Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Originally posted by IronMonkee View Post
    I'm not sure a "crimson" qualifies as exotic...
    Yes, as a color it does not even require a seat on the flight out. But it motivates and intimidates nonetheless.

Comment

Very, very nice sentiments in a press release from the Notre Dame Athletic Department:

http://pacmail.em.marketinghq.net/fu...q_v=041e826ee6

Comment

a Harvard-RIT final might be the most intellectual matchup of the weekend.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          a Harvard-RIT final might be the most intellectual matchup of the weekend.

Powers &8^]
          Flattering for RIT, sure, but then no Mavericks remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
            Flattering for RIT, sure, but then no Mavericks remaining.
            OK, then let's just go with the Tigers-Red Cows final. It's a long trip back to Cambridge and we don't want to keep the Crimson out too late. (Of course I'm still sorry RIT didn't get a chance to beat Cornell in the regionals back in 2010 ... then we could have debated the relative merits of RIT-CU and RIT-HU matchups.) Oh well, good luck to all in South Bend and here's to ORANGE being the color of choice.
            -M

Comment

So whose wearing what colors?

RIT - Orange? I'm assuming we're the away team here and that Home = White, away = color. God I hope that they don't decide to go with black.
              MSU - White? Purple? *snickers*
              Harvard - Crimson?
              Omaha- White?

edit - cleaned the dumbness
              Last edited by lmg6841; 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM.
              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Very, very nice sentiments in a press release from the Notre Dame Athletic Department:

http://pacmail.em.marketinghq.net/fu...q_v=041e826ee6
                This is because the AD is scared to death of an empty arena. (ND is all about image...and money) I highly doubt most ND fans will show up. If ND bball wins Thursday, they'll stay home to watch them play Saturday. And the lady bball team should be playing Sunday. ND usually only sells out anymore for the "big" games (BC), and even then there are lots of no-shows. It would not surprise me if there are fewer than 1000 fans--and that counts the several hundred fans from each of the teams playing. But the place only holds 5000, so I'd rather be in a place that is 1/5 full than 1/10 full...

Can you tell how bitter I am with the program that I have supported for 4 decades?
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                  So whose wearing what colors?

RIT - Orange? I'm assuming we're the away team here and that Home = White, away = color. God I hope that they don't decide to go with black.
                  MSU - White? Purple? *snickers*
                  Harvard - Crimson?
                  Miami - White?
                  Miami isn't in this regional - who cares what they wear.
                  Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                  College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                  Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                  Men's Frozen Four 2010
                  Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                  Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by 7outof10 View Post
                    we have to pay $300 tickets to all 3 games a room and buss ride...but im still going and i will have a red shirt on for red cows first game
                    RIT is doing $45 for tickets (first 200 students). Bus is free for first 65 students. Hotel is separate.
                    Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                    College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                    Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                    Men's Frozen Four 2010
                    Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                    Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                      Miami isn't in this regional - who cares what they wear.
                      Yep. Mhm. I totally am aware of this.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        Are they going to allow bells into the venue? lol I know RIT is planning on bringing their band, so noise will be good.
                        They'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          Higher seeds are home teams and will occupy the "Notre Dame" bench at the Compton Family Ice Arena. This means UNO will shoot at the net UNO fans are near for the 1st and 3rd periods. Teams would be reseeded after the games, so if RIT pulls off the upset either UNO or Harvard would be the home team Sunday night. For the UNO fans, your seats are located in the closest corner to the entrance to the CFIA.

The bench on the home team side is significantly higher than the road side, and since Notre Dame built the rink with team benches on both sides, the "home" team has a pretty nice advantage by way of where they sit. Less fatiguing for line changes, as well as the penalty bench is 10 feet from your bench instead of 90 feet across the ice.

The views from most seats at the CFIA are pretty good. The arena has good sight lines and the lighting is focused very well. The view from the upper deck is fabulous, with the caveat that behind the goals you look through the protective netting and unless you are used to that it takes a while to get used to focusing beyond it. The UNO allotment is in the student sections, which means bleachers instead of individual chairback seats. But the legroom is great and the seats aren't cramped at all. Contrast this with the seats along the north end of the building (behind the ND bench and along that side of the rink), which are kind of cramped. Some sections on the opposite end have wider seats. One of my original section mates even moved over to that side after the first season of the CFIA to get access to a better fit.
                          Can't thank you enough for this info.

When I went to get my tickets this afternoon at about 4:00 P.M. (I bought them over the phone at 9:00 A.M this morning), they let me select my seats! Of course, this was from what they then had left. I sure was not expecting that. They had NOTHING left in Sections 2 or 3 and, since I'd prefer not to be behind the netting, I took seats on the aisle in Section 101, which would appear to not be behind the netting.

I then read your post above, verbatim, to the several others that were there for the same reason I was and to all ticket office personnel present. Everyone was quite interested, to say the least.

They did still have tickets available for sale and they told that the student bus junket I posted about earlier in the thread comes out of the overall 400 seat per school allotment.

Me and Mrs. Red Cows will, therefore, be in Section 101, Row 3, Seats 1 & 2. Hope I made a decent choice. No matter what, we'll be around other of our our own fans.

We've decided to leave on Friday, now, and drive as far as the Quad Cities since we don't want to have to leave so early on Saturday and make the whole drive Saturday. We have heard there is road construction on I-80 at various points and we want to get to South Bend early enough to go to our hotel and also eat non-arena food before going there.

Is alcohol served in the arena? At an NCAA tourney event my assumption is no.

Comment

I don't think this has been mentioned in the thread, but RIT is the only New York team in the tournament this year...not Union, not Cornell, not Colgate, etc... It's been a long time since there was a year when all 6 ECAC teams in the state were without a bid.

Comment

I will now answer the question that I asked in our own season thread today. KETV, the ABC affiliate in Omaha, is reporting that Dominic Zombo is practicing with the team and will presumably give it a go this weekend. It is already been established that Ryan Massa is good to go and will be in the net on Saturday, too.

Besides KETV, the NBC affiliate here in Omaha, WOWT, have both announced that they are sending crews to South Bend to cover the game. This is notable since UNO anything is the red-headed step-child of all things Husker around here, not to mention Creighton Basketball, as well.

Comment

Some tidbits from College Hockey, Inc. about our Regional:

Teams have only one Division I title between them (Harvard, 1989); all other regions have at least 10 … Three of the four teams won their conference tournaments (Nebraska Omaha the exception) … Top three goal scorers in the nation are all in this region (Harvard’s Jimmy Vesey, Minnesota State’s Bryce Gervais, RIT’s Matt Garbowsky) … All three senior No. 1 goaltenders in the tournament are in this region.

First round: Minnesota State vs. RIT – Neither team has won a Division I title, although Minnesota State won the Division II title in 1980 and RIT won titles in 1983 (Division II) and ’85 (Division III) … The two oldest teams in the tournament by average age.

First round: Harvard vs. Nebraska Omaha – Harvard head coach Ted Donato played for UNO head coach Dean Blais when Blais was an assistant coach on the 1992 U.S. Olympic team … Three Harvard players played for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL, and sophomore defenseman Clay Anderson is from Omaha.

Potential second round: Minnesota State vs. Nebraska Omaha – The two Mavericks, who both joined Division I in 1996, compete for the Spirit of the Maverick Trophy. They split two regular-season games to open this season … Minnesota State head coach Mike Hastings was an assistant coach at UNO prior to taking over his current position three years ago.
                                Note: They are correct about Mankato's first season of D-1 and wrong about ours. UNO's program did not start until the '97-'98 season, the first ever game being played against the University of Manitoba on 10-17-97, a 3-2 exhibition loss.

Since they went to the trouble of mentioning the Omaha Lancers here at all, anyway, they certainly omitted a gigantic part of Mike Hastings Omaha hockey bio/history, to say the very least.
                                Last edited by Red Cows; 03-24-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X