Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

So I have started piecing together next season's schedule. This is based on posts within this forum, the ECAC block schedule (which excludes games against your own travel partner - for us, that's Cornell), 'Gate Radio's tweets on Twitter, and just general precedent:

Oct. 3 Exhibition?
    Oct. 10 @Mercyhurst?
    Oct. 11 @Mercyhurst?

Nov. 6 Quinnipiac
    Nov. 7 Princeton

Nov. 20 @Brown
    Nov. 21 @Yale

Dec. 4 Clarkson
    Dec. 5 St. Lawrence

Jan. 1 @Catamount Cup?
    Jan. 2 @Catamount Cup?

Jan. 15 @Union
    Jan. 16 @RPI
    Jan. 22 Harvard
    Jan. 23 Dartmouth
    Jan. 29 @St. Lawrence
    Jan. 30 @Clarkson
    Feb. 5 @Princeton
    Feb. 6 @Quinnipiac
    Feb. 12 Yale
    Feb. 13 Brown
    Feb. 19 @Dartmouth
    Feb. 20 @Harvard
    Feb. 25 RPI
    Feb. 26 Union

I won't go through the non-conference portion of our schedule, since it's already been posted in this thread. I do find it odd that we would only play 1 game at Northeastern, when they came to Starr Rink for two games this past season. I understand we're in a 6-game, 4-year contract with Providence, though I also find it odd that they would play two of their three games in Hamilton next season at Starr Rink, rather than play one game next year then the other two at the new rink.

The big question regarding next year's schedule is, when will we play Cornell? There's no open weekend in the second half of the season to play the usual home-and-home. Could the Big Red be making their final trip to Starr Rink as early as November? Or will we see something similar to 2009-10 and have a Tuesday night game against Cornell thrown in there somewhere? Based on past seasons, we will play them in Ithaca first, then in Hamilton.
    Colgate '09

Comment

If the league schedule is right, I'd expect us to play Cornell on nov 13-14th. It's rare to have an open date in early November after league play has begun. I'd be stunned if we started league play then out of league and then back.

Maybe Baun is coming back, I haven't seen anything on him signing a pro deal!

Comment

Friday the 13th at Lynah......I like it!!!!

Shhhhhhh about Baun, don't jink us!!

I heard the team is heading back to Italy this summer for games, practice, bonding, etc...seems to me that when they last went in 2011, the team spent a lot time working on their power play. I think we had a better PP when they came back....was a good year....but lost to Union in Semis and SUNY Ithaca in consol game. Hopefully they can find a good PP for next year....the lack of it showed in our last few games this year. 2010-11 record 11-28-3, Italy in August 2011, 2011-12 record 19-17-3......something good must have happened in Italy!!!! Another bonus for Kyle to return, free trip to Italy with the boys!!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
          Nothing yet on Baun at 1:30, holding my breath.
          Sorry but....I know you realize it's just a matter of time.
          I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

As of Monday night Elliot Friedman of Sportsnet said" I'm not 100% sure Baun is signing this year". This is on "Mynhltraderumors.com". The Jets, Leafs, Oilers and Flames are interested.

The longer he doesn't sign, the more my hopes get up.
            Last edited by sshablak; 03-25-2015, 11:27 AM.
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Twitter is reporting than Baun will sign on direct to an NHL roster and that it will not be the Bruins...no word on what team yet.

Ken Schott retweeted

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver ยท 21m21 minutes ago
              Looks like Colgate free agent RW Kyle Baun going straight to an NHL roster, per Bruins source. Doesn't sound like it will be Boston's.

Comment

Originally posted by drewcu View Post
                Twitter is reporting than Baun will sign on direct to an NHL roster and that it will not be the Bruins...no word on what team yet.
                Like I said......
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

I'm holding out hope until a reporter from the team that he signs with reports it

Comment

JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!

Bob McKenzieVerified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Colgate's Kyle Baun, sought after UFA, likely to take tonite before deciding where to sign. CHI, DET, CGY, WPG, EDM amongst most interested.

Comment

Looks like it’s the BlackHawks for Baun..... https://***********/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...33708121530368
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

It's too bad when kids leave early! I think a good number of players have regrets about leaving early. Best of luck to Kyle in his future and thanks for the past 3 years, it should have been 4!!!!! Sad to see the Cornwall line destroyed!

Now who is going to step up and take his place??? Any thoughts?

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie ยท 43s 44 seconds ago

CHI agrees to terms with Kyle Baun.

Comment

So now that Baun is gone, what does everyone think about next season. This gives me great pause.

My guess is that you move Borkowski to the right wing with the spinks. I know mike is a center, but with the entire offseason Id hope shuffling it up won't be too bad.

I think with the departures of the seniors and Baun, we will still have a good team, but if we get injured, we won't even sniff a home playoff game let alone a bye. This year our depth almost got us to the tournament (still tough that we were bounced like we were) but we will be much more fragile next year

Comment

Yeesh ... after years of being "immune" to early departures, we're hit with two of them 3 years apart and Baun was undrafted too!

The good news is that we're in a better position roster-wise then we were in 2012 when Chris Wagner decided to leave early. As far as next year goes, we should still have two scoring lines, one anchored by the Spink twins, and another one with Darcy Murphy and Mike Borkowski. Assuming next year's incoming class consists of 3 forwards and 3 defensemen (based on Chris Heisenberg's recruiting list), we would still have 15 forwards and 8 defensemen. However, one of our returning forwards, Julian Fialkow, has yet to play a minute of ice time outside of exhibition games, so we *functionally* have 11 returning forwards and 5 returning defensemen. It will be mix of old and new players, but we should still have the chops to finish in the top half of the ECAC standings. Maybe one of our 2016 recruits arrives a year early, just like when Wagner departed?
                            Last edited by Rainman; 03-26-2015, 01:31 PM.
                            Colgate '09

Comment

CHN shows three defensemen and four forwards for next year.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Meanwhile, Chris Wagner will play against the Bruins tonight - in Boston! 7 PM on NESN (in New England) and NHL Network (nationally).

I'm going to sign off now until next season. I guess my 2,000th post will have to wait until October.
                                Colgate '09

Comment

Working...
                                X