Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Campus sites hosted by 1 seeds.

No, it's not too much to ask for. Baseball and Softball have TBD campus site hosts for their Regional and Super Regionals and play their World Series at neutral locations.
    I'm sure BU would have been happy to host this regional in Boston. Not sure how it would have improved the attendance at the Minn/Minn-Duluth game. Do you really think people in Boston would stick around to watch two Minnesota teams play hockey on a Friday night. I seriously doubt it.

Comment

• Re: Northeast Regional: Boston University, Yale, UMD, Minnesota

There has to be a local team to draw a crowd, so perhaps campus sites would help. But I live in Connecticut where the UConn women's basketball, which draws a good size crowd, just played to an empty arena for an NCAA game they hosted. Fargo has a good crowd tonight.

Comment

WOW!

Did not see that coming. The first 10 minutes showed how rusty UMD was in this game. They were getting dominated on the aggressive forecheck and couldn't control the puck or get any offsensive zone time to save their life. They were doing okay when they scored the first goal (which was a beaut). Then things slowly went UMD's way the rest of the way. By the first it was over (but man I could tell you it was not for this guy) but that was surprising for everyone. I've rambled long enough.

BU will be tough, don't think we'll win but I like our chances. Go BULLDOGS!
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
          There has to be a local team to draw a crowd, so perhaps campus sites would help. But I live in Connecticut where the UConn women's basketball, which draws a good size crowd, just played to an empty arena for an NCAA game they hosted. Fargo has a good crowd tonight.
          Having the game at sometime other than 2:00 PM on a work / school day might have helped some too. (At least for the BU / Yale) game.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            WOW!

Did not see that coming. The first 10 minutes showed how rusty UMD was in this game. They were getting dominated on the aggressive forecheck and couldn't control the puck or get any offsensive zone time to save their life. They were doing okay when they scored the first goal (which was a beaut). Then things slowly went UMD's way the rest of the way. By the first it was over (but man I could tell you it was not for this guy) but that was surprising for everyone. I've rambled long enough.

BU will be tough, don't think we'll win but I like our chances. Go BULLDOGS!

You never know... that's why you play.

Congrats and on behalf of everyone, everywhere, thanks.

Would have been more fun to watch though had Minnesota displayed any backbone at all. Oh well, we'll just have to take what we get.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              Having the game at sometime other than 2:00 PM on a work / school day might have helped some too. (At least for the BU / Yale) game.
              Agreed, but the BU-Yale game had some live bodies. Teams within driving distance. The later game was a ghost town. I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago for the NH high school D-II championship which had a larger crowd.

Comment

The funny thing is... Manchester's attendance was over 5,000 for the day. The same amount of people that is watching the game in Fargo. Just a much bigger arena and people didn't stick around for the second game. If you watched the earlier west regional between St. Cloud and Tech the place had a lot of empty seats. It is hard to keep people in an arena for 7-8 hours in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Some aspects could make the difference for UMD...I don't think depth will be one of them. When we played UMD at the NCSS, we were without Travis Boyd so the third line with Ambroz was playing like a fourth line...and the fourth line was doing less. We now have him back which turns that third line into a second line...and taking pressure of the now third Kloos line which has made them much better. And frankly our fourth line is now controlling play against competing fourth lines as well as any of the top three. The Gophers have the potential of running out of steam on Saturdays as they can fly...but our depth for Friday night should only help us.
                  UMD has no real snipers, but when they have their full roster up front I'll take their 4 lines against anyone. It's basically an above average 1st line and 3 2nd lines... they come in waves and are aggressive on the forecheck. UMD had their 7th and 8th d-men on the 3rd and 4th lines recently. With Toninato/Iafallo back they are back to the 3rd/4th lines that have given everyone fits this year.

I think it's another 50/50 game tomorrow. BU sputtered out of the gates but showed why they have all the hype around them in the 3rd and OT. With the styles both teams play it could very well be the most entertaining game of the tournament which is saying something after 2 OT games today.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                    If anyone's at the arena, can you please shout "hello"? I want to hear if there's an echo.
                    Why can't regionals be in cities that give a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                      Go Dogs!

Let's hope for a real "State of Hockey" Frozen Four with Duluth, Mankato and St. Cloud.
                      I can live with that. Gophers done after one game, the hockey gods got it right.
                      UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        And yet, they still refuse to hold a regional in Maine.
                        Why punish the teams that make said regional
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Agreed, but the BU-Yale game had some live bodies. Teams within driving distance. The later game was a ghost town. I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago for the NH high school D-II championship which had a larger crowd.
                          True, but it likely would have been better with a different game time. I know of at least 15 tickets not sold because of the workday game time. The people I go to games with can't have been the only one in the same boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                            The funny thing is... Manchester's attendance was over 5,000 for the day. The same amount of people that is watching the game in Fargo. Just a much bigger arena and people didn't stick around for the second game. If you watched the earlier west regional between St. Cloud and Tech the place had a lot of empty seats. It is hard to keep people in an arena for 7-8 hours in a row.
                            I didn't stay for the last periods of duluth-goofs

Mookie was counted 2x for that 5,000. I used one ticket for the first game. Then left the building to get a drink between games (yes, it was needed ), then used my 2nd ticket for the nightcap
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              True, but it likely would have been better with a different game time. I know of at least 15 tickets not sold because of the workday game time. The people I go to games with can't have been the only one in the same boat.
                              Good point. The game has a small fan base, schedule the games after work.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                I didn't stay for the last periods of duluth-goofs

Mookie was counted 2x for that 5,000. I used one ticket for the first game. Then left the building to get a drink between games (yes, it was needed ), then used my 2nd ticket for the nightcap
                                Didn'the miss anything. Minny scored and got the SOG total closer, but the game was never in doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X