Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    I guess I just don't really understand what the change in assistants really does. Seems mainly like a PR move to show fans something is being done. But it seems to me most fans believe that the head coach is the issue. Eaves/Alvarez seem to have a disconnect with their fan base

I disagree with Andy's article in one major way. Recruiting shouldn't be a big focus in who is brought in. Not that it should mean nothing but the reality is no matter who comes in as assistants, the kids they recruit are (mostly) going to be a few seasons away... players they may never coach if Eaves doesn't turn things around now. Better to find coaches that are going to affect the current club more as opposed to whether they have good recruiting contacts
    I agree for the most part. Minus launching Eaves, my only hope is that maybe this is a Guentzel deal where Lucia had his struggles for 3 seasons without him, and things return to normal when he returned. Mind you, I think Eaves issues run deeper then that, but one can hope since that is about all we have at this point to hang our hats on.

As far as recruiting....that has to be a major consideration with one if not both hires. A significant part of the issues here are rooted in (poor) recruiting. Since Oz left, we have brought in fewer blue chip stud D (Doughrety is really the only that fits that description, and only reason he ended up here is OSU let Oz go). Our forward recruiting for the entire Eaves regime has consistently been one if not two guys short that can actually create offense and are high skill guys. Sure we've had guys like Turris, Stepan, Kerdelies roll through town, but rarely with a comparable running mate at the same time. No, you don't take a guy that can't coach just for the sake of recruiting. But make no mistake, college sports are as much about the Jimmy's and Joe's as it is the X's and O's. Land Jost and Fabbro this Summer for the following fall, and Eaves will be a genius coach. Eaves has had success the two times he has had loaded rosters....problem is that has only been twice.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Zulinick is leaving the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        Ugh. Well I understand this because of his son.
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          He is too old to play in the WHL. Where do you think he will go or is this the end of the road for his hockey career?

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
            Ugh. Well I understand this because of his son.
            As a father I understand. As a fan of this dark time in the program, I understand. No problem with his reasoning.

More holes to fill, more kids to bring in too early, etc.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
              As a father I understand. As a fan of this dark time in the program, I understand. No problem with his reasoning.

More holes to fill, more kids to bring in too early, etc.
              With having a kid, maybe he felt another mission to space was just too unsafe.

All in all, can't blame him for looking out for his family. Seemed like a nice person and talented off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                He is too old to play in the WHL. Where do you think he will go or is this the end of the road for his hockey career?
                This might be a surprise, but they actually have college hockey in Canada.

Great young man, sorry to see him go as I was looking forward to seeing him play next year. He showed flashes of what he could really do a few times this year and the rest of the boys will certainly miss him on the ice and in the locker room. Wish he and his family the very best. Once a Badger, always a Badger, Zully.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

So he's leavin the team, as opposed to signing a pro deal? Am I hearing that right?
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wisko McBadgerton;6148733]This might be a surprise, but they actually have college hockey in Canada.

QUOTE]

Wow! What a surprise, didn't know that.

Unless you are Joel Ward, then college hockey in Canada is the end of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      So he's leavin the team, as opposed to signing a pro deal? Am I hearing that right?

I doubt with 5 goals and 15 points last year, and ca career stat line of 9 goals and 33 total points in 78 game will garner him a contract.

I wish him the best in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post

Wow! What a surprise, didn't know that.

Unless you are Joel Ward, then college hockey in Canada is the end of the road.
                        How come everybody's so touchy these days? He may play for fun, which would probably be a change, (Just ask Keegan.) while he finishes his degree. He has some talent and perhaps he will still have an opportunity to play pro hockey in the future, but I guess you have to wonder if that's the life he'll want to live. Not much family time in the pros.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Yes. I'll have an update with the press release in a bit here but he's returning home to be with his three year old son. He's going to transfer to a college closer to home. Hopefully he can continue his career in CIS hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            Yes. I'll have an update with the press release in a bit here but he's returning home to be with his three year old son. He's going to transfer to a college closer to home. Hopefully he can continue his career in CIS hockey.
                            Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
                            I doubt with 5 goals and 15 points last year, and ca career stat line of 9 goals and 33 total points in 78 game will garner him a contract.

I wish him the best in the future!
                            That surprises me. I know it's pretty easy to be more talented than your stats would show if you played for last year's Badgers, but I legitimately felt like he played better than that stat line.

Or maybe I just keep seeing the 'Z' and keep wishing he was Mark Zengerle.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

That surprises me. I know it's pretty easy to be more talented than your stats would show if you played for last year's Badgers, but I legitimately felt like he played better than that stat line.

He can certainly play some. He was on a point streak coming out of the break and Eaves observed today that he played his best hockey at that time, as his family was in Madison visiting. I really thought he was finally getting it going, but in retrospect it seems clear being away from his son and family weighed heavily on him pretty much his whole time here. Good for him for trying to make a go of it, and good for him for recognizing it just wasn't going to work next year. It's difficult to imagine how hard it is, especially for such a young father, but he stuck it out and didn't bail out on his team during the season just because it was hard. Much respect to him and I've no doubt he has a bright future ahead of him in whatever he decides to pursue.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

He never lived up to the hype generated as he was recruited, but very sorry to see him good. I was always waiting for him to break out, but I think he was the kind of player that compliments other talent very well, but isn't the star on his own, and if this years Badgers lacked one thing it was talent to compliment. Wishing him the best on this move.

I have to ask, where are Mike Eaves' sons and maybe he should go spend some time with them too? (sorry couldn't help myself)
                                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                                Originally posted by UWisco
                                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Working...
                                X