No announcement yet.

Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cow, how much do you want to see the purple Mavs on the 29th?

Comment

Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Red Cows, how much do you want to see the purple Mavs on the 29th?

I think it would be blast.

Losing would suck, though.

Like I said earlier in the thread it would be hard to hate on Mankato, though, and their fans here on the forum are all good guys, too.

Mike Hastings could walk into a lot of bars here in Omaha and drink all night, freebie, still. I've had more than one person tell me they wish he was our head coach instead of Coach Blais. As you know, he was officially the "Head-Coach-in-waiting" here when he took the Mankato gig.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, however, and seem arrogant, since there is a team in our way of that potential game we have zero wins against, only losses, albeit, a very long time ago. And, I know little about them, a sentiment about us they have expressed in their own season thread, I might add.

One thing at a time. Right now, that means that the Red Cows and the Purple Cows first need to win their first-ever NCAA tourney games and get that albatross off both our backs. I think the RIT and Harvard fans as well as their teams have other thoughts on the topic.

Do you guys know if we are doing the return trip to Mankato next season? I assume so.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 03-22-2015, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If msu gets a fan buss I'll go

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          I'm into that sort of thing!

Are you going? My wife actually asked me this today. She knows there is Mankato fan in this forum from Spicer as I have told her there was. I have been there and have liked what I have seen of it, as you know, (very nice small town right on a beautiful lake) but she actually knows some people there and has been there far more times than I have been (she and I only being together for the past 7+ years).

Comment

Great Tweet from UNO forward Luke Nogard that sums things up nicely:

https://twitter.com/lukenogard/statu...93025976291330

Hadn't really thought about that, I have to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              2010 preseason would have been the season after the FF run.

Powers &8^]
              Not sure which I hate the most, you correcting my mistakes or the fact that I make so many!
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Attention Minnesota State fans:
                http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

"According to the MSU athletic department, ticket packages for the regional are $60, which includes both of Saturday's semifinals and Sunday's championship. Call 507-389-6111 or go to the athletics office at Meyers Field House before 5 p.m. Tuesday."

Comment

Originally posted by maverick2009 View Post
                  Attention Minnesota State fans:
                  http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

"According to the MSU athletic department, ticket packages for the regional are $60, which includes both of Saturday's semifinals and Sunday's championship. Call 507-389-6111 or go to the athletics office at Meyers Field House before 5 p.m. Tuesday."
                  Same deal here in Omaha:

http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbm...CLID=209976997

Except you have to show up in person, apparently.

Comment

Harvard fan here.

Harvard rides into the tournament on very much a hot streak, and the healthiest the team has been in months. Harvard was ranked #1 in the PWR on Jan 1st, going 10-1-2, including wins at BU, BC, and Lowell (ranked #4 at the time).

Then the injury bug hit and Harvard lost four significant players: Alex Kerfoot (#1 Center), Sean Malone (#2 Center), Patrick McNally (Top Defenseman). Colin Blackwell had already been out for most of the season with concussion issues.

Harvard struggled through Jan and Feb big time and dropped to as low as #21 in the PWR. Guys slowly started to come back and Harvard has regained the form it had in the first half of the year.

All of these players are now healthy (McNally is probably about 80%) and Harvard has 3 lines that can score, and a solid 4th line that can bang. I would put Harvard's 1st line up against any line in college hockey, including BUs with Eichel. Harvard has a lot of speed and skill and they love playing with space (does South Bend have a big sheet?). They are not overly physical and don't take many penalties. Harvard is not great at face-offs.

Harvard's achilles is probably its D. Outside of McNally, there are no stalwarts back there. They play it simple, but they do not offer much offense. Less is more.

Harvard's goaltending is solid. Michalek is not Lyon or Gillies, but he is very solid and dependable.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                      These aren't the droids you're looking for and that's the way we like it!
                      I hope you realize my jealousy still runs deep for your 2010 win against my Pioneers. I was thinking about going to Ford Field that year. Seriously, one of the most disappointing results I've ever witnessed my team suffer. I'm sure you understand though as we were the #2 overall seed and had such a great team, uggh. I'm getting worked up just talking about it. Best of luck. Congrats on your conference title when everybody around here was picking RM.

Comment

Tweet from John Buccigross of ESPN about UNO underclassmen:

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...70791977684992

In fairness, this was almost a month to the day ago and UNO's total now stand at 81. Dunno if anybody in the next 4 (or someone else) "got" us, since.

Kinda underscores what I said earlier in the thread about where the real talent on this team is.

UNO scored a total of 96 goals on the season. 81 came from freshmen or sophomores. Eighty-one.

It would be apropos to call us "Team Green", except that Ryan Massa is a gigantic reason we are playing any hockey game this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                          Are you going? My wife actually asked me this today. She knows there is Mankato fan in this forum from Spicer as I have told her there was. I have been there and have liked what I have seen of it, as you know, (very nice small town right on a beautiful lake) but she actually knows some people there and has been there far more times than I have been (she and I only being together for the past 7+ years).
                          I will indeed be there. This ride is just too much fun, I don't want to miss a moment. Interesting! I presume you guys have spent some time on Green Lake then!
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            I will indeed be there. This ride is just too much fun, I don't want to miss a moment. Interesting! I presume you guys have spent some time on Green Lake then!
                            I have driven through Spicer several times on my way to St. Cloud since I moved to Omaha from Kansas City in 1990 (my mom and her family are from St. Cloud) and me and the Mrs. have driven up to Breezy Point, on vacation, north of Brainerd, that same way, a couple times since we have been together. I have to check with the boss, but whoever she knows there is involved in city government in Spicer, and, has been for a long time, like 30 years or so. I think these are really better acquaintances of her mom and dad, though. You live in a place that caught my eye the first time I was ever through there. For central Minnesota and not really in "lake country", it stood out to me. Nice town.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                              I have driven through Spicer several times on my way to St. Cloud since I moved to Omaha from Kansas City in 1990 (my mom and her family are from St. Cloud) and me and the Mrs. have driven up to Breezy Point, on vacation, north of Brainerd, that same way, a couple times since we have been together. I have to check with the boss, but whoever she knows there is involved in city government in Spicer, and, has been for a long time, like 30 years or so. I think these are really better acquaintances of her mom and dad, though. You live in a place that caught my eye the first time I was ever through there. For central Minnesota and not really in "lake country", it stood out to me. Nice town.
                              The motto is "Spicer is Nicer!" I love Spicer and the small town feel with the big time lake, it's a blast. Fourth of July week is a crazy time! Having a lake with 9.5 feet clarity in Central Minnesota is such an awesome thing.
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                I would put Harvard's 1st line up against any line in college hockey, including BUs with Eichel. Harvard has a lot of speed and skill and they love playing with space (does South Bend have a big sheet?).
                                Let's not forget to mention Hobey candidate Jimmy Vesey, who had 12 points (including 8 goals) in 7 games in the ECAC playoffs and leads the nation with 31 goals. According to the USCHO Notre Dame home page, the Compton Family Ice arena has dimensions of 200 X 90. So not quite what they had in Lake Placid but comparable to the Bright-Landry.

Comment

Working...
                                X