Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's going to win it all?

Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
    Another back handed compliment. So you are saying 5 teams Adrian played who are better than Trin-trin. I see you probably mean St Norbert, Wisc S-P and possibly Oswego. Who else? ST N missed the tournament entirely so nix them. Oswego laid an egg against Platty. Wisc S-P is in the final dance so perhaps. Who else?

If you look at the power rankings closely you will see that WSP is up there in every category, but Trin-trin was #1 overall and #1 in the East. So the only team i will grant you is WSP, possibly. So much bravado and we haven't played the game yet. The only game that counts now is the next one. Bantams won the ones they had to win to get there. So did Amherst. Right now the NESCAC can crow a little and SUNYAC should show a little humility and take their loses and wait til next year. You don't see the Norwich posters crying over the fact that they were either #1 or #2 in the final rankings, had to play a play in game and play Amherst on the road. Not a peep.
    Once again your NESCAC'ian arrogance showing through...learn how the system works Mr. Ive been " following D3 for 12 years" .....

Norwich wasn't #1 or #2 in the final rankings...Like I said, learn how the system works and get back to us....
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Another back handed compliment. So you are saying 5 teams Adrian played who are better than Trin-trin. I see you probably mean St Norbert, Wisc S-P and possibly Oswego.
      I'm thinking definitely Eau Claire, and possibly River Falls. But hey, you can tell I have a western bias...

The best way to silence all these perceived back-handed compliments is to win it this weekend. Best of luck to them. Internet fodder means nothing, and if they do win it all, I will readily admit that Trinity is the best team in the country regardless of SOG totals or tempo carried on the weekend.

Comment

Also, the single-most reason SNC is not in this year's tournament is due to the fact that Adrian beat SNC 3 times, wrecking their record vs. RNK, and tearing a chunk out of their L25. And even after dealing with all that, SNC barely missed the tournament. If SNC had grabbed any one of those games, they might very well be still playing this coming weekend.

EDIT: I don't think I'd put UWRF in that company. I'd say SNC, UWSP and UWEC would probably stack up quite well with Trinity.
        Last edited by Hammer; 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          We're not worthy...We're not worthy....We're not worthy... Make you feel better little Bantam?

Bantams D, better yet? Goalie was outstanding on rebound control, better yet? Would you like to go to time of possession? I believe I said Trin Trin did a great job taking advantage of their chances. [I]"Trinity won because of hard work IMO. Blocking 30 shots is impressive."[/b] No, saying Trinity is a "nice team" is NOT a dis. A dis would be saying they didn't deserve the win, has anyone? Didn't think so. If you want to put your Trin Trin on a golden platter, you have the floor. The put more goals in the net and earned the right to advance (I think nothing on the contrary has been said here?). You know, its amazing too I didn't know that watching a game on the internet changes the game so much. Oh wait, everyone at the game also said Plattsburgh controlled the game as well. Wow. Amazing. Plattsburgh was getting so many shots because they were pushing the tempo and controlling play. The Trin Trin TEAM defense did an (here we go again) "impressive" job blocking 30+ shots. That to me is way more impressive then putting up 5 goals (1 penalty shot and 1 EN goal but congrats), your team defense was much more impressive, but maybe you don't understand that.
          Guess you flunked communications class at PSU. You continue to be the gift that keeps in giving when it comes to "compliments". Little Bantam??? Have read everything you said so far.

First off, Platty did NOT control the game. They had the better chances in the second period when they realized they were in a game, started finishing their checks and pushing the puck more in the offensive zone. But the lasted about 10-12 minutes. Nichols was more aggressive in the corners finishing their checks then Platty. That is why Trin was able to break out quickly after most offensive trusts by Platty for all but 10 minutes in the 2nd period. One and done is not controlling the game. Its like being good between the 20's but failing inside the red zone. Cards had no 2-1 or 3-2 breaks. So flying up the ice may look nice, but they were covered quickly once they crossed the blue line and most shots were 35-40 footers. Cards could not cycle the puck down low and get set ups in the slot. That's how you control a game and win in the playoffs.

Then Trin-trin got a quick goal in the 3rd and then two bang-bang goals midway in the 3rd. Game over. I've watched college and pro hockey longer than you've probably lived so don't try telling me what controlling a game is all about. The better team won, but you have not been able to say that in all these wonderful posts. But keep trying. Its very entertaining.

Comment

Amherst. They played with a lot of heart against Norwich. The power of persistence. Give them their props.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Amherst. They played with a lot of heart against Norwich. The power of persistence. Give them their props.
              The more I think about the 2nd semi-final, the more it intrigues me.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                I'm thinking definitely Eau Claire, and possibly River Falls. But hey, you can tell I have a western bias...

The best way to silence all these perceived back-handed compliments is to win it this weekend. Best of luck to them. Internet fodder means nothing, and if they do win it all, I will readily admit that Trinity is the best team in the country regardless of SOG totals or tempo carried on the weekend.
                That's OK. It happens. But since i don't know how the system works, what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
                  Right after Trinity beat Nichols, you couldn’t help but declare (again - as you did earlier in the season) that you were “not impressed” with Trinity. You said, “I'm actually more confident in playing Trinity then Nichols….Trinity goalie looked very shakey...” Well, Trinity beat your team 5-1. That is not a close game, especially when your team’s lone goal comes with 30 seconds left in the game. You should show some humility and some semblance of sportsmanship and admit they are a lot better than you thought. Instead, you have now posted two ridiculous rants where you try to justify how Plattsburgh was ACTUALLY the better team in that game, and then “educate” the rest of us…who apparently don’t understand hockey if we don’t see that things such as “attempted shots” are really more accurate indicators for who the better team was on any given night.
                  But please, continue….your posts are priceless right now.
                  Yup I did, just as we heard from several other posters that they "weren't impressed with Amherst or Williams"...guess who won? Larson was outstanding last weekend and Trin Trin's goalie was leaving juicy rebounds and was no where near as comfortable in the net as he was Saturday. Rust? Weeks off (happens when you lose in your conference tournament early, again). He, as well as his team defense, came to play (as seen in their back check and blocking shots). From what I and others saw from Trin Trin last week, they weren't a very impressive team. Can any team "show up" for a game or two? Absolutely. Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't bring hard work any day. And before you or our Trin Trin buddy get your panties in a bunch this doesn't mean Trin Trin doesn't have talent. Offensive numbers are great, but their team defense is impressive. Do they win only 1 out of 10 times? I wouldn't go that far. Not to many teams are going to hold a team like Plattsburgh off the scoreboard giving up 70 shots on a regular basis. You can be one of "those" who just want to look at the score too, have a happy. I'm going out on a limb that you probably didn't see much if any of the game too, but hey the box score says 5-1. Then again if you watched the game you would know that their goal came with much less than 30 seconds.

Is/Was Trinity "better then I thought"? Uh Duh, I don't see where I said something otherwise, but thanks for putting words in my mouth...with that much crow in it I'm surprised you can find room. Should we all get on our knees and bow to the almighty Trin Trin? Give a "Your amazing" speech? And pretend the game didn't happen and nothing happened in the game other then the final score? I believe I've said several times I was impressed with several parts of their game. As I said, IMO if they give up that many shots to Adrian I feel Adrian has better players/finishers then Plattsburgh (I actually picked Adrian before the party even started) and Adrian will not get blanked.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    Once again your NESCAC'ian arrogance showing through...learn how the system works Mr. Ive been " following D3 for 12 years" .....

Norwich wasn't #1 or #2 in the final rankings...Like I said, learn how the system works and get back to us....
                    Really Mr "I know Everything there is to know so **** Little Bantam":.

I guess i misread this:http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-iii-mens-poll/

And this: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwc/d-iii-men/
                    And this: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwc/d-iii-men-east/

But I am sure you have an answer for that like everything else in this thread.

Comment

That's OK. It happens.
                      What happens?

Comment

I will stick my 2 cents in.......Those are not the NCAA rankings and have nothing to do with the NCAA Tourney. That is a poll !! The final NCAA rankings are private and not released to the public !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Yea ya dumb dumb THIS is all that matters...thanks for proving my point...
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Right now, I would put Trin, Amherst and Williams up against any top 3 teams from any other conference on a neutral site and they would hold their own nicely and win some games. Not all, but some. They play different style then what you see out West and in SUNYAC. It might not impress you Remy, but it is effective. NESCAC played interlocking schedule with ECAC East for years (until last year) and held their own fine. Everyone expected the NESCAC to drop off when that arrangement ended in 2013, but now 2 teams in FF next week with wins over Norwich and Platty when it counted. Norwich fans are the classiest I have encountered over the years. Always gracious in defeat. Smash mouth never works when you are on the losing end of a 5-1 loss.

Comment

*Sitting back and enjoying my popcorn for the show..*
                              Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                              2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

As he has said, the USCHO poll is meaningless. The official NCAA regional rankings are all that matter. The most recent version published can be found at http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d3

As you can see, Norwich was #5 in the East. Now, there was 1 more ranking made to seed the NCAA tournament, but it is never published. But looking at the bracket as it was made, and taking into account the 500-mile rule, we can infer a few things about these rankings, and here's how it looks like things shook out in the East...

1. Amherst
                                2. Hobart*
                                3. Plattsburgh*
                                4. Trinity+
                                5. Norwich+
                                6. Oswego+
                                7. UMass-Boston
                                8. Nichols (Babson was clearly dropped, hurting Norwich's resume)

*Thanks to the 500-mile rule, we don't know if Plattsburgh passed Hobart or stayed behind them.

+Again, we don't know the order between Norwich, Oswego, and Trinity. What we know for sure is they were behind Plattsburgh and Amherst, and in all likelihood stayed behind Hobart. Since Norwich was sent to #1 Amherst, I'm guessing they stayed behind Trinity. I dropped Oswego behind them without really looking at the numbers because Norwich won in the weekend after these rankings, while Oswego took a hit in WIN, RNK, L25, and COP with their loss to Plattsburgh.

In all, Norwich was - at best - #4 in East according to the NCAA East Region Ranking Committee, which is the only ranking that matters for anything..
                                Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 03-23-2015, 08:43 PM.
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X