Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    A different view that developed through some conversation here...

Seems that the recruiting level hasn't been the same since Osiecki and Kevin Patrick left. So, perhaps, the assistants ARE more of the issue. It's not like Eaves has forgotten what he knows about hockey.

Those who don't like Eaves won't like the line of thought... It certainly makes these hires critical.

A different POV.
    who hired sub par assistants? Yep we know. This doesn't solve the even out of classes that he has done nothing about. so the roller coaster continues. What good assistant is going to want to come to UW with Eaves on the hot seat?
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

I don't think there's any question that making the right hires for assistants can make or break this situation, even among those of us who just want Eaves gone.

IMO the question is going to be: does Eaves really just need the right assistants for recruiting? Or does he need one or two assistants that would be qualified to take his job if/when he gets canned finally?
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        What good assistant is going to want to come to UW with Eaves on the hot seat?
        One who knows he's qualified enough to take over?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          or a former badger like AJ Degenhardt or Chris Tok?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            or a former badger like AJ Degenhardt or Chris Tok?
            I mean, I know them as players, not so much as coaches.

Honestly, I'd expect either unproven assistants or potential future head coaches out of this. Depends on how much support Eaves is getting from Barry. Either good assistants will shy away from the program being in the state its in, or we're going to get someone who thinks that they see the writing on the wall with Eaves and wants the first foot in the door.

I guess there's an outside chance that a quality assistant is interested just based on misplaced prestige (you know... almost like becoming the head football coach at Fordham right now) where he thinks he can help turn the ship around, but it's just hard to imagine that right now.

Comment

No surprise, the handwriting was on the wall. Coaching is a tough business and I certainly thank Gary and Matt for their hard work and wish them the very best in their respective futures.

One downside always is a risk with current recruits, some of whom are very good, but perhaps as important is risk to some of the recent inroads made into Western Canada. Hopefully that can be built upon by the new staff as I firmly believe it's important to the future of the program to recruit North of the border.

I'm guessing there's a short list of guys and probably calls have already been made. Dan Boeser would be an interesting hire at this point...
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Well lets hope. But his history in hiring isn't great since 2010...

I have always been told in business, as a manager, you hire the best people possible, even those that might be better than you some day. I don't know if Eaves has that in him....
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Or how about they just back up the money truck to Don Granato's house and load up Matthews, Tkachuk, and Jones. That would be ok.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

The only way I see this getting turned around for Eaves is an absolute grand slam hire in bringing back Oz as associate head coach/lead assistant whatever title you want to give him. I know he still lives in the area so there might be some appeal to him and his family, although I am not sure how that works with him an assistant in the AHL with Rockford about to get into the playoffs (I can't see him being a guy that walks away from a team he has been a part of all season as they are about to go to the playoffs). The other should be a guy like the one Chuck mentioned (Maco Balkovec) young with Western Canada roots. Maybe Oz can be Eaves Mike Guentzel? Guenzel left for 3 years, and those happened to be 3 of only 4 years where Lucia teams didn't win at least 20 games in his last 22 years of coaching.

(Or Granato is about the only other guy I can think of as McBadgerton suggests). Hire a no experience video guy, a guy out of the fray for a decade who is on a ministry preaching tour, or a guy coaching Bantam hockey and that will be the final nail in the Eaves coffin.
                    Last edited by markwojo; 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

It is obvious that Oz had A LOT to do with the Badgers' success when he was here. As head recruiter, having great classes and talent was never the issue IMO, it was getting them to win the games that was the issue (which I will throw the blame on to Eaves for that since that has been his hallmark during his tenure is under-performing). The blue line in 2010, along with the incredible decline in blue line recruits since Oz left shows his value.

I would love to see Oz come back, but no matter who Eaves hires this time around, even if they are the best assistants and they help turn the program around, I'm done w/ Eaves. Eaves is still the problem and until he is gone, I don't think Wisconsin Hockey ever truly recovers and flourishes again.
                      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                      Originally posted by UWisco
                      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Oz and Don Granato sound like one heck of a 1 - 2 punch.

Comment

Steve Miller formerly of DU would be a good top assistant as well. Now at providence.

Comment

Steve Miller formerly of DU would be a good top assistant as well. Now at providence.
                            Steve "Killer" Miller is Associate Head Coach at Providence as he was with George Gwozdecky at DU and generally acknowledged as a recruiting guru. Well liked and respected--a class act. Many expected he would get Green Bay Gamblers' job 4 or 5 years ago.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Oz and Don Granato sound like one heck of a 1 - 2 punch.
                              Would pretty much render Eaves unnecessary, assuming that's not already the case.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                                Steve "Killer" Miller is Associate Head Coach at Providence as he was with George Gwozdecky at DU and generally acknowledged as a recruiting guru. Well liked and respected--a class act. Many expected he would get Green Bay Gamblers' job 4 or 5 years ago.
                                You mean the guy hired to start the Madison Capitols who bolted from the program before they had even played a game?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X