Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Holy hell. I had only read Chuck's article.

But now I'm reading this and I just don't know how to process this.

How can this possibly be allowed to stand?

I'm officially done spending money on UW athletics. If I could ask for BTN-free cable right now (AKA if such a thing existed legally right now), I would.

Eaves needs to be gone, and probably Alvarez too, before I come back.
    I'm in the same spot. I just don't understand why the status quo is allowed to continue. (I had more written, but this summed thing up nicely)

Then again, Eaves lost my support with the 1-9-1 start to the 2012-13 season, so maybe I just can't understand.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

I "might" have been less ****ed off with Eaves staying IF he came out and said that the season was a disaster, I need to change my methods/system and try new things because it obviously didn't work out this year, and work my *** off on the recruiting trail to get this program back on the upswing. I could respect it if he took direct accountability and admitted serious change was needed. Instead we get successful failure and Apollo 13, the guy is nutty and it won't get better.

Also Eaves scored 31 goals his senior year and the team scored 59 this year. How the hell can he (and Barry) not see that there is something catastrophically wrong here.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I'm officially done spending money on UW athletics. If I could ask for BTN-free cable right now (AKA if such a thing existed legally right now), I would.

I'm guessing Barry will hold on to AD until he falls over dead in his office one day in the future. He LOVES the power that he has, I think he cares more about the power and "prestige" of his job than how much he is being paid. He isn't walking away anytime soon. Think of all the bowl games he will get to coach in the future when his football coaches bail on him...

I wonder how it will look when the student section eventually begins booing when the head coach is announced....for the home team. I booed all season after cheering for the starters. Oh course there will need to be people in the KC to actually do any booing to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance like the last friday home game be normal next season. Never seen the KC so empty, and I had to explain to my girlfriend's brother who was visiting that people actually use to sit in the 2nd and 3rd tiers, with regularity, and the lower bowl was always full.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Also, I don't buy the youth argument after watching BU advance to the national championship game. I think they said they have 7 "true" freshman on their team.

Youth isn't the issue, not recruiting the right talent or not being able to coach up the talent in a timely fashion appears to be the issue.

Also, North Dakota 7 or 8 Frozen Fours in 11 years? I know the fighting _____ haven't won, but what I wouldn't give as a fan to see UW there that many times the last decade. Every year the people whose houses are not swept away in the latest Red River flooding have so much to look forward to, Badger fans get to complain about their AD and head coach, and if we are lucky will be on the PWR bubble only to finish as the first team out (or just win 4 games while training for Apollo 13).
          Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 04-10-2015, 11:12 AM.
          Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
          Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
          Originally posted by UWisco
          It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
            I "might" have been less ****ed off with Eaves staying IF he came out and said that the season was a disaster, I need to change my methods/system and try new things because it obviously didn't work out this year, and work my *** off on the recruiting trail to get this program back on the upswing. I could respect it if he took direct accountability and admitted serious change was needed.
            YES! I agree 100%.

Instead, he goes into the meeting with JK and BA, with plans on changing NOTHING. They tell him the marketing people say making no change is a tough sell, and then he gets his arm twisted to fire these guys, which seems to be universally agreed that it was a good move, but not the best move.

I'd love to know what he exactly said to the players about the coaches getting the ax.

I'd also love to see MM get some hardball questions on these issues....youth......and recruiting/losing Boeser.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

That quote from the Baggot article is absolutely shocking. I can't even imagine alumni "nudging" kids toward other schools, or...probably more accurately: away from Eaves.

What would Alvarez do if Chryst had conseuctive 5-7 seasons and suddenly J.J. Watt and Russell Wilson or other alums are "nudging" kids to seek opportunities outside of Madison? He'd fire Chryst, that's exactly what he'd do. You cannot have that blemish on your program.

I don't know how else to view it. You just cannot have "Some" alumni "nudging" kids elsewhere. That looks even worse than whiffing on Brock Boeser and believe me word that ex-players are offering advice not to play for Eaves will travel quicker than a cold through the office.

This situation is horribly ****ed up. Prior to this week it was all on Eaves. Now it's on BOTH Eaves and Alvarez. I won't be making any trips to see any Badger sports until Eaves is gone and I'm strongly considering not attending any until Alvarez is gone as well.
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                Also, I don't buy the youth argument after watching BU advance to the national championship game. I think they said they have 7 "true" freshman on their team.

Youth isn't the issue, not recruiting the right talent or not being able to coach up the talent in a timely fashion appears to be the issue.

Also, North Dakota 7 or 8 Frozen Fours in 11 years? I know the fighting _____ haven't won, but what I wouldn't give as a fan to see UW there that many times the last decade. Every year the people whose houses are not swept away in the latest Red River flooding have so much to look forward to, Badger fans get to complain about their AD and head coach, and if we are lucky will be on the PWR bubble only to finish as the first team out (or just win 4 games while training for Apollo 13).
                Youth was never and will never be a problem. Talent and coaching are the fundamental underpinnings of winning hockey and winning titles. Though Eaves did successfully sell that youth excuse in the past.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Did anybody listen to The Barry Alvarez show the other night on the electric radio? Of course it was heavy on basketball and deservedly so. There was plenty football talk. That's it.

NO hockey talk. NO mention of the firings.

Move on, nothing to see here. ****ing pathetic.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I know someone already posted this train of thought, but it bears repeating. The 4 win season our head cosmonaut just led his puppies on is the equivalent of the football team winning 2 games (and we have the same cupcakes....well not for us in hockey apparently....built into our schedule as footyball) or basketball winning 5 games (and I round up half a win for both). Can you imagine the football team losing a scrimmage to a D3 team or the basketball team losing an exhibition to a bunch of high school kids? That is exactly what Eaves pulled off and somehow kept his job. Simply beyond any comprehension to me.

PS...how the hell did the Omaha team make it to the Frozen Four with more freshman then Eaves....It can't be done I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Did anybody listen to The Barry Alvarez show the other night on the electric radio? Of course it was heavy on basketball and deservedly so. There was plenty football talk. That's it.

NO hockey talk. NO mention of the firings.

Move on, nothing to see here. ****ing pathetic.
                      Barry is going nowhere, tough to fire someone who has a statue in front of the stadium. If you think Eave's ego is too big to step down, BA's is 4x's larger. People are so brainwashed on BA, they worship him as an AD(outside the hockey fans). I still can't figure out why. He was an amazing football coach and the program is where it is today, because of him. When it comes to his current job as AD, I just don't see what makes him so special. He has mismanaged most sports outside BB and FB. Even FB, he has handpicked one coach that bolted and hired another that left before he really even got started......my point is to the people who say they are not attending a Badger event until BA steps down.....dig in it is going to be a long holdout.

I was thinking of the BB part of BA handling. You have to give Bo all the credit on this one.

The AD's job is too handle all sports not just a selective few that he deems worthy.
                      Last edited by bucky15; 04-10-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                        I know someone already posted this train of thought, but it bears repeating. The 4 win season our head cosmonaut just led his puppies on is the equivalent of the football team winning 2 games (and we have the same cupcakes....well not for us in hockey apparently....built into our schedule as footyball) or basketball winning 5 games (and I round up half a win for both). Can you imagine the football team losing a scrimmage to a D3 team or the basketball team losing an exhibition to a bunch of high school kids? That is exactly what Eaves pulled off and somehow kept his job. Simply beyond any comprehension to me.

PS...how the hell did the Omaha team make it to the Frozen Four with more freshman then Eaves....It can't be done I tell ya.
                        BA doesn't know UNO as a university exists, let alone that they had more freshman than the UW team.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          Youth was never and will never be a problem. Talent and coaching are the fundamental underpinnings of winning hockey and winning titles. Though Eaves did successfully sell that youth excuse in the past.
                          Yeah, did you notice how young UNO was and they were in the Frozen Four...
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• [QUOTE=bucky15;6148629]Barry is going nowhere, tough to fire someone who has a statue in front of the stadium. If you think Eave's ego is too big to step down, BA's is 4x's larger. People are so brainwashed on BA, they worship him as an AD(outside the hockey fans). I still can't figure out why. He was an amazing football coach and the program is where it is today, because of him. When it comes to his current job as AD, I just don't see what makes him so special. He has mismanaged most sports outside BB and FB. Even FB, he has handpicked one coach that bolted and hired another that left before he really even got started......my point is to the people who say they are not attending a Badger event until BA steps down.....dig in it is going to be a long holdout.

I was thinking of the BB part of BA handling. You have to give Bo all the credit on this one.u

The AD's job is too handle all sports not just a selective few that he deems worthy.[/QUOTe

Also, pat richter hired Bo, correct?

Comment

I guess I just don't really understand what the change in assistants really does. Seems mainly like a PR move to show fans something is being done. But it seems to me most fans believe that the head coach is the issue. Eaves/Alvarez seem to have a disconnect with their fan base

I disagree with Andy's article in one major way. Recruiting shouldn't be a big focus in who is brought in. Not that it should mean nothing but the reality is no matter who comes in as assistants, the kids they recruit are (mostly) going to be a few seasons away... players they may never coach if Eaves doesn't turn things around now. Better to find coaches that are going to affect the current club more as opposed to whether they have good recruiting contacts
                              Last edited by Hammy; 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Also, pat richter hired Bo, correct?
                                Yeap, Bo has been around a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X