Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    I feel the same way about North Dakota fans. I like them, but feel bad when their house is swept away down the Red River every year it floods. Though outside of *ioux hockey that is all the amusement they get all year.

I agree with Wojo's point too, its great when minnesota has a down year so we can all mock them (they are certainly enjoying the Mike Eaves train derailment), but it would be a lot more fun if UW and minnesota were both top 5 teams every year and the games were epic battles. The rest of teh Big 10 would be an after thought fighting for seeding on thursday of the conf tourney. Imagine the KC w/ 15,000 people in it again...
    I concur. The games between the Badgers and Minnesota in 2013-14 were tremendous because there was so much on the line. Imagine how exciting those games are going to be next year with Eaves when there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8,000 in the stands and puppies crapping on the ice.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
      My take on the rodent "friendliness" is that the more knowledgeable ones understand how having a potent rival is way more fun then not. There is no sport in grabbing the shotgun and running out on the deck to shot the bird that flew into your sliding glass door and is already dead. For better or worse, with the Big 10 now, Minnesota and Wisconsin are clearly each others top rivals and need each other to be good for a variety of reasons.
      Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin need to be in good health for this conference to be at its best. Those were the three programs we count on the most from a conference perspective. Penn State is heading in the right direction and is showing potential. Michigan State seems bipolar but can be good. Ohio State needs to figure it out (if they had a hockey only rink, I think they would be much stronger than they are). But if your best three options aren't viable, it hurts things in general.

I didn't think much of Eaves long before this season. Mostly because I heard a number of negative things about the way he would handle recruits with the pressure tactics, etc. Just the kind of stuff that often times isn't necessary. He reaps what he sowed... and now we see how it is hurting him.
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        I concur. The games between the Badgers and Minnesota in 2013-14 were tremendous because there was so much on the line. Imagine how exciting those games are going to be next year with Eaves when there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8,000 in the stands and puppies crapping on the ice.
        With the 300 level empty, there will be plenty of room for Eaves' hypothetical hay to be put in the barn too. Too bad, like almost every other season during his tenure other than 2006 or 2010, getting the hay into the barn won't be happening.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

This goes back to the end of the last thread, but is anyone else uneasy about all the friendship and support we are getting from gopher fans? Did hell freeze over and no one informed me yet?
          Pairwise. Right now, playing you is all downside, no upside. That's how a one bid league is made. The Gophers need you to at least get your ranking into the high 20s or low 30s

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Pairwise. Right now, playing you is all downside, no upside. That's how a one bid league is made. The Gophers need you to at least get your ranking into the high 20s or low 30s
            This is far too rational and I won't accept it as an answer.

Speaking of downside, minnesota certainly played down to the Badgers when they visited Madison. If only the Badgers could have played defense for 2 minutes and not allowed 4 goals....

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              This is how I feel also. No need to create distractions from the Men's BB tourney run, all the negative stuff can be announced after the Hovkey tournament is done. Also, makes it easier on any potential candidates who are coaching in that they won't have to answer any distracting questions about their interest in the UW job.

While we all want a clean sweep, I'm not going to panic until May 1st. Nothing much is going on now that would require immediate action to fix.
              If he had any intentions on firing him he would have just declined the interview request. Going on the record saying what he did and then firing him two or three weeks later makes little sense and sends a very odd message to the public.

Also, for whatever it's worth, Shuey was out evaluating players as recently as yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                If he had any intentions on firing him he would have just declined the interview request. Going on the record saying what he did and then firing him two or three weeks later makes little sense and sends a very odd message to the public.

Also, for whatever it's worth, Shuey was out evaluating players as recently as yesterday.
                I would like to go on record and say that none of this shocks me and all of it makes me unhappy.

I do love Barry's quote from your article, Chuck. "I can't lose confidence in a coach that has had as much success as he's had,'' Alvarez told the State Journal. Along those lines he will coach the hockey team forever since he has had success in the past.

Did Gary call any of the parents of the players idiots? Just trying to see if he is trying to cut out the middleman and go directly to insulting the parents of the kids he wants to coach.
                Last edited by gwhinwi; 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Makes sense, but not what I want to hear. This is just a real cluster. I can't believe they are that brain dead that bringing Eaves back won't hurt the program further financially and is not the best to move the program forward. Maybe I am wrong.

As far as the rink manager being out, I suppose until there are coaching meetings for end of the year he would be. I can't believe he will be back next year.
                  Last edited by WiscTJK; 03-23-2015, 02:30 PM.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Alvarez could have said, Quote

(Hope Andy johnson▼doesn't report me for plagiarism--just really liked this)
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

This goes back to the end of the last thread, but is anyone else uneasy about all the friendship and support we are getting from gopher fans? Did hell freeze over and no one informed me yet?
                      I won't speak for others, but it's a lot more fun when both of our programs are doing well. I think it's better for hockey in general in this region as well.

The whole B1G conference this season was such a drag this season. I'd like to see MN, UW, and UM (and the others) doing well. Makes the conference season a lot more enjoyable to watch, and would probably put a lot more butts in the seats as well.

EDIT: Lots of respect for you long-time Badger fans who are suffering thru this. We went thru our own period of troubles in the late 00's and I know first-hand how miserable it can be. Can't help but respect those who have stuck by their team thru the tough times. Especially those who report on the team (Andy). Those updates can't be fun to write. Hope it turns around.
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-23-2015, 03:25 PM.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        My take on the rodent "friendliness" is that the more knowledgeable ones understand how having a potent rival is way more fun then not. There is no sport in grabbing the shotgun and running out on the deck to shot the bird that flew into your sliding glass door and is already dead. For better or worse, with the Big 10 now, Minnesota and Wisconsin are clearly each others top rivals and need each other to be good for a variety of reasons.
                        Exactly.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          I won't speak for others, but it's a lot more fun when both of our programs are doing well. I think it's better for hockey in general in this region as well.

The whole B1G conference this season was such a drag this season. I'd like to see MN, UW, and UM (and the others) doing well. Makes the conference season a lot more enjoyable to watch, and would probably put a lot more butts in the seats as well.

EDIT: Lots of respect for you long-time Badger fans who are suffering thru this. We went thru our own period of troubles in the late 00's and I know first-hand how miserable it can be. Can't help but respect those who have stuck by their team thru the tough times. Especially those who report on the team (Andy). Those updates can't be fun to write. Hope it turns around.
                          While I understand your reasoning, and agree with you, I still don't like all the friendliness.

I feel like gopher fans are just pretending to be nice so I will help you change your tire, and once I've helped you will beat me, rob me and leave me to die by the side of the road.

Actually that is kind of how I feel about this season too. Replace gophers fans pretending to be nice, with Mike Eaves pretending to know how to run a traditional college hockey powerhouse (or a PP). I get sucked in by my devotion only to be beaten (this part didn't happen), robbed (literally since I paid to watch that garbage) and left for dead (I'm an idiot fan after all).

Comment

[QUOTE=WiscTJK;6135004]Makes sense, but not what I want to hear. This is just a real cluster. I can't believe they are that brain dead that bringing Eaves back won't hurt the program further financially and is not the best to move the program forward. Maybe I am wrong.

As far as the rink manager being out, I suppose until there are coaching meetings for end of the year he would be. I can't believe he will be back next year.[/QUOTE

What can you say really? Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez couldn't give 2 ****s about the state of the 6-time ncaa championship winning team, and certainly doesn't give 2 ****s about us fans. Welcome to perpetual mediocrity.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I tend to agree with you. There is really no point in even making a public statement on the current coach after the season is over if you are planning on canning him. You'd simply say nothing at all.

FWIW, Doug Woog stepped down on April 6, 1999... and Lucia was hired 3 days later. I really don't think you delay important decisions because of other sports.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                FWIW, Doug Woog stepped down on April 6, 1999... and Lucia was hired 3 days later. I really don't think you delay important decisions because of other sports.
                                HUGE difference....Hockey IS UM, Football & BB ARE UW (in BA's eye's only). He'll just jack up the hockey prices to try and make up the difference.

So refresh us, was Wooger forced out?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X