PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Almington
04-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Best wishes and God's Blessings to Zully. Some day Noah might be a great legacy recruit for UW. :)

Zully embodies a common theme among Eaves' players in that he was never able to extract game performance out of him that matched is talent. Hopefully the new coaches will be able to correct this flaw.

In this case, I don't really fault Eaves in this specific case. Very little that coaches can do at the college level to help with family issues of all types.

solovsfett
04-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Successfully sell it in the past? He sells this excuse 2 out of 4 years during every recruiting "cycle" of unbalanced classes. While other teams win with young players, Eaves sends them to Space Camp to ready for a future mission of winning once every 4 years.

I think Eaves really would be a good politician. He makes countless excuses, takes no responsibility for his shortcoming or failings, tunes out people who are unhappy w/ him (fans vs voters) and is a self absorbed, arrogant dbag. I think BA keeps Eaves around because Eaves reminds BA of himself. It sure isn't Bo Ryan....

SPOT ON:)

Eaves IS a ******cougar (hey, it sounds funny to me), has 1000 excuses for underperformance or **** performance, is clueless and arrogant and evidently cannot hear the Terms of Enrampagement the UW Hockey fans are on right now. I just cannot contain my anger at this point. I think I'll have to leave another message w/the AD (a diplomatically worded angrygram).

You just wonder how clueless (...or careless? apathetic?) Alvarez and King really are. The KC could get down to 4k per game next year for hockey and I'm not being hyperbolic w/that estimate. Look at the line charts Chuck/Andy posted. Holy **** this team is in trouble and we haven't started the summer yet. What if 1-2 kids decide to transfer to different schools?

WiscDC
04-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Apparently there were a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four this year. That's kind of neat, I guess.

WiscDC
04-11-2015, 11:51 PM
John Ramage played in the NHL tonight? (http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/041115aab.html) That's pretty neat, too!

UWisco
04-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Apparently there were a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four this year. That's kind of neat, I guess.

Yes there was.

CLS
04-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Apparently there were a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four this year. That's kind of neat, I guess.There are always a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four. They seem to be FF lifers who go no matter who's in and regardless of how their team is doing at the time. It was probably good for BU, since folks wearing black seemed to outnumber folks wearing red.

MadCityRich
04-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Eaves took a full page in today's Wisconsin State Urinal (page 8 sports) to thank the fans for support. No apology, although I guess that did come last month. I don't know where to get a link for the sports pages only. It seemed sincere, but it better.

I still will not change my opinion.

Chuck Schwartz
04-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Eaves took a full page in today's Wisconsin State Urinal (page 8 sports) to thank the fans for support. No apology, although I guess that did come last month. I don't know where to get a link for the sports pages only. It seemed sincere, but it better.

I still will not change my opinion.

Anyone have a picture?

Chuck Schwartz
04-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Anyone have a picture?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/AndyJohnsonB5Q">@AndyJohnsonB5Q</a> <a href="http://t.co/Vc8tDIgjRA">pic.twitter.com/Vc8tDIgjRA</a></p>&mdash; Mark Zanoya (@M_Zanasty19) <a href="https://twitter.com/M_Zanasty19/status/587327165303128064">April 12, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gandalf the Red
04-12-2015, 02:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/AndyJohnsonB5Q">@AndyJohnsonB5Q</a> <a href="http://t.co/Vc8tDIgjRA">pic.twitter.com/Vc8tDIgjRA</a></p>— Mark Zanoya (@M_Zanasty19) <a href="https://twitter.com/M_Zanasty19/status/587327165303128064">April 12, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He should have wrote it on toilet paper so I would have some use for what he said.

Maybe Ben Eaves should have been there on friday. I was embarrassed at how small the crowd was for the last friday of the season, especially since it wasn't spring break.

Chuck Schwartz
04-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Dear Badger fans,

One of the people in the stands for our last game of the season at the Kohl Center was Ben Eaves, one of my sons who played college and professional hockey. After the game, Ben came up to me and the first thing he said was how incredible it was that, even though the season was a tough one, there were still so many people in the stands to watch the game. He really couldnít believe it.

It got me thinking that I should find another way to thank all the people who came out to the Kohl Center this season. Badgers fans have always been known as the best there are and you all proved it again this season.

Thank you for your support.

The two things our student-athletes talk about most when they leave the University of Wisconsin are the guys in the locker room who they spend so much time with, and playing in front of the fans at the Kohl Center. It is an experience second to none and one of the best parts of being a part of the Wisconsin hockey program.

We also thank you for the patience youíve shown this year while we build our team into one that fits in with the unmatched tradition of Badger hockey. We struggled this year, but we know that those struggles will pay off going forward.

We have a talented and young nucleus, including 13 first-year players who now have one year of college hockey on their resume. With the hard work the entire team continues to put in, they will be bigger, stronger and faster come October and that makes us all excited for the future.

From upperclassmen like Grant Besse and Kevin Schulze, to underclassmen like Adam Rockwood, Cameron Hughes and Jack Dougherty, we have a great group of young men with great character who carry the torch for all those student-athletes and fans who have made Wisconsin hockey what it is.

Thanks again for everything you do to support us on and off the ice.

We hope to see you back at the Kohl Center next season.

Mike Eaves
Head coach, Wisconsin Menís Hockey

WiscDC
04-12-2015, 03:18 PM
He should have wrote it on toilet paper so I would have some use for what he said.

Maybe Ben Eaves should have been there on friday. I was embarrassed at how small the crowd was for the last friday of the season, especially since it wasn't spring break.

Yeah, the vibe was completely different on Saturday compared to Friday. I didn't make any explicitly critical signs on Friday, but a couple implied the need for change. (I didn't hold them up when the team was on the ice/bench - I firmly believe in supporting them, including the coaches, within the context of the game when I'm in attendance.) Friday was nothing like the excitement that was felt way back during the UND series (and a few other times throughout the year). The energy was just down.

On Saturday, it was all about the seniors, and there were some awesome moments - so great that I keep forgetting that the Badgers were shut out! The arena wasn't full, but those who were there made it feel like a Badger hockey game, unlike the previous night.

solovsfett
04-12-2015, 04:03 PM

Yep. Eaves should make like a tree and...

RedStripes
04-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I think there is a slightly positive way to look at this full page ad combined with the previous apology release. Eaves isn't doing this on his own. Its coming at the direction or with the assistance of the marketing/athletic department folks. I think this shows they are starting to realize there is a major problem with the fanbase and they are throwing some marketing out there to try and minimize the damage. It won't work without a better product but it COULD be a sign they are starting to see a problem.

WiscDC
04-12-2015, 08:03 PM
I think there is a slightly positive way to look at this full page ad combined with the previous apology release. Eaves isn't doing this on his own. Its coming at the direction or with the assistance of the marketing/athletic department folks. I think this shows they are starting to realize there is a major problem with the fanbase and they are throwing some marketing out there to try and minimize the damage. It won't work without a better product but it COULD be a sign they are starting to see a problem.

Starting to realize? They saw the problem at the same time we did, and they went into a very obvious, full-blown freak-out mode last year. I think that there were things they could've capitalized on going into the 2013-14 season, but they were still very aware. This has been a major topic among the UW Athletics marketing folks. Various changes have been made (though I have some more ideas that I'd like to see implemented) during this time.

RedStripes
04-12-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't recall anything before the ad and apology that had the same appearance of begging fans and season ticket holders to please not leave.

Scottyp
04-12-2015, 09:53 PM
I don't recall anything before the ad and apology that had the same appearance of begging fans and season ticket holders to please not leave.

Hmmm. I wonder how much an ad in the WSJ costs. Maybe we could pool our money we saved by not renewing our hockey tickets and submit an ad of our own. I bet we could craft an ad that would really get the athletic department's attention....

WiscDC
04-12-2015, 10:07 PM

The pregame presentation was significantly altered last year as compared to the prior two years. This past summer, they moved the student on-sale date to two weeks after the football ticket sale, so it wasn't literally below the fold in our emails. Oh yeah, and student tickets got way cheaper. They had more discounts for regular fans in 2013-14, with a few games featuring something like 11-dollar(?) upper-reserved tickets. I didn't remember anything like that in 2011-12 or 2012-13. (Come to think of it, I don't remember that this year, despite the success of last year's promotions.) The CreaseCreatures twitter account came into existence, which was created for the sake of fan engagement. They started doing the "season ticket holder of the game" thing. There might be a few other small things I'm forgetting, but maybe not. None of those would be described as appearing to beg fans and season ticket holders to stay, but it was all those things (some large, many small) combined that were noticeable. Comparing the changes made over the last 2 years to the 2 years before, when everything was the same all the time, the changes jumped out at me.

Also, I know that people in the athletic department were talking about it a lot 1-2 years ago.

WiscDC
04-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Hmmm. I wonder how much an ad in the WSJ costs. Maybe we could pool our money we saved by not renewing our hockey tickets and submit an ad of our own. I bet we could craft an ad that would really get the athletic department's attention....

This could be very interesting.

RedStripes
04-12-2015, 10:16 PM
The pregame presentation was significantly altered last year as compared to the prior two years. This past summer, they moved the student on-sale date to two weeks after the football ticket sale, so it wasn't literally below the fold in our emails. Oh yeah, and student tickets got way cheaper. They had more discounts for regular fans in 2013-14, with a few games featuring something like 11-dollar(?) upper-reserved tickets. I didn't remember anything like that in 2011-12 or 2012-13. (Come to think of it, I don't remember that this year, despite the success of last year's promotions.) The CreaseCreatures twitter account came into existence, which was created for the sake of fan engagement. They started doing the "season ticket holder of the game" thing. There might be a few other small things I'm forgetting, but maybe not. None of those would be described as appearing to beg fans and season ticket holders to stay, but it was all those things (some large, many small) combined that were noticeable. Comparing the changes made over the last 2 years to the 2 years before, when everything was the same all the time, the changes jumped out at me.

Also, I know that people in the athletic department were talking about it a lot 1-2 years ago.

Sorry. Didn't mean to suggest there haven't been changes in the last year or two. It just seems like these have a different tone.