they are in the 22ish win area, possibly making the ncaas, more progress. Then the bottom falls out again with 12 freshmen, but hey, they're just young. .

JK and BA MUST understand that you can win with young rosters. They truly do not understand this nor the fact that the fans are tired of MM and his systems.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I honestly feel double-digit wins is going to be tough for UW. On paper their offense is no better than last year. While Freytag and Malone may be better than anyone in the now departed Senior class the 3rd and 4th lines are pretty abysmal so there will be even less depth. It seems like a wash.

Like EODS pointed out, this really is a no-win situation which makes the decision to retain Eaves all the more baffling IMO.

In other news, Chuck/Andy left Bucky's 5th Q...We didn't always agree but I really enjoyed his insight and the recruiting updates. Now what? Hybert comes back?

Wisconsin Hockey: everyone is leaving or depressed and thinking of leaving or eff it. We have the Blackhawks so forget the rest
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Per Andy on twitter, Christ Tok is being let go from his NAHL head coaching position. He has done real well there and might be a good fit for 2nd assistant....
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      I honestly feel double-digit wins is going to be tough for UW. On paper their offense is no better than last year. While Freytag and Malone may be better than anyone in the now departed Senior class the 3rd and 4th lines are pretty abysmal so there will be even less depth. It seems like a wash.

Like EODS pointed out, this really is a no-win situation which makes the decision to retain Eaves all the more baffling IMO.

In other news, Chuck/Andy left Bucky's 5th Q...We didn't always agree but I really enjoyed his insight and the recruiting updates. Now what? Hybert comes back?

Wisconsin Hockey: everyone is leaving or depressed and thinking of leaving or eff it. We have the Blackhawks so forget the rest
                      I think an improved defense and special teams will get UW to double digit wins.

Andy leaving....we go from having the best recruiting news guy on the plant to having the worst. That is what sucks most of all. Too bad he just could have pared down to recruiting only....Thanks again Andy. May the Schwartz be with you.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I think an improved defense and special teams will get UW to double digit wins.

Andy leaving....we go from having the best recruiting news guy on the plant to having the worst. That is what sucks most of all. Too bad he just could have pared down to recruiting only....Thanks again Andy. May the Schwartz be with you.
                        I'm not dead. I'll still pop in with some recruiting scoops if I can. Just won't be writing articles any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          I'm not dead.
                          Chuck feels happy! Chuck feels happy! Chuck feels-
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I do hate Wisconsin hockey. But I am sad to see Andy is stopping coverage as well. Best of luck to ya!
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I think to fill the void of Badger hockey blogging, Mike Eaves needs to start a Badger Hockey Poetry blog w/ simple missives about puppies, space exploration and mountain climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                Sounds like Mike is going way outside the box on the coaching search. Maybe outside of outside of the box.
                                Like Jost & Fabbro's dads?

Comment

Working...
                                X