PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Riz
03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Riz? Have you seen Mankato UNO RIT Harvard play?

I obviously believe MSU can take this regional but I also know better to bet against anyone in a one and done format. I haven't seen RIT or Harvard so I can't say MsuM or UNO is better then them. UNO slumped a bit but blais will have them ready. Should be a great weekend of hockey.
Each time I saw Mankato play I was not impressed. That being said, I think they are a great team. Everybody gets so hurt by my simple prediction against their team haha.

Red Hockey
03-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Harvard was probably the worst matchup for UNO, but stranger things have happened. We'll find out next weekend.

blazer777
03-22-2015, 08:19 PM
My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.

These aren't the droids you're looking for and that's the way we like it! :D

dpm105
03-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Hi All, RIT fan checking in. Fiance and I will be making the trip out from Rochester friday night, cutting the drive in half with a stay in Cleveland. Should hit South Bend between 11:00 - 12:00 on Saturday. Really looking forward to this field as it features 3 teams I've never had a chance to see in person (I grew up in MA and may have seen Harvard when I was very young, but can't be certain.)

Would love to get together with other fans to grab a pint / talk puck before the game (good hockey talk is quite limited with fans from other AHC schools as they...well, don't exist). Also, would love to trade some game pucks if anyone else is into that sort of thing.

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Each time I saw Mankato play I was not impressed. That being said, I think they are a great team. Everybody gets so hurt by my simple prediction against their team haha.

Which games did you see?

MavHockey14
03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi All, RIT fan checking in. Fiance and I will be making the trip out from Rochester friday night, cutting the drive in half with a stay in Cleveland. Should hit South Bend between 11:00 - 12:00 on Saturday. Really looking forward to this field as it features 3 teams I've never had a chance to see in person (I grew up in MA and may have seen Harvard when I was very young, but can't be certain.)

Would love to get together with other fans to grab a pint / talk puck before the game (good hockey talk is quite limited with fans from other AHC schools as they...well, don't exist). Also, would love to trade some game pucks if anyone else is into that sort of thing.

I'm into that sort of thing!

Stauber1
03-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Mankato is easily the most complete team I have seen play this year.
Picking the overall #1 is easy, but that's my pick to take the whole enchilada.

I also agree with Mavsfan19 that given the format anything can happen.

Chris Clark Fan Club
03-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Which games did you see?

Willing to bet it was the NSCC game against BSU? Only game I can think out that they weren't competitive in 5 months.

MSU only lost 2 games in 1 month(October), 1 in each of the last 5 months.

LtPowers
03-22-2015, 09:13 PM
The Tigers tend to start the season slowly and then kick it into gear near the end. 2010 was their run into the FF so they definitely turned it on later that season. Much appears to be the same this season as the team struggled early on but started winning down the stretch to get into the tourney.

2010 preseason would have been the season after the FF run.

Powers &8^]

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Riz? Have you seen Mankato UNO RIT Harvard play?

I obviously believe MSU can take this regional but I also know better to bet against anyone in a one and done format. I haven't seen RIT or Harvard so I can't say MsuM or UNO is better then them. UNO slumped a bit but blais will have them ready. Should be a great weekend of hockey.

I think it is worth mentioning that we have been without our Hobey Baker candidate goalie, senior Ryan Massa, on and off for 8 games since the first of the year with a variety of injuries including the flu and we have been without our senior captain, Dominic Zombo, since the first period of the Saturday night game (January 31st) of our home series with North Dakota, when he took himself out of the game and he hasn't played since (10 games).

Yeah, we admit it. We limped our way into a # 8 Pairwise ranking, a #2 NCAA seed, and a 3rd place finish in the toughest conference in all of college hockey down the stretch despite being minus what are arguably the two best players on our team and who are the only seniors on the squad that are really "quality" players on a team that has 17 underclassmen on it.

A recent tweet from Massa sounds like he gonna be on the ice in South Bend and Zombo said in a recent Omaha World Herald article that even though he needs surgery to fix his problem, he is going to give it a try, if he can.

FWIW, UNO is 6-5-3 against the teams ranked ahead of it in the final Pairwise this season with the 3 ties ALL resulting in shoot-out wins. How many goals did Massa give up to the opposing teams in these 3 particular after-the-overtime shootouts? How about one, total?

I wonder how many teams that finished 8th in Pairwise have ever even played 14 games against teams ranked ahead of them? Probably not a lot.

Chris Clark Fan Club
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Red Cow, how much do you want to see the purple Mavs on the 29th?

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Red Cows, how much do you want to see the purple Mavs on the 29th?

I think it would be blast.

Losing would suck, though.

Like I said earlier in the thread it would be hard to hate on Mankato, though, and their fans here on the forum are all good guys, too.

Mike Hastings could walk into a lot of bars here in Omaha and drink all night, freebie, still. I've had more than one person tell me they wish he was our head coach instead of Coach Blais. As you know, he was officially the "Head-Coach-in-waiting" here when he took the Mankato gig.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, however, and seem arrogant, since there is a team in our way of that potential game we have zero wins against, only losses, albeit, a very long time ago. And, I know little about them, a sentiment about us they have expressed in their own season thread, I might add.

One thing at a time. Right now, that means that the Red Cows and the Purple Cows first need to win their first-ever NCAA tourney games and get that albatross off both our backs. I think the RIT and Harvard fans as well as their teams have other thoughts on the topic.

Do you guys know if we are doing the return trip to Mankato next season? I assume so.

7outof10
03-22-2015, 09:59 PM
If msu gets a fan buss I'll go

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm into that sort of thing!

Are you going? My wife actually asked me this today. She knows there is Mankato fan in this forum from Spicer as I have told her there was. I have been there and have liked what I have seen of it, as you know, (very nice small town right on a beautiful lake) but she actually knows some people there and has been there far more times than I have been (she and I only being together for the past 7+ years).

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Great Tweet from UNO forward Luke Nogard that sums things up nicely:

https://twitter.com/lukenogard/status/579693025976291330

Hadn't really thought about that, I have to admit.

blazer777
03-22-2015, 10:27 PM
2010 preseason would have been the season after the FF run.

Powers &8^]

Not sure which I hate the most, you correcting my mistakes or the fact that I make so many! :D

maverick2009
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Attention Minnesota State fans:
http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

"According to the MSU athletic department, ticket packages for the regional are $60, which includes both of Saturday's semifinals and Sunday's championship. Call 507-389-6111 or go to the athletics office at Meyers Field House before 5 p.m. Tuesday."

Red Cows
03-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Attention Minnesota State fans:
http://mankatofreepresshockey.blogspot.com/

"According to the MSU athletic department, ticket packages for the regional are $60, which includes both of Saturday's semifinals and Sunday's championship. Call 507-389-6111 or go to the athletics office at Meyers Field House before 5 p.m. Tuesday."

Same deal here in Omaha:

http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31400&ATCLID=209976997

Except you have to show up in person, apparently.

bothman
03-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Harvard fan here.

Harvard rides into the tournament on very much a hot streak, and the healthiest the team has been in months. Harvard was ranked #1 in the PWR on Jan 1st, going 10-1-2, including wins at BU, BC, and Lowell (ranked #4 at the time).

Then the injury bug hit and Harvard lost four significant players: Alex Kerfoot (#1 Center), Sean Malone (#2 Center), Patrick McNally (Top Defenseman). Colin Blackwell had already been out for most of the season with concussion issues.

Harvard struggled through Jan and Feb big time and dropped to as low as #21 in the PWR. Guys slowly started to come back and Harvard has regained the form it had in the first half of the year.

All of these players are now healthy (McNally is probably about 80%) and Harvard has 3 lines that can score, and a solid 4th line that can bang. I would put Harvard's 1st line up against any line in college hockey, including BUs with Eichel. Harvard has a lot of speed and skill and they love playing with space (does South Bend have a big sheet?). They are not overly physical and don't take many penalties. Harvard is not great at face-offs.

Harvard's achilles is probably its D. Outside of McNally, there are no stalwarts back there. They play it simple, but they do not offer much offense. Less is more.

Harvard's goaltending is solid. Michalek is not Lyon or Gillies, but he is very solid and dependable.

Riz
03-22-2015, 10:57 PM
These aren't the droids you're looking for and that's the way we like it! :D
I hope you realize my jealousy still runs deep for your 2010 win against my Pioneers. I was thinking about going to Ford Field that year. Seriously, one of the most disappointing results I've ever witnessed my team suffer. I'm sure you understand though as we were the #2 overall seed and had such a great team, uggh. I'm getting worked up just talking about it. Best of luck. Congrats on your conference title when everybody around here was picking RM.