PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Are they going to allow bells into the venue? lol I know RIT is planning on bringing their band, so noise will be good.

They'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Higher seeds are home teams and will occupy the "Notre Dame" bench at the Compton Family Ice Arena. This means UNO will shoot at the net UNO fans are near for the 1st and 3rd periods. Teams would be reseeded after the games, so if RIT pulls off the upset either UNO or Harvard would be the home team Sunday night. For the UNO fans, your seats are located in the closest corner to the entrance to the CFIA.

The bench on the home team side is significantly higher than the road side, and since Notre Dame built the rink with team benches on both sides, the "home" team has a pretty nice advantage by way of where they sit. Less fatiguing for line changes, as well as the penalty bench is 10 feet from your bench instead of 90 feet across the ice.

The views from most seats at the CFIA are pretty good. The arena has good sight lines and the lighting is focused very well. The view from the upper deck is fabulous, with the caveat that behind the goals you look through the protective netting and unless you are used to that it takes a while to get used to focusing beyond it. The UNO allotment is in the student sections, which means bleachers instead of individual chairback seats. But the legroom is great and the seats aren't cramped at all. Contrast this with the seats along the north end of the building (behind the ND bench and along that side of the rink), which are kind of cramped. Some sections on the opposite end have wider seats. One of my original section mates even moved over to that side after the first season of the CFIA to get access to a better fit.

Can't thank you enough for this info.

When I went to get my tickets this afternoon at about 4:00 P.M. (I bought them over the phone at 9:00 A.M this morning), they let me select my seats! Of course, this was from what they then had left. I sure was not expecting that. They had NOTHING left in Sections 2 or 3 and, since I'd prefer not to be behind the netting, I took seats on the aisle in Section 101, which would appear to not be behind the netting.

I then read your post above, verbatim, to the several others that were there for the same reason I was and to all ticket office personnel present. Everyone was quite interested, to say the least.

They did still have tickets available for sale and they told that the student bus junket I posted about earlier in the thread comes out of the overall 400 seat per school allotment.

Me and Mrs. Red Cows will, therefore, be in Section 101, Row 3, Seats 1 & 2. Hope I made a decent choice. No matter what, we'll be around other of our our own fans.

We've decided to leave on Friday, now, and drive as far as the Quad Cities since we don't want to have to leave so early on Saturday and make the whole drive Saturday. We have heard there is road construction on I-80 at various points and we want to get to South Bend early enough to go to our hotel and also eat non-arena food before going there.

Is alcohol served in the arena? At an NCAA tourney event my assumption is no.

Red Hockey
03-24-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned in the thread, but RIT is the only New York team in the tournament this year...not Union, not Cornell, not Colgate, etc... It's been a long time since there was a year when all 6 ECAC teams in the state were without a bid.

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 09:12 PM
I will now answer the question that I asked in our own season thread today. KETV, the ABC affiliate in Omaha, is reporting that Dominic Zombo is practicing with the team and will presumably give it a go this weekend. It is already been established that Ryan Massa is good to go and will be in the net on Saturday, too.

Besides KETV, the NBC affiliate here in Omaha, WOWT, have both announced that they are sending crews to South Bend to cover the game. This is notable since UNO anything is the red-headed step-child of all things Husker around here, not to mention Creighton Basketball, as well.

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Some tidbits from College Hockey, Inc. about our Regional:

Teams have only one Division I title between them (Harvard, 1989); all other regions have at least 10 … Three of the four teams won their conference tournaments (Nebraska Omaha the exception) … Top three goal scorers in the nation are all in this region (Harvard’s Jimmy Vesey, Minnesota State’s Bryce Gervais, RIT’s Matt Garbowsky) … All three senior No. 1 goaltenders in the tournament are in this region.

First round: Minnesota State vs. RIT – Neither team has won a Division I title, although Minnesota State won the Division II title in 1980 and RIT won titles in 1983 (Division II) and ’85 (Division III) … The two oldest teams in the tournament by average age.

First round: Harvard vs. Nebraska Omaha – Harvard head coach Ted Donato played for UNO head coach Dean Blais when Blais was an assistant coach on the 1992 U.S. Olympic team … Three Harvard players played for the Omaha Lancers of the USHL, and sophomore defenseman Clay Anderson is from Omaha.

Potential second round: Minnesota State vs. Nebraska Omaha – The two Mavericks, who both joined Division I in 1996, compete for the Spirit of the Maverick Trophy. They split two regular-season games to open this season … Minnesota State head coach Mike Hastings was an assistant coach at UNO prior to taking over his current position three years ago.

Note: They are correct about Mankato's first season of D-1 and wrong about ours. UNO's program did not start until the '97-'98 season, the first ever game being played against the University of Manitoba on 10-17-97, a 3-2 exhibition loss.

Since they went to the trouble of mentioning the Omaha Lancers here at all, anyway, they certainly omitted a gigantic part of Mike Hastings Omaha hockey bio/history, to say the very least.

7outof10
03-25-2015, 09:44 AM
the fan bus from Mankato was canceled due to not being able to get 30 people on it....that really sucks i was going to go on it and i really wish we could get some better fan support behind are hockey team.....

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 09:53 AM
the fan bus from Mankato was canceled due to not being able to get 30 people on it....that really sucks i was going to go on it and i really wish we could get some better fan support behind are hockey team.....
Oh man, the #1 team in the country can't get 30 fans to take a ride to the NCAAs. It seems there is something quite wrong with these regionals, locations, timing, match-ups, etc. I'm not certain if Harvard fans would do much better (900 miles, no bus that I've heard about). We do have (nearly) door to door Amtrak service, but I've not read about anyone taking advantage of that. But then I'd pay scalpers prices to see the Crimson in Providence or Manchester, were that an option.

lmg6841
03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Oh man, the #1 team in the country can't get 30 fans to take a ride to the NCAAs. It seems there is something quite wrong with these regionals, locations, timing, match-ups, etc. I'm not certain if Harvard fans would do much better (900 miles, no bus that I've heard about). We do have (nearly) door to door Amtrak service, but I've not read about anyone taking advantage of that. But then I'd pay scalpers prices to see the Crimson in Providence or Manchester, were that an option.

RIT has trimmed down from two to one busses. It really doesn't help that we're on spring break. We're still bringing the band as far as I'm aware.

MavHockey14
03-25-2015, 10:20 AM

I've heard a lot of people who want to roll the dice and go to Boston if they qualify, and can't afford to do both.

ZamboniDude
03-25-2015, 10:21 AM
They'll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.

Lol...this is great. Fortunately for the diehard RIT fans, most of them lived through 60+ games vs Elmira during the D3 days when the Elmira fans were outrageously obnoxious with the cowbells. So I think "more cowbell" in the regional will be just fine.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 10:23 AM
RIT has trimmed down from two to one busses. It really doesn't help that we're on spring break. We're still bringing the band as far as I'm aware.
That's encouraging. I'm sure it's not a short jaunt for you either. Where is RIT?

Bale
03-25-2015, 10:25 AM
I think what you're seeing is people's entertainment dollar being stretched to its limits. A weekend after a conference tourney that you don't know if your team is going to be in or not, you have a national tourney in which you don't know where you're team is going to be playing. Add the costs of the conference tourney (likely $150-200) and a national tourney that costs $250 for transport and hotel plus $60 for a ticket and another $30-40 for food and you have not many people that can afford it.$500 per person ovet the course of 2 weekends is not really realistic foe many people. and if you're really optomistic about your team, add a weekend 2 weeks later in a very expensive city (compared to a place like mankato), you're just not going to get many people to dish that money out. And if you're married, double everything.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 10:25 AM
I've heard a lot of people who want to roll the dice and go to Boston if they qualify, and can't afford to do both.
That's definitely become my approach. I live in Boston, but its going to take a little cash for tickets.

And this game should be in Mankato, wherever that is. You've earned it, and I'm sure you'd fill all the seats.

purpleinnebraska
03-25-2015, 10:55 AM
And if you're married, double everything.

If you're only doubling everything, you married a great woman!

lmg6841
03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
That's definitely become my approach. I live in Boston, but its going to take a little cash for tickets.

And this game should be in Mankato, wherever that is. You've earned it, and I'm sure you'd fill all the seats.

Same. I'd fly out from Denver if RIT made it to Boston. Thankfully I have family I could stay with.

lmg6841
03-25-2015, 10:57 AM
That's encouraging. I'm sure it's not a short jaunt for you either. Where is RIT?

Rensselear..... kidding. Rochester NY. It's an 8 hour drive.

Bale
03-25-2015, 11:25 AM
If you're only doubling everything, you married a great woman!

Haha....touche.

Crimson on the Glass
03-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Rensselear..... kidding. Rochester NY. It's an 8 hour drive.
OK, sure. Eastman School of Music, Kodak, and Wegman's, right? Are you saying 8 hour drive to South Bend, or to most anywhere?

yetanotherx
03-25-2015, 12:13 PM
OK, sure. Eastman School of Music, Kodak, and Wegman's, right? Are you saying 8 hour drive to South Bend, or to most anywhere?

It's 8 hours to South Bend from Rochester.

5thYearFreshman
03-25-2015, 02:20 PM
No love for UNO or RIT from the "experts" at CHN

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/ncaa/picksRegionals.php