Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    True on your first question. Not sure on your second. I talked to a potential candidate for the job yesterday that I think would be a good hire and he said he wanted nothing to do with it, and he's applied for open jobs at UW in the past. He said now it's not worth the risk of uprooting his wife and kids, even though they are from the midwest, with the program in the state that it's in. Not worth the risk if they go 10-24 next season and get fired. Doesn't mean that's how everyone feels, but I thought it was telling.

It does sound like Barry will have final say on the hires. Which is a change from the past.
    This was my fear. What good coach is going to want to come into this cluster? Just goes to show they should have cleaned house.

Also shows why he is going outside of outside the box.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Like Bags wrote, I too heard last night that Eaves was up in Penticton checking on Jost and Fabbro. Wisconsin still has the advantage in the fact Fabbro's dad hired former Badger Maco Balkovec to run his youth program (Burnaby Winter Club). I've heard that Boston College has come hard after Fabbro, but that the dad wants him to go to UW. Who knows what happens in the end, but Wisconsin is still in the hunt.
      Maybe Eaves needs to hire Balkovec, but that would be a Schuchuck/Walsh type hire. Is Fabbro a one and done?

Not a good tell on the guy who won't apply this time.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Maybe Eaves needs to hire Balkovec, but that would be a Schuchuck/Walsh type hire. Is Fabbro a one and done?

Not a good tell on the guy who won't apply this time.
        You can do a Walsh/Schuchuk hire if that guy is connected/going to be a good recruiter as your second assistant behind a strong lead assistant. Schuchuk might have worked with an Oz in place, but to have him as the lead guy and then Walsh as the compliment was clown shoes from the get go only out done by the debacle that was Buters.

I'm not overly concerned with a guy that applied and wasn't hired (although given Eaves recent track record on hires, maybe I should be) multiple times not applying. I'm more encouraged that the school sounds like they are upping the pay scale and will consider multiple years for the right guy which should be a strong enticement for good and confident in their abilities candidates. If you have concerns that Eaves may get launched, a two year deal is more security then an assistant has in most places anyways. Even in a more stable school, what if the head coach goes to a greener pasture (pros or higher profile school)....there are no guarantees the new coach retains them and on a one year deal you are unemployed just the same.

I doubt Fabbro is a one and done....those are pretty rare for a Dman. Even high first round picks tend to stick around a couple years if not 3.

Comment

Ryan Suter?

As an outsider, my interest in this revolves around Ben Eaves. He was always though of as a coach somewhere down the line whether it be an assistant/future replacement for Jerry York. But, I can certainly understand the reservations with his lack of experience and the fact you aren't happy with his father. Just interesting to me.

Based on where he is right now, what would be the next logical jump for Ben as a coach?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Ryan Suter?

As an outsider, my interest in this revolves around Ben Eaves. He was always though of as a coach somewhere down the line whether it be an assistant/future replacement for Jerry York. But, I can certainly understand the reservations with his lack of experience and the fact you aren't happy with his father. Just interesting to me.

Based on where he is right now, what would be the next logical jump for Ben as a coach?
            Currently Ben is the 2nd Assistant at St. Olaf College (D-III) in MN, this was his first season coaching since retirement. I'd say that is great place for him to stay for a few seasons to learn how to balance all the aspects of coaching at the college level before moving up to a 2nd assistant at the D-1 level with an established HC and primary assistant. BC would be a great stop for him in 3 or so years, IMHO.

Comment

If Eaves is smart, he would not want any risk of nepotism around him at this point. He's already dealing with a lot of heat.
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                If Eaves is smart, he would not want any risk of nepotism around him at this point. He's already dealing with a lot of heat.
                Agree...sliding his kid with virtually no resume in coaching into a 2nd assistant slot might work at a peak point in his tenure, after the valley of 2014-15 it might be met with more then mass indignation for the program and accelerated season ticketholder defections. Hell, Murray Eaves might be a better nepotism hire then Ben. He's at least established ties to Shattucks.

Eaves needs an absolute stud in his top slot....along the lines of Oz, Granato, maybe Steve Miller and then fill the other spot with a young/hungry/charismatic #2 that compliments the top guys recruiting geographic base of strength (if the one is well connected in Minnesota, the other needs to bring maybe Western Canada strength to the dance),

Comment

Thinking outside of the box a bit here, but is there any chance that there would be an associate head coach hired for one of the positions? If we're hearing that some people wouldn't apply for the job if they thought they could lose their job, would there be interest from coaches who could get a 3 year deal knowing that they could step up to the head position if the season goes badly?

If Barry is the one that is giving the go-ahead on any hires, this could be a possibility. Of course, Barry isn't a "hockey guy" so there is that too.
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    Thinking outside of the box a bit here, but is there any chance that there would be an associate head coach hired for one of the positions? If we're hearing that some people wouldn't apply for the job if they thought they could lose their job, would there be interest from coaches who could get a 3 year deal knowing that they could step up to the head position if the season goes badly?

If Barry is the one that is giving the go-ahead on any hires, this could be a possibility. Of course, Barry isn't a "hockey guy" so there is that too.
                    It isn't hard to ask a few hockey people if say Granato (or Oz or whoever you have in mind) would make a good head coach candidate as a replacement for Eaves. If Alvarez got the feedback that he is, giving him a 2-3 year deal and title of Associate head coach wouldn't be much of a stretch. In the end, if Eaves doesn't turn the ship around/climb the mountain/put enough hay in the barn/get the rocket ship to the moon....you'll have an associate head coach that makes less then most football assistant coaches. If you like that guy as a head coach....great. If not, you owe him another year or two if the new head coach don't want to retain him. I see ZERO harm in upping the pay scale a bit, giving multiple years, and hiring a quality guy to help fix the chitshow that Wisconsin hockey has become. If you don't fix it, it will cost you more money in lost revenue anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                      It isn't hard to ask a few hockey people if say Granato (or Oz or whoever you have in mind) would make a good head coach candidate as a replacement for Eaves. If Alvarez got the feedback that he is, giving him a 2-3 year deal and title of Associate head coach wouldn't be much of a stretch. In the end, if Eaves doesn't turn the ship around/climb the mountain/put enough hay in the barn/get the rocket ship to the moon....you'll have an associate head coach that makes less then most football assistant coaches. If you like that guy as a head coach....great. If not, you owe him another year or two if the new head coach don't want to retain him. I see ZERO harm in upping the pay scale a bit, giving multiple years, and hiring a quality guy to help fix the chitshow that Wisconsin hockey has become. If you don't fix it, it will cost you more money in lost revenue anyways.
                      I want that made into some kind of t-shirt, maybe one scene that incorporates all 4 sayings. The ship turns around to the farm, where the hay is put in the barn, giving time to climb the mountain where the rocket is launched to the moon. And somewhere there is a puppy crapping on a carpet....
                      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                      Originally posted by UWisco
                      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                        I want that made into some kind of t-shirt, maybe one scene that incorporates all 4 sayings. The ship turns around to the farm, where the hay is put in the barn, giving time to climb the mountain where the rocket is launched to the moon. And somewhere there is a puppy crapping on a carpet....
                        http://i.imgur.com/MsxtWBq.jpg

I make this picture free of use to the internet and world. All possible uses forthwith are allowed under Common Commons or something.
                        Last edited by gwhinwi; 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I make this picture free of use to the internet and world. All possible uses forthwith are allowed under Common Commons or something.
                          If I ever meet you, I will buy you many beers!

Printed and hanging on my cubicle wall!
                          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                          Originally posted by UWisco
                          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Awesome, just awesome.....
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                              That's the thing though isn't it? What would Eaves be thinking if he's suddenly got an associate coach situation forced on him? I'd fear there would be fur flying by the end of the first month between the coaches.

All of this leads back to what a STUPID decision Alvarez made by NOT cleaning house. There's just no winning in this situation, Alvarez would be given an F if he were being graded on how he handled this.

Eaves gets less than 20 wins and I'd can him. Hell, let's be generous, less than 14 wins and you can him. So what's the point of retaining this guy if you know **** well there's nowhere near the talent (not on paper nor in reality) to get to .500 even? The Athletic department just insured another 2-4 years of ****ty hockey because on top of coaches balking at coming to Madison there will now be kids all over the place who are going to be asking themselves (if approached by Eaves) "will this guy be here in 2 years?", and they're right and smart to ask themselves that.

What's more embarrassing at this point? The U canning Eaves now (so it would appear Alvarez went back on his word)? Or canning him after next season and in essence owning up to the fact they ****ed up by not firing him in the first place?

I love UW Hockey as much as anyone but I just do not see any bright spots here. Someone help me out.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                That's the thing though isn't it? What would Eaves be thinking if he's suddenly got an associate coach situation forced on him? I'd fear there would be fur flying by the end of the first month between the coaches.

All of this leads back to what a STUPID decision Alvarez made by NOT cleaning house. There's just no winning in this situation, Alvarez would be given an F if he were being graded on how he handled this.

Eaves gets less than 20 wins and I'd can him. Hell, let's be generous, less than 14 wins and you can him. So what's the point of retaining this guy if you know **** well there's nowhere near the talent (not on paper nor in reality) to get to .500 even? The Athletic department just insured another 2-4 years of ****ty hockey because on top of coaches balking at coming to Madison there will now be kids all over the place who are going to be asking themselves (if approached by Eaves) "will this guy be here in 2 years?", and they're right and smart to ask themselves that.

What's more embarrassing at this point? The U canning Eaves now (so it would appear Alvarez went back on his word)? Or canning him after next season and in essence owning up to the fact they ****ed up by not firing him in the first place?

I love UW Hockey as much as anyone but I just do not see any bright spots here. Someone help me out.
                                My vote was definitely to clean house and I agree completely that the current environment is a stacked deck against Eaves (majority of which is self inflicted). That said, Eaves has worked quite successfully with Oz for a considerable length of time (he very well could prove to be what Guentzel was to Lucia for Eaves).

There is little doubt barring some massive miracle of Mathews, Tchucak, & Jones deciding to first off play college hockey and secondly in Madison, that .500 would be otherworldly coaching given the talent level on the roster currently. I'm not as concerned with wins and losses as I am the actual play on the ice and the trend line of the program. Win 14/15ish games the right way, and I could live with another season of Eaves (I won't be in a rush to get my season tickets back....nor would that be my preference). Stop getting out shot 50 to 20, actually but 3 pucks in the other teams net per game, have an Oz/Grantatoesque lead assistant, start winning some recruiting battles (Fabbro and Jost at a minimum) and another season may be merited. I suspect we'll see more puppies crapping the carpet and few of the above come to fruition.
                                Last edited by markwojo; 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X