PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 02:25 PM
No love for UNO or RIT from the "experts" at CHN

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/ncaa/picksRegionals.php
Wow, not one picked RIT to win a game, and just one picked Omaha to win just one game.

And then 5 out of 8 chose Harvard to defeat the tournament's top seed. That's crazy talk, isn't it?

MavHockey14
03-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Wow, not one picked RIT to win a game, and just one picked Omaha to win just one game.

And then 5 out of 8 chose Harvard to defeat the tournament's top seed. That's crazy talk, isn't it?

I'm not saying it can't happen, because I've seen far too many crazy hockey games, but it would be a remarkable feat if the 40th ranked Pairwise team beat the #1 ranked Pairwise team.

MavsFan19
03-25-2015, 02:54 PM
No love for UNO or RIT from the "experts" at CHN

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/ncaa/picksRegionals.php

I think its funny that a lot of people, and rightfully so, are pointing to how strong harvard has looked these past few weeks, but then look at ND and ignore the fact they lost their last 2, and 1 of those was to SCSU. Granted the games are in Fargo but i watched the ND games and they didnt look good at all in St. Paul.

I dont like everyone over looking RIT in round 1 but I will take them overlooking MSUM in the bracket. Im a bit surprised that so many are overlooking UNO.

lmg6841
03-25-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm not saying it can't happen, because I've seen far too many crazy hockey games, but it would be a remarkable feat if the 40th ranked Pairwise team beat the #1 ranked Pairwise team.

*cough*

ZamboniDude
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM

To put it in perspective vs the RIT Frozen Four run in 2010, this year is:
Minnesota St (29-7-3, #1 PWR) vs RIT (19-14-5, #38 PWR)

The 2010 East regional was:
Denver (29-7-4, #2 PWR) vs RIT (26-11-1, #25 PWR)
and then
RIT vs New Hampshire (17-13-7, #11 PWR)

So, from a pairwise perspective, a win for RIT Saturday against MinnSt would be a longer shot than the Denver win in 2010. I guess the question for the fans becomes, in this era of "parity" in D1 hockey, when does a win qualify as a remarkable feat?

dpm105
03-25-2015, 03:53 PM

Agreed, but I do want to point out that Pairwise is really a flawed statistic when evaluating AHC teams. Too few OOC games, too many games against conference opponents with a terrible pairwise. Even the best teams will lose some games in conference throughout the season.

Iwearpurple
03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Agreed, but I do want to point out that Pairwise is really a flawed statistic when evaluating AHC teams. Too few OOC games, too many games against conference opponents with a terrible pairwise. Even the best teams will lose some games in conference throughout the season.

Massey must be more flawed because they have RIT ranked 42nd, and Krach who many have advocated to use rather than pairwise must be completely out of the universe. Krach has RIT ranked 46th.

And Minnesota State did lose 4 conference games this season.

dpm105
03-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Massey must be more flawed because they have RIT ranked 42nd, and Krach who many have advocated to use rather than pairwise must be completely out of the universe. Krach has RIT ranked 46th.

And Minnesota State did lose 4 conference games this season.

I'm not saying that it isn't a ranking that has merit, all I am trying to point out is that the "AHC Tax" on teams in that league is pretty high in the pairwise.

Of course this game will be a massive upset if RIT finds a way to win, they are a member of the worst league in Division 1 and can't award a single athletic scholarship.

The point I was attempting to make (and apparently failed at) was that the difference in quality of team between RIT and Providence may not be as great as the pairwise might indicate.

MavsFan19
03-25-2015, 04:31 PM
With RIT already making a frozen four its kind of selfish of them to try and stop our first attempt. New York hospitality at its finest..... :D

dpm105
03-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Fargo is looking good... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153147457040180.1073741846.183993915179&type=1

Can it be Saturday yet?

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm not saying that it isn't a ranking that has merit, all I am trying to point out is that the "AHC Tax" on teams in that league is pretty high in the pairwise.

Of course this game will be a massive upset if RIT finds a way to win, they are a member of the worst league in Division 1 and can't award a single athletic scholarship.

The point I was attempting to make (and apparently failed at) was that the difference in quality of team between RIT and Providence may not be as great as the pairwise might indicate.
You've raised some questions.

If the teams in a particular conference are as a whole poor, wouldn't a good team rack up an outstanding record against them, win most of its OOC games, and have all that reflected in the PWR?

Are teams that do not award athletic scholarships unable to win the NCAA D1 men's ice hockey national championship?

Has Providence been swapped to South Bend to play RIT? Because that would shorten my trip to see Harvard play, considerably.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Just looking at RIT's schedule. Your guys scheduled games against BC, Yale, UMass Lowell and Minnesota? I think there was potential for some serious PWR advancement if you had beaten any of them.

lmg6841
03-25-2015, 05:15 PM
You've raised some questions.

If the teams in a particular conference are as a whole poor, wouldn't a good team rack up an outstanding record against them, win most of its OOC games, and have all that reflected in the PWR?

Are teams that do not award athletic scholarships unable to win the NCAA D1 men's ice hockey national championship?

Has Providence been swapped to South Bend to play RIT? Because that would shorten my trip to see Harvard play, considerably.

1) Depends on your OOC schedule. You could probably sweep the AHC, have an above .500 OOC and still come in as the 16th seed. Playing teams with bad PWR really wastes your time more than anything. God forbid you start getting ties (look at what happened to RMU). It definitely doesn't help that our conference is at a lower scholarship cap than the rest of college hockey.

2) Union did it, and so can RIT... probably not this year though.

3) Providence is the 15th seed. He's saying that there's probably more parity there than what PWR shows.

dpm105
03-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Just looking at RIT's schedule. Your guys scheduled games against BC, Yale, UMass Lowell and Minnesota? I think there was potential for some serious PWR advancement if you had beaten any of them.

You're right, RIT had four whole chances to play a top 20 (PWR) team this season, what was I thinking? :D

purpleinnebraska
03-25-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm not a math guy so maybe you nerds at RIT can help me out. I'm sympathetic to your argument that there's a bootstrapping effect in the Pairwise that keeps AHA teams down (and this year appears to have elevated a couple NCHC teams), but how would you fix it? Dumb it down for me, if you could

RaceBoarder
03-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Well, if you bought tickets ahead of time, you might want to look into getting some of your money back... They are now offering $15 General Admission tickets for both Friday and Saturday... What's even funnier is that they have the $60 "All-session" tickets still for sale at this time as well :rolleyes:

ND Ticket Site (http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=HOC&linkID=notre-dame&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&hq_e=el&hq_m=869679&hq_l=10&hq_v=09c9624d4c)

manurespreader
03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
According to that hopeless shill Dave Starman, if you are not in the nacho you are losing. sigh. Is objectivity too much to ask for?
Though in his defense he said uno would only win if Massa played, which of course he is.

Chris Clark Fan Club
03-25-2015, 06:56 PM
the fan bus from Mankato was canceled due to not being able to get 30 people on it....that really sucks i was going to go on it and i really wish we could get some better fan support behind are hockey team.....

It isn't support, it is the cost of the bus. Way out of line! I can get a hotel, gas and tickets for half the expense.

dpm105
03-25-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm not a math guy so maybe you nerds at RIT can help me out. I'm sympathetic to your argument that there's a bootstrapping effect in the Pairwise that keeps AHA teams down (and this year appears to have elevated a couple NCHC teams), but how would you fix it? Dumb it down for me, if you could

I'm not sure if you can fix it, the only way that comes to mind is find ways to get more OOC games, but frankly, I don't think most teams in Atlantic Hockey would even want that (some of them have a hard enough time racking up wins in league as it is.)

I also don't know that you need to fix it, I am having a hard time recalling a time where an Atlantic Hockey team legitimately deserved an at large bid but didn't get one due to the profile of the league.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 07:16 PM
You're right, RIT had four whole chances to play a top 20 (PWR) team this season, what was I thinking? :D
It was a serious suggestion. Harvard's 4 (maybe 5) largely OOC wins against ranked teams in the Nov - early Dec run was what took them from way way down in the rankings to #1 PWR. Not a lot of games, they just happened to win them. The ECAC's overall OOC performance was not great this year either, as I understand it.