PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

lmg6841
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
anyone else catch the twitter debate about eliminating the WCHA and AHC auto bids beacuse those conferences on typical year dont deserve it.. SMH.

Sounds like a great way to have a bunch of programs drop from offering hockey. Once the number of schools participating grows the tournament should go back to offering two autobids to each conference. One for the conference champion and one for the tournament champion.

blazer777
03-23-2015, 03:44 PM
anyone else catch the twitter debate about eliminating the WCHA and AHC auto bids beacuse those conferences on typical year dont deserve it.. SMH.

Let me guess...all written by fans of teams that lose to AHA and WCHA teams and have their dreams crushed, yeah those teams deserve it more! All you got to do is win and you don't have to worry about those WCHA, BTHC and AHC teams!

5thYearFreshman
03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I believe you misspelled BTHC here.

+1

Bale
03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Let me guess...all written by fans of teams that lose to AHA and WCHA teams and have their dreams crushed, yeah those teams deserve it more! All you got to do is win and you don't have to worry about those WCHA, BTHC and AHC teams!

It was said by Ryan Lambert who is known to say things to as click-bait for puck daddy. I wouldn't mind it too much. He's and advanced stats guy that only uses the numbers when it fits his already decided upon conclusion. He got what he was looking for in people talking about it....by the way he's saying now that he was being 80% facetious. Not worth your time worrying about it.

manurespreader
03-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Harvard fan here.

Harvard rides into the tournament on very much a hot streak, and the healthiest the team has been in months. Harvard was ranked #1 in the PWR on Jan 1st, going 10-1-2, including wins at BU, BC, and Lowell (ranked #4 at the time).

Then the injury bug hit and Harvard lost four significant players: Alex Kerfoot (#1 Center), Sean Malone (#2 Center), Patrick McNally (Top Defenseman). Colin Blackwell had already been out for most of the season with concussion issues.

Harvard struggled through Jan and Feb big time and dropped to as low as #21 in the PWR. Guys slowly started to come back and Harvard has regained the form it had in the first half of the year.

they love playing with space (does South Bend have a big sheet?).
South Bend ice is 200 x 90 I believe. Also, you really think you are going to get space? Most likely not.

MavHockey14
03-23-2015, 05:25 PM
I noticed that the Mezzaine level is higher prices for Notre Dame Season Ticket holders..better view? Amenities? Any insight from the locals?

blazer777
03-23-2015, 07:31 PM
It was said by Ryan Lambert who is known to say things to as click-bait for puck daddy. I wouldn't mind it too much. He's and advanced stats guy that only uses the numbers when it fits his already decided upon conclusion. He got what he was looking for in people talking about it....by the way he's saying now that he was being 80% facetious. Not worth your time worrying about it.

I imagine that he was and true, if he got people talking, that can be some good reads.

My focus is on the four teams playing in this regional and how they will fare this coming weekend.

While I'm only 1 hour from Cambridge, I only caught a BU game this season and my trip to see the Tigers play Bentley was canceled by of all things, another freaking snow storm! To the winners go the spoils so hopefully those going to the games will see some good action and tight games.

7outof10
03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
+1

+2

dpm105
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Red cows vs purple cows is okay in this context. I'd pay money to hear it called that way.

Here's to hoping the mascots in the final can be slightly more "exotic".

komey1
03-23-2015, 11:11 PM
I don't see where anyone recapped RIT so here goes.

The big line to watch is the Matt Garbowsky, Brad McGowan, and Josh Mitchell line - aka the MGM line. This line has provided a lot of the scoring for RIT. Matt Garbowsky was the Atlantic Hockey player of the year and defensive forward of the year. Getting secondary scoring from the forwards has been spotty, as has the power play. However, the defense has been much improved from the beginning of the year. They are lead by Alexander Kuquali and the Norish twins Brady and Chase. Brady Norish made the All Atlantic Hockey Rookie team. Jordan Ruby and Mike Rotolo split time in net, as neither was consistant. While Rotolo won the last 3 games of the regular season, he was injured in practice, and Ruby took over. All Ruby did was hold the competition to 6 goals for the tournament (3 games where he held teams to 1).

Keys for RIT wins: Will someone step up from outside the MGM line to score? Andrew Miller and Caleb Cameron could be keys here. The power play HAS to produce. The defense has to keep the pressure off Ruby. The Tigers have been very good on penalty kills, but I don't think you want to tempt fate much with this caliber of team.

Stauber1
03-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Here's to hoping the mascots in the final can be slightly more "exotic".

I'd pay good money if you can come up with a mascot more exotic than a purple cow...

dpm105
03-23-2015, 11:22 PM
I'd pay good money if you can come up with a mascot more exotic than a purple cow...

Brilliant.

7outof10
03-24-2015, 05:51 AM
you can have bull fights between the two mascots

ND-Jim
03-24-2015, 08:09 AM
I noticed that the Mezzaine level is higher prices for Notre Dame Season Ticket holders..better view? Amenities? Any insight from the locals?

If they are Club level (O'Briens) it includes food and cash bar. Generally $60 per ticket during regular season. These are the only mezzanine seats between blue lines.

If any one is looking, I have 4 tickets to the NCAA Midwest Regional in South Bend. The tickets will be for the entire session - both games Saturday and the regional final on Sunday.
Tickets are located in Section 22 Row 1 & 2 . Two seats on the glass and the two seats directly behind them in row 2. Selling on eBay at cost.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NCAA-Hockey-.../321704280246?

Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.
03-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Mezzanine seats are very good. Great views. Same amenities as other seats unless, as mentioned, seats are in O'Brien's (which I doubt are made available as season ticket holders have to pay 2 arms and a leg for those). If the seats in the "boxes" for O'Brien's are available, I highly doubt the pub will be open and serving.

To be honest, there isn't a bad seat in the rink. Good sight lines all around. Save your money. Get the cheapest seats possible and you can likely have your pick of where you really want to sit...

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
i believe you misspelled bthc here.

lol

Crimson on the Glass
03-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a great way to have a bunch of programs drop from offering hockey. Once the number of schools participating grows the tournament should go back to offering two autobids to each conference. One for the conference champion and one for the tournament champion.
It stands to reason, though, that when you have more schools participating you are going to have more (qualifying) conferences. One approach might be to offer one auto-bid to conferences with minimum 6, and two to conferences with minimum 12, for example.

LtPowers
03-24-2015, 09:59 AM
It stands to reason, though, that when you have more schools participating you are going to have more (qualifying) conferences.

Sure, but in the end, that's not really a big deal; how many regular-season champs each year wouldn't make the field as an at-large team? Pretty much just the AHC leader.

Powers &8^]

Red Cows
03-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Just got my tickets. Purchased straight from the UNO Athletic Office. They got 400, of which the school's team and administrative contingent come out of, leaving something in the range of 250 or 300 they thought, to sell to the public, and those went on sale at 9:00 A.M. this morning. Didn't even have to go there. They took my order over the phone.

Sounds like the tickets are being FedExed to them, today, since they told me they didn't expect to physically have them until about 10:30 A.M. and they'd call me when I could come and get them at the ticket office on campus (yikes, parking is a nightmare on campus at UNO during the day and it is pouring rain).

UNO's allotment of tickets is in sections 2, 3, 101, 102, & 103 in one corner of Compton. This is the end the home team shoots at twice.

Question, who are the home teams? The upper seeds? Coin flip? What? This seems like something I should know, but, I don't. Perhaps because we only seem to make the tourney every 5 years or so.

I note that there are lot of tickets for sale at reasonable prices on Stubhub (more than 400 when I last checked). Broker prices still don't reflect reality since they are largely priced ridiculous, from what I can see. Less than a dozen ads on Omaha and South Bend Craigslist, combined, for seats, that I see. Some on eBay as well.

These seem like a relatively easy get for anybody that wants to go. Happy to have paid no more than face and sit with our contingent. I bet there are easily 1,000 of our fans in the building on Saturday. The school expects their allotment to be gone before the end of the day This is an easy 550 mile drive and we are playing the late game on Saturday. We gonna leave at 7-8:00 A.M. or so. Outside of the Regional being in Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Sioux Falls, or something, it really doesn't get a lot better than this.

With it being "Maverick Weekend" in South Bend, there are going to be a ton of cowbells on Saturday for both games (hopefully, on Sunday, too). Mankato is is probably going to have the added benefit of UNO fans cheering for them, too, of the ones that straggle in, early.

Crimson on the Glass
03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Sure, but in the end, that's not really a big deal; how many regular-season champs each year wouldn't make the field as an at-large team? Pretty much just the AHC leader.

Powers &8^]
Certainly true, as most regular season winners will be in good PWR shape, unless they bow out of their tournaments early. If the aim is to get a team like Robert Morris in, then you need that regular season auto-bid, and it will be largely the weaker (OOC record) conferences to which it would apply. If in place this year, I believe it would not have mattered beyond Robert Morris (who would have replaced Providence), though Quinnipiac came close to needing it.