PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Gandalf the Red
04-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Pipe dream:

Flyers take Eaves off our hands.

I hate the Flyers, so maybe I should start a draft Mike Eaves effort as their new head coach. They get dogs crapping and space camp, we get a fresh start for the program.

bucky15
04-17-2015, 01:12 PM
I hate the Flyers, so maybe I should start a draft Mike Eaves effort as their new head coach. They get dogs crapping and space camp, we get a fresh start for the program.

I know this is a double whammy pipe dream.

Innova
04-17-2015, 05:07 PM
http://m.thn.com/blog/auston-matthews-just-broke-patrick-kanes-ntdp-record-for-points-in-a-season/

Can't believe Wisconsin wasn't listed at the end if the article. *tongue firmly planted in cheek*

solovsfett
04-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Positive side of the ledger....Ben's DNA is part his mom's and part MM's......Negative side of the ledger.......Ben's DNA is part his mom's and part MM's. There's no way I want to see MM Jr as a coach. UW needs to spend big money on 2 experienced assistants. Break the freaking bank. There's reason for UW to go on the cheap.

Eaves would be beyond stupid to bring his kid into this situation. First, nepotism reeks. Second, this regime is failing and optimistically the next time UW could be good or great is 2 years from now IF the stars align, so eaves is destined to get canned and his kid would get punted with him. Third, why saddle that kid with failure?

Timothy A
04-18-2015, 01:33 PM
http://m.thn.com/blog/auston-matthews-just-broke-patrick-kanes-ntdp-record-for-points-in-a-season/

Can't believe Wisconsin wasn't listed at the end if the article. *tongue firmly planted in cheek*

UW should be. Eaves should be doing a full court press on the guy.

Almington
04-19-2015, 11:37 AM
UW should be. Eaves should be doing a full court press on the guy.

Why would any expected one-and-done player even consider UW for next season? UW isn't one player (regardless of how good) away from competing for a NCAA tournament bid, let alone any type of championship.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but we're probably a one-and-done blue chipper away from having to rent one of those fancy carpet shampooing machines a few less times this year.

Chuck Schwartz
04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Auston Matthews is not going to play college hockey. If he does play college hockey, he's not coming to Wisconsin. If he does go to Wisconsin, I'll poop on my own carpet.

Timothy A
04-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Why would any expected one-and-done player even consider UW for next season? UW isn't one player (regardless of how good) away from competing for a NCAA tournament bid, let alone any type of championship.

Eaves does have a great history of prepping guys for the next level. That is his best selling point beside the U itself.

Chuck Schwartz
04-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Sounds like Mike is going way outside the box on the coaching search. Maybe outside of outside of the box.

WiscTJK
04-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Sounds like Mike is going way outside the box on the coaching search. Maybe outside of outside of the box.

Are we going to like the outside?

Almington
04-19-2015, 09:28 PM

Isnt that where he found Butters? Seriously, is he just messing with Alvarez at this point or does no one in or near the box want any part of this disaster?

WiscTJK
04-19-2015, 09:45 PM
Article from Baggot: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-with-staff-positions-unfilled-mike-eaves/article_fa395728-30c5-54c2-814f-c41acb08d5cd.html

Chuck Schwartz
04-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Isnt that where he found Butters? Seriously, is he just messing with Alvarez at this point or does no one in or near the box want any part of this disaster?

True on your first question. Not sure on your second. I talked to a potential candidate for the job yesterday that I think would be a good hire and he said he wanted nothing to do with it, and he's applied for open jobs at UW in the past. He said now it's not worth the risk of uprooting his wife and kids, even though they are from the midwest, with the program in the state that it's in. Not worth the risk if they go 10-24 next season and get fired. Doesn't mean that's how everyone feels, but I thought it was telling.

It does sound like Barry will have final say on the hires. Which is a change from the past.

Chuck Schwartz
04-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Article from Baggot: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-with-staff-positions-unfilled-mike-eaves/article_fa395728-30c5-54c2-814f-c41acb08d5cd.html

Like Bags wrote, I too heard last night that Eaves was up in Penticton checking on Jost and Fabbro. Wisconsin still has the advantage in the fact Fabbro's dad hired former Badger Maco Balkovec to run his youth program (Burnaby Winter Club). I've heard that Boston College has come hard after Fabbro, but that the dad wants him to go to UW. Who knows what happens in the end, but Wisconsin is still in the hunt.

WiscTJK
04-20-2015, 08:16 AM
True on your first question. Not sure on your second. I talked to a potential candidate for the job yesterday that I think would be a good hire and he said he wanted nothing to do with it, and he's applied for open jobs at UW in the past. He said now it's not worth the risk of uprooting his wife and kids, even though they are from the midwest, with the program in the state that it's in. Not worth the risk if they go 10-24 next season and get fired. Doesn't mean that's how everyone feels, but I thought it was telling.

It does sound like Barry will have final say on the hires. Which is a change from the past.

This was my fear. What good coach is going to want to come into this cluster? Just goes to show they should have cleaned house.

Also shows why he is going outside of outside the box.

Timothy A
04-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Like Bags wrote, I too heard last night that Eaves was up in Penticton checking on Jost and Fabbro. Wisconsin still has the advantage in the fact Fabbro's dad hired former Badger Maco Balkovec to run his youth program (Burnaby Winter Club). I've heard that Boston College has come hard after Fabbro, but that the dad wants him to go to UW. Who knows what happens in the end, but Wisconsin is still in the hunt.

Maybe Eaves needs to hire Balkovec, but that would be a Schuchuck/Walsh type hire. Is Fabbro a one and done?

Not a good tell on the guy who won't apply this time.

markwojo
04-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Maybe Eaves needs to hire Balkovec, but that would be a Schuchuck/Walsh type hire. Is Fabbro a one and done?

Not a good tell on the guy who won't apply this time.

You can do a Walsh/Schuchuk hire if that guy is connected/going to be a good recruiter as your second assistant behind a strong lead assistant. Schuchuk might have worked with an Oz in place, but to have him as the lead guy and then Walsh as the compliment was clown shoes from the get go only out done by the debacle that was Buters.

I'm not overly concerned with a guy that applied and wasn't hired (although given Eaves recent track record on hires, maybe I should be) multiple times not applying. I'm more encouraged that the school sounds like they are upping the pay scale and will consider multiple years for the right guy which should be a strong enticement for good and confident in their abilities candidates. If you have concerns that Eaves may get launched, a two year deal is more security then an assistant has in most places anyways. Even in a more stable school, what if the head coach goes to a greener pasture (pros or higher profile school)....there are no guarantees the new coach retains them and on a one year deal you are unemployed just the same.

I doubt Fabbro is a one and done....those are pretty rare for a Dman. Even high first round picks tend to stick around a couple years if not 3.

J.D.
04-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Ryan Suter? ;)

As an outsider, my interest in this revolves around Ben Eaves. He was always though of as a coach somewhere down the line whether it be an assistant/future replacement for Jerry York. But, I can certainly understand the reservations with his lack of experience and the fact you aren't happy with his father. Just interesting to me.

Based on where he is right now, what would be the next logical jump for Ben as a coach?

Almington
04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Ryan Suter? ;)

As an outsider, my interest in this revolves around Ben Eaves. He was always though of as a coach somewhere down the line whether it be an assistant/future replacement for Jerry York. But, I can certainly understand the reservations with his lack of experience and the fact you aren't happy with his father. Just interesting to me.

Based on where he is right now, what would be the next logical jump for Ben as a coach?

Currently Ben is the 2nd Assistant at St. Olaf College (D-III) in MN, this was his first season coaching since retirement. I'd say that is great place for him to stay for a few seasons to learn how to balance all the aspects of coaching at the college level before moving up to a 2nd assistant at the D-1 level with an established HC and primary assistant. BC would be a great stop for him in 3 or so years, IMHO.